“Aye, canny canny.”

Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Seaham, United Kingdom
“Aye, canny canny.”
Reviewed July 28, 2014

I know it's all about opinion and the glowing recent reviews of Martinos put me in a minority when I say this place really is average. Well, maybe that's a tad harsh. Probably the best way to describe it, as a northern lad, is that it's 'canny'. It's a canny place to have tea. But the ingredients are basic, sauces unimaginative, lager and wine luke warm and service a little tardy (I've ben here three times and on each occasion they have been 'short staffed'). It's better than Massimos, not as good as Maximos. When I read some of the comments about it being one of the 'best restaurants in Durham' and the food being 'exquisite', I'm afraid this is objectively not true and I would say don't go with these expectations and enjoy Martinos for what it is to avoid disappointment. I had the Aldo pasta with 'tiger' prawns. It was fairly tasty, I enjoyed it. My partner got the pasta al forno and she gave similar comments. It just felt a bit like my mam could have made that tomato sauce at home. That said, I would not dissuade anyone from visiting this restaurant because it's, well, canny.

• Visited July 2014
5 Thank Kevin A

Houghton-le-Spring, United Kingdom
“Delicious!”
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Have visited this restaurant on numerous occasions, the last one being last night to celebrate my 60th birthday with a friend. The meal was fantastic and service excellent. Would certainly recommend this restaurant if you are looking for good service delicious food at a price that won't break the bank!

• Visited July 2014
2 Thank sheila g
Seaham, United Kingdom
“Great food & services”
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Booked in for early meal on Saturday night, they do early bird menu including a 3 course for £5.00. All food was lovely we didn't leave a thing & service was very food. Only downside drinks are a bit expensive. Great night, great atmosphere, we will return

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank Laudan
Sunderland, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“excellent meal, value for money and good service”
Reviewed June 5, 2014

We ordered our meal from the special menu and were more than happy with the size of the portions and the quality of the food, the service was good, staff very efficient and pleasant. The place was busy but we did not have to wait any length of time to be served and as I have said the staff were attentive, what more can you want. This has got to be the best Italian in the area for the meals, the service and the atmosphere. I read the negative reviews with disbelief and can only think that they were made by a disgruntled ex member of staff or by a rival restaurant as many of the negative reviews regarding hotels, restaurants, etc are written by people with a grudge.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank huahin2014
Seaham
“Martinos, a really nice restaurant”
Reviewed May 28, 2014

A family friendly restaurant, located just a short walk from the sea front. The service is very good, and the quality of the food is also of a high standard. Some of the rooms are available for hire for special occasions, like weddings, birthdays, and family orientated celebrations. Though not cheap, it's good value

• Visited April 2014