“Ok for a few hours”

14 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 21 helpful votes
“Ok for a few hours”
Reviewed May 19, 2014 via mobile

This place is ok. Not as good as a similar place we've been to in York (where we live) it's alright to keep the kids amused for a couple of hours but the signs are quite unwelcoming. No adults on play areas, all of the places I've been to in the past encourage adults to join in on the slides etc, I was glad to see adults ignored this rule. No photography.... why? People tend to want to take photos of their kids having fun....! The customer notice about the food and drink rule is really rude, that's usually the rule (no food and drink allowed unless bought on premises) but there's no need to be rude about it! Really rude notice in toilets re hand towels and kids messing about with them too. It's called a fun shack but clearly the management are not very fun!! As I say it's an ok place for a couple of hours but my local in York (Creepy crawlies) is much more friendly and welcoming!

1 Thank Nicola C

north east
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“Won't be returning”
Reviewed May 13, 2014 via mobile

I have passed the signs quite a few times so whilst trying to entertain an active 2 year old on a rainy day I thought why not give it a try.

My first shock was the cost of £6 for both of us to get in, I had been looking at other centres in the internet where it was around £4-£5 but you can hardly turn around and say no to a 2 year old when they can see the play area. I later read that this price was because I had to also pay as an adult (please explain what this cost actually covers)

The first thing I noticed when I went in was the big signs saying over 4s only on most of the big play areas and the upstairs part. I immediately thought well that's no good, then I spotted the small under 4 area, this didn't keep my nephew entertained for very long and especially more so as one of the areas was taken up by boisterous older children.

I personally didn't have a problem with older children playing in the area despite the signs had my nephew had other areas to go.

In the end I just took him into the over 4s area and he had great fun running around there while I watched him from the outside. Some bits were a bit big for him but I just directed him a different way.

Why be so strict with separate areas for toddlers and older children, I can appreciate a baby section but as a 2 year old he is more than capable of finding his way around avoiding risk and dodging the older children (the children in the older area were more friendly and helpful to him than the boisterous rude boys in the toddler area)

I saw one staff member ask a little girl if she was over 4 she had to leave the toddler area yet she was a lovely child, playing in the area nicely, yet the four boisterous boys calling my nephew snot face and throwing balls of him were not approached once!

Having to pay such a high entrance price I wouldn't then expect to be surrounded by things that cost additional money and at £1 a ride I think that is pretty steep.

I took a bottle of water in with me and gave my nephew that, despite more signs telling me I wasn't allowed.

Too many restrictions on plain basic fun, as an adult I take a child to soft play knowing the risks so let me make the decision on suitable areas to play because if things start getting too much for the child we simply move them to another area.

Total money making scam that a lot of people use as a place to entertain children after school and to feed them a cheap meal instead of doing some hard work at home!

3 Thank hillsandphilly
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Price hike too much”
Reviewed May 12, 2014 via mobile

I've been going there for a couple of years. I would normally buy ten session for £40. This has now changed to £50! That's simply too much of a price hike in one hit! Adult prices have also changed from 50p to £1. I can't even understand why adults pay in the first place. A lot of people are now going elsewhere and I can see the place going downhill especially cause of the amount of people disgusted with the prices. They've even stopped giving the kids the meal they used to get for free. Plus they've put up all the prices on the menu, a salad is £7!

To make matters worse the standard of the place has gone downhill too. Was there yesterday and one trampoline isn't working, no hand gel in the toilets and a lot of patch work on the soft play areas. The customer service wasn't good at all. Not sure if it's under new management or not but I won't be going again!

2 Thank Verna K
Sunderland, United Kingdom
24 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 23 helpful votes
“Costs more and you get less”
Reviewed May 9, 2014 via mobile

Been going here a while now as I live locally. However after visiting on Wednesday I can honestly say I'll be finding somewhere else to go. Toddler time is now £4.50 and you no longer get a sandwich, it's been replaced with 2 cheap biscuits which is a shame. Also to charge £1 per adult is disgraceful!! This charge is for every adult not just additional ones, you get an hour and a half even at quiet times and the whole atmosphere has become quite unwelcoming. There are signs everywhere telling you what to do, or rather what not to do!! The food is poor for the price and drinks are expensive. To top it off I was bitten by some sort of critter whilst I was there (several times) which isn't surprising as it's quite grubby.

3 Thank BexandLibby
Seaham, United Kingdom
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Great from a kids perspective...”
Reviewed May 7, 2014

...from an adults point of view - grubby & dated, although I can appreciate how difficult it would be to keep this place immaculate!

its ideal for a rainy or miserable day however its far better to let your kids run round in the fresh air... Because its a metal building it can be very stuffy depending on how busy it is. Admission prices are reasonable, cafe prices are certainly not and they don't really have a healthy option. There are designated areas for particular ages and loads to do and explore with gated areas to help keep kids safe. The large seating area in the middle seems to be the place where everyone dumps their belongings and then walk off... Not the safest option, i would much prefer a locker to keep my stuff in?

Overall.... Ok for a once in a while, define rainy day saver

Visited April 2014