“Just perfect!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Seaham
Eastshaw Guest House
Ranked #1 of 6 Seaham B&B and Inns
Reviewed January 8, 2013

As soon as I stepped into this gorgeous cottage I was smitten! It has been renovated beautifully but still managed to keep the old charm and cosy feel of the place. I especially liked the log burning fires and stripped wooden floors. The attention to detail and thought was there to cater for your every need and was much appreciated. It really is a place that you can just unwind and relax in beautiful surroundings. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it and am definitely going back!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank 123Daisy123
Mick_and_Jules, Owner at Eastshaw Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded January 11, 2013

Thank you for taking the time to write your kind review.
We are so pleased that you enjoyed your Christmas at the cottage.
We look forward to seeing you soon.

Reviewed December 27, 2012

We-extended family- stayed with Mick and Julie at both the cottage and the guesthouse last month. Both properties are immaculate and so cosy. The guesthouse is right on the seafront with lovely views, great log burners, comfy chairs, fabulous dog.....it was such a great place to stay that I am taking the opportunity during the hols to write my first ever review for trip advisor. The cottage is a real gem- where we found a lovely thoughtful welcome pack incuding wine, milk, jam and a still warm loaf of homemade bread! It is very well equiped - kitchen cupboards stocked with more 'basics' than my own cupboards. And the bathroom was like a mini chemist shop! The decor is lovely and again the wonderful log burners. Oh and lovely comfy pillows and quality sheets. And when morning came I was able to see what a picturesque setting the cottage has- yet only 5 mins from Dalton Park and the A19. Thoroughly recommend.

1  Thank angela7171
sirbentlug, Owner at Eastshaw Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2012

Thank you Angela for your lovely review, we're very honoured to be your first on TripAdvisor! We're also glad that you enjoyed your stay, it's always great to hear that our guests love the cottage as much as we do. We look forward to seeing you again, Mick and Jules

Reviewed December 4, 2012

Mick and Julie are great hosts.

The room I had - the double was very comfortable, the only thing it lacked was a table to work at (I was in the area on a course) but there is a suitable table in the window of the lounge that you can sit at if you want to.

The rooms don't have ensuite bathrooms which would immediately put a lot of people off BUT and this is a big BUT, Mick and Julie have just three rooms. If you book in they don't let the other two - unless you are all staying together ie a family group. This means that its not unlike being at home - theres no standing on the landing waiting for a stranger to come out of the shower. No awkward conversations over the breakfast table, if anyone wakes you up rolling in drunk - its one of your family or friends and you can give them a roasting in the morning as you see fit!

I don't know their personal circumstances but I get the impression that Mick and Julie don't have to squeeze every last penny out of 'the business' and have to have 66% occupancy just to break even on the mortgage and that they put customer satisfaction high on their agenda.

If you are a dog lover there is someone waiting at Eastshaw to be your new best friend. Henry is the resident black labrador and is such a sweetie. If you don't like dogs, Henry is kept out of your way and the rooms were spotless not a sign of a dog hair anywhere.

However, if you love dogs, then Henry is yours to fuss over to your hearts content. Not having had a dog of my own for a long time now it was a real treat to be able to sit in a comfy armchair in my room with the log burner going, radio 4 on a proper radio (Hacker fm radio with the rich tone you only get from a radio with a wooden case, whoops, anorak starting to show there!) a gin in one hand and making a fuss of Henry with the other. That dog lives the life of Riley! He is however a labrador and his entire life revolves around food and fuss - don't leave anything edible lying around if Henry is coming to visit!

Henry will be your best friend for as long as you stay and as long as you make a fuss of him.

The breakfast was cooked to order, placed the night before. The full english was just the ticket complete with decent black pudding and home made bread - except for the day that Henry had pinched it but one look into those big innocent butter wouldn't melt eyes and the emergency supply of white toast wasn't so bad ;o)

As I was on a course for two days I didn't get to see much of Seaham in daylight until it was time to come home. I did manage to get down onto the beach - 100 yards north of the guest house around 9.30am and was blessed with a break in the clouds and the low angle winter sun coming through. The tide was out but on its way in and I had half an hour or so of photography - something of a treat for me. If I can attach photos to this at a later date I'll put a couple of them on - haven't cropped and tinkered with them yet.

Would I stay at Eastshaw again - without a doubt either on my own or with the family.

I would also recommend eating at Massimos italian and a visit to Licketysplit ice cream parlour for a treat.

Room Tip: The double room at the front has a view of the sea and the town. It has good double glazing and I d...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank dudley s
sirbentlug, Owner at Eastshaw Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded December 6, 2012

Dear Dudley

Thank you for what can only be described as a generous and comprehensive review.
We are so glad you enjoyed yourself and appreciated what we try and do here.

I'd be keen to see those photos when you have the chance and enjoyed our conversations on photography.

Stay well and a
Have a merry Christmas.

Mick and Jules.

Reviewed November 27, 2012

We have spent a week at the cottage once before and have recommened it to all our friends. Mick & Julie have made this a home from home. It is an end of terrace cottage with a stream at the bottom of the garden and lots of bird feeders fo those who like to sit and enjoy the vista. The cottage is delightful with logburners in both diningroom and lounge, although the central heating is perfectly adequate for those that do not want to light fires.
We come up north to see family but it is very hard to tear ourselves away from this wonderful retreat, although it is very convenient to visit both Durham and Newcastle as well as the coast.
Mick supplies a starter pack of food and a bottle of wine, which for return guests is personalised as he gets to know one's own choices of cereals etc.
Julie & Mick are always at the end of thephone if you have any queries.
Last time we came our daughter stayed at their B&B whilst we stayed at the cottage and their experience was as nice as ours. So if you want B&B or self catering contact Julie & Mick and you will have a great time.

Room Tip: double bedroom & second bedroom with a large comfortable bunkbeds
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
sirbentlug, Owner at Eastshaw Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Dear Jackie and Ron.

Thank you for making the time to write your review.

I'm glad you've appreciated the birds at the cottage as we do.

It was our pleasure to share our little Shangri-La with you

Many thanks

Reviewed November 27, 2012

My husband and I spent 2 nights at this most beautiful guesthouse. Warm and welcoming with a lovely atmosphere where nothing was too much trouble. Attention to detail was second to none - wood burning stove in November, what more could you ask for. Cooked breakfast was fabulous as was the fresh home baked bread. And of course to cap the experience there was Henry the dog.
Many thanks from Helen and Jim

Hello Helen.

Thank you for your review.

I'm writing this next to one of the wood burners and considering putting the Christmas decorations up.

I'm glad you enjoyed yourselves and hope Jims mam enjoyed the bread buns.

Have a merry Christmas.

Reviewed November 19, 2012

We spent 5 days with Mick and Julie and they made us feel totally at home. Nothing was too much trouble to make us more comfortable. It goes to show that in the end it will always be about people. We have already rebooked. Bob and Pat.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
sirbentlug, Owner at Eastshaw Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded November 27, 2012

Dear Bob and Pat.

Thank you for taking the time to write your kind review.

We are so pleased you enjoyed staying with us. It was our pleasure.

Look forward to seeing you in August.

Regards

Reviewed November 3, 2012

My 13 year old son and I stayed in Mick and Julie's lovely cottage for 3 nights whilst visiting family in the area. We have previously stayed in their guesthouse in Seaham which is also very impressive. This was our first time at the cottage which I would highly recommend as it is tastefully decorated, clean and very homely. The cottage is well equipped and in a lovely location with a river view from the kitchen window. Mick and Julie have clearly put considerable thought and great attention to detail in decorating and furnishing the cottage. Thoughtful touches such as bottle of wine for mum and bag of sweets for son together with a plentiful supply of logs for the woodburners and fresh flowers made this a delightful stay. We look forward to returning.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with family
sirbentlug, Owner at Eastshaw Guest House, responded to this reviewResponded November 13, 2012

Hello Ann

Thank you for your lovely review, we are enjoying a couple of days at the cottage ourselves just to make sure everything works as it should.
I look forward to seeing you and George soon.

Take care and have a easy Christmas.

Many thanks Mick and Jules

Also consider these accommodations in or near Seaham
Seaham Hall
Highfield Hotel
Highfield Hotel
#1 of 1 in Houghton-le-Spring
Durham Marriott Hotel Royal County

Been to Eastshaw Guest House? Share your experiences!