“Great stay” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 2 Hotels in Horringer
nottimgham
“Great stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 19, 2013

Had a lovely weekend away at The Dower House Apartment.
Breakfast very good lots of choice, easy going buffet. Staff friendly and helpful
Room was huge with lovely period furniture.
Good clean bathroom lots of towels & gowns
A definite return for us :-)

Room Tip: no comment
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Michael K, General Manager at The Ickworth Hotel, responded to this review, May 26, 2013
Thank you I am delighted that you enjoyed the Dower House, now renamed The Lodge at Ickworth from the 1st May as a result of our refurbishing all the areas and also as a testament to the original name of the building. We look forward to your return.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
Berkshire
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 17, 2013

is how my children described their stay at Ickworth earlier on this month. We stayed in the Dower House and had a 2 bedroom apartment for my husband myself and 3 children - all worked very well. Made use of the bicycles and cycled to and from the main house, which in the dark after dinner the children thought was fab! Overall a wonderful experience - lovely hotel, beautiful grounds, very nice staff and excellent food. Sadly the hotel was let down by the lack of staff - it was a beautiful bank holiday weekend and we waited for our lunch for 1 1/2hours outside - the young staff were inexperienced and extremely hassled! We had a similar experience in the conservatory restaurant - whereas the food was great, the kitchen is really let down by the waiting staff. I cannot say the same for staff in the Dower House - where service was super efficient. We ordered a bottle of rose on the Saturday night - but there wasn't any chilled! I couldn't believe it - not good!! The pool also got very crowded - lots and lots and lots of small children!! So although slightly let down by staffing issues and no cold wine (!) this was a super super weekend - loved by our children - one of whom was in tears as we left!! Would certainly return.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for kind and constructive comments regarding your stay at The Ickworth. Regrettably on the day you spent in the walled garden which was indeed a beautiful day we were unfortunately let down by three staff not turning up for work which created a significant shortfall on our service. We have moved the tables and allocate specific staff to the walled garden and also a specific menu to ensure that we give the correct service. Your comments helped us review this service area and I appreciate your points. In all other matters I am glad that you and your children enjoyed their stay, we look forward to welcoming you back.
Exeter, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2013

We surprised my Mum and Dad with an overnight hotel stay at The Ickworth Hotel and we were not disappointed. The welcome was immediate and set the tone for the entire visit. The staff could not have been more helpful and that includes the porter, the waiting staff and the staff on reception. As this was a gift we were placing our trust in the hotel to deliver this, which they did, if anything they exceeded our expectations.
The room and the food were all excellent too, with very good facilities in the room and the tranquility very often hard to find in a hotel was a joy.
It really doesn't matter how exceptional the hotel fixtures and fittings are. The staff make the hotel special and memorable and if this is what you are seeking then the Ickworth Hotel is for you. My Mum and Dad can't stop singing its praises!

Room Tip: Room overlooking the garden was very tranquil.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your kind comments and we sincerely appreciate your views about our staff, they all work very hard and care about the work they do. I have ensured that they are aware of your comments. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 12, 2013

Close, but not there. Spent a wonderful weekend with the family (this is very much a hotel for families by the way, couples looking for a quiet escape beware!) at this beautiful house in Suffolk. Being part of a national trust building and being able to visit the collection made it special.

However, a few things does let the place down - namely the service. Fredericks was great, but eating in the conservatory was a different experience altogether. I don't really want my waitress guessing at the specials, struggling with taking an order, telling my wife to shush when she is trying to attract her attention, or them complaining how much longer they have to work again and again, or joining in on our conversations (you get the idea). The kids serving were great, very polite and attentive, and the 'adults' could learn a thing or two from them.

Unfortunately, that wasn't an isolated experience eating there, but don't let that put you off staying as the building and grounds are great, rooms beautiful, and kids well looked after.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your comments, I believe that you also wrote to me about this for which I have responded. As I have stated in my reply to you, we are currently recruiting staff for The Conservatory and regrettably the actions of this person who was on trial were not acceptable and they have not been taken on. I am very sorry that that you were inconvenienced by this, I am however delighted that you enjoyed Fredericks and all the other facilities at the property.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 27, 2013

attended meeting over two days, avery relaxed envoirement the staff and the hotel could not have been more helpful.The food was excellent and always on time in the evening we managed to get acycle ride it was great and enjoyable . Ickworth, thanks we will definitley be back and tak advantage of all the other facilites and next time iwill bring thechildren

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Michael K, Manager at The Ickworth Hotel, responded to this review, April 28, 2013
I am delighted that all the arrangements for your two day meeting went so well and that you were able to enjoy a cycle around the 1800 acres of The Ickworth Estate in the evening. I will pass on your comments to the team who always take a great care in making sure that events such as yours are looked after carefully.
We look forward to welcoming you back with your children, let me know when and I would be delighted to make the arrangements for you.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

Recently my sister and I had to be near Newmarket and we chose the Ickworth of the web, what a surprise, I was aware that this was a very child friendly hotel and indeed it was,however the Ickworth seemed to get the right mix for all guests.
I particularly enjoyed sitting in the walled garden on one of our first warm sunny days and yet the children playing in the Fairy Garden next to us did not affect our peace.
The staff were always friendly and helpful and went out of their way to ensure that we were comfortable.
I used the Spa, lovely treatments, great Indian Head massage. Dinner in Fredericks was a particular pleasure , great food and breakfast in the Conservatory in the morning sun is wonderful. Thank you Ickworth I will be back and with the grandchildren.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the gardens
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your kind comments over your stay at The Ickworth with your sister, I am particularly interested that although you were visiting Newmarket you found us so convenient for there.
You are right we are a very child ( and dog) friendly hotel but that our staff were able to ensure that you could have a peaceful stay, is indeed a pleasure.
I note that you are hoping to bring your grandchildren on your next stay and i certainly look forward to welcoming you and your grandchildren back to The Ickworth.
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 26, 2013

I would just like to say what a wonderful stay we had at this hotel. The staff were friendly, helpful and at all times incredibly aware of how to deal with small children. My partner and I stayed at the hotel for a weekend and my son Jack had a wonderful time. The creche is superb. It gave me and my partner a much needed break to have time to swim and enjoy some spa treatments.
The food in the Conservatory Restaurant was great and with the babysitting service gave us time to enjoy the meal in Frederiks which was delightful.
I can highly recommend this hotel as a getaway for all parents with small children.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your very kind comments and I am particularly pleased that Jack enjoyed his time with us in the Four Bears Den, but that you also had time for yourselves as well. We very much look forward to welcoming you back to The Ickworth.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Horringer
The Angel Hotel
#1 of 8 in Newmarket
All Saints Hotel
All Saints Hotel
#6 of 11 in Bury St. Edmunds

Been to The Ickworth Hotel? Share your experiences!