“Like waiting for paint to dry!”

Lickety Split Creamery & Juice Bar
Ranked #2 of 5 Dessert in Seaham
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Description: We are a 1950s all american ice cream parlour selling top grade ices and award winning dishes, award winning fairtrade coffee and lovely hotdogs at reasonable prices. We are not the cheapest but if you want quality then we are number 1. A family owned business we were the first of its kind in the North East and are still the peoples choice for this type of thing. Queues can be long at peak times (1-5 on weekends and school holidays) so please come prepared. off peak times are 10am until 1pm where you may not need queue of queue for less.
Reviewed April 4, 2013

I have been to this ice-cream parlor twice before today and both times I felt like the wait to be served at the counter spoilt the experience from the start. The actual ice-creams they serve are nice and the decor in the place is nice in keeping with the theme but nothing much more than this. Today it just let me down to the point that I do not want to return. There were numerous staff and not a lot of people waiting to be served but saying that it was like waiting for paint to dry is an understatement really! My children became so uneasy with the waiting that my husband had to take two of them back to the car to wait while I waited to be served with my son. When we were eventually served the girl who served us looked like she had been slapped in the face with a wet kipper and she was far from friendly. Such a shame that the organisation of service cannot be reconfigured to suit customers especially those with children!

Salama55, Owner at Lickety Split Creamery & Juice Bar, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2013

Sorry your experience waqs not pleasant, I would very much like more details on what happened, could you please drop me an email info@lickety-split.co.uk

There are newer reviews for Lickety Split Creamery & Juice Bar

Reviewed April 4, 2013

I have been to Lickety Split several times before, but when I visited this Easter weekend the experience was a bit of a dissapointment. Don't get me wrong, the quality of the savoury food and the ice creams is still superb, BUT the serving staff are a bunch of teenage girls. Had to queue for over an hour to get served and once inside found out why. It took one girl nearly 15 mins to make a cup of coffee! The staff fall over each other and simply do not seem to know what to do. This combined with their liking to chat and giggle amonst themselves accounted for the long wait. All it would take is a little supervision and some clear leadership from an older member of staff. Sadly I won't be a hurry to return, which is a shame as they do so much that is right and it would take so little to make such a difference

Please read our response to your friends review dated 3rd april

Reviewed April 2, 2013 via mobile

I have to say that as much as I love the place and its products, the service has lately deteriorated to ridicoulous levels. We were in a queue outside for over an hour and when we were finally queuing inside we saw the reality. A pack of very busy but also VERY inefficiently organised group of teenagers running the show with no clear guidelines and or supervision. It took over 10 mins to get a cooffee ready to one of the girls. She kept bumping into her coworkers and she kept going back and forth to get a cup. Back, then a plate. Back, then the little cone holder. Back, then go again for the ice cream little scoop. Back again, and having a gossip and a giggle on the way. Finally get the cup in the machine to pour the coffee. Horray. Then another giggle with her coworkers leaving the coffee ready in the machine for at least a couple of mins. Who wants a hot coffee on a cold day and after waiting outside for over an hour, right? The till was constantly left unattended in spite of having about six members of staff available. They need structure, a system which allows them to have things at hand to use their time efficiently. And they need an adult overlooking the operation. Not in a rush to go back. Love the ice creams but with appaling service I pass.

Thanks for your review and feedback, while I understand your frustration at waiting so long, although our queues are never an hour long, you have to understand that we are ery popular. there are times you can visit where there is no queue or less of a queue, see our facebook page for more detals on the quietest times to visit. We only have 2 teenagers on our books and they are employed to clean tables and stock up for the counter staff, the average age of our counter staff is 25. We fully understand your frustrations with having to wait then witness the employees chatting. Thise responsible have been spoken to andf this will be monitored very closely.
There was one of us on duty that day to oversee everything however we treat our employees with enough respect that they will work well on their own given their adult ages, clearly this was not the case when you visited. I would be very gratefull for the girls name who was chatting and giggling. info@lickety-split.co.uk

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Its like an American soda bar, with a big choice of ice cream varieties put together. I particularly like the one with turkish delight....

Reviewed March 28, 2013

So many tastes, so little time. Lickety Split provides the widest range of ice creams, sundaes, drinks that I know of. It's probably the best value too. They're too good to save for summertime. What better place to spend a frozen afternoon on the coast than in Lickety Split.