“Home-made food at a good value”
Review of Swanson House

Swanson House
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Local cuisine
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Description: Swanson House offers the highest quality local fresh produce, cooked to perfection. From Deer n'Dexter venison, to Bessy Beck trout and Wensleydale blue cheese, dishes combine classic English ingredients with modern flavours and techniques. To ensure all food is as fresh as possible, Swanson House is committed to a small, perfectly balanced monthly menu, supplemented by a calendar of special events. Our restaurant is fully licensed. Dining is by advance reservation and selection only. Private parties are welcome. Swanson House welcomes vegetarian guests.
Manchester
“Home-made food at a good value”
Reviewed September 2, 2011

We booked an evening meal here after reading the Tripadvisor reviews. We were staying at Brownber Hall and it was a 20 minute driver over to Swanson House in the evening. Your menu choices must be selected in advance i.e. when you make the booking. At £21 for 3 courses, including coffee and home-made chocolate, the overall cost was reasonable. On the downside, the dining room felt a little stark, with black slate floors, whitewashed walls and overhead lights. There were only 2 other tables on an August Bank Holiday Saturday evening. The food, while being of generous portions, is nothing that could not be cooked at home. The wine list is on the small side. On the upside, the host was friendly and a great humorist, and made sure to speak to us personally during the evening. If you are staying in Brough, this is not a bad choice for an evening meal.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank MrandMrsinManchester

Milton Keynes, England
“An excellent dinner”
Reviewed August 16, 2011

Swanson House is a surprising find in a rather ordinary village. The service was welcoming and prompt and the food enjoyed by our party of four was imaginative, well cooked and presented. The menu is short, but every item seemed home-cooked and hand prepared. Great value for money: £23 for three courses plus coffee, with reasonably prioed drinks. It's not the place for a spontaneous visit, as choices are requested 24h in advance, but I certainly recommend you plan ahead and visit Swanson House.

• Visited August 2011
1 Thank rejones
London, United Kingdom
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“In a word scrumptious...”
Reviewed July 29, 2011

A couple of weeks ago I travelled north and stayed at Swanson House, Brough in Cumbria, for The Chocolate Festival (15th July 2011). This is my second trip and stay in the area.
This time I stayed in the room called Odette. The room is spacious, light and airy with a huge king size bed, fabulous en suite bathroom including large bath, big enough for two and a separate large power shower. The room also included a small private seating area next to a beautiful hearth.
The room and en suite are luxurious, fresh and modern with 100 per cent cotton white linen, the most amazing duvet and pillows I have ever come across! Silk curtains and upholstery all complemented tastefully with traditional accessories such as local pottery and other local artefacts.
This time I also took advantage of Swanson House’s restaurant. Something I would highly recommend! In a word the food is scrumptious! Fresh, local ingredients beautifully prepared and cooked by Pat Jones. For me this epitomises British cuisine at its best.
On one night I had for my starters Deer n’ Dexter Venison Carpaccio, with Port vinaigrette and walnut toast. This is locally produced and sourced. The venison just melts in the mouth. The flavours are beautifully accentuated by the Port vinaigrette and subtle flavour of the walnut toast.
For my main I had salmon en croute with watercress and Eden Ivory ewes cheese pesto. Surely award winning! Where is the trophy! Crispy, golden crust pasty encasing a generous portion of salmon steamed/cooked to perfection! My mouth is watering just thinking about it. The pesto worked really well and complemented the dish to perfection!
On another night I had fresh pea soup, served with mint scone and melted Wensleydale Cheese. Absolutely gorgeous, summer in a bowl!
For my main I had the whisky mustard crusted Ewbank’s pork chop, served with a dram of whisky. Inspired combination served with fresh vegetables, absolutely delicious.

I haven't even mention the Chocolate Festival yet! Absolute heaven!. Seems to be an annual event...chocolate fountain, cakes, pasterie the list is endless, but also gorgeous savoury dishes such as crab risotto with white chocolate, venison with dark chocolate, sausage cassoulet with chocolate...yes it was as delicious as it sounds. Awaiting news of next years event!!

• Visited July 2011
1 Thank Sushi290711
glasgow, Scotland
“great food and friendly service”
Reviewed April 25, 2011

We chanced upon Swanson House in 2010 when looking for a coffee and light meal. We were immediately impressed by the quality of the home-made food. So, this April. I was delighted to discover that two Rooms were available on a B&B basis, and we decided to stay over Easter. An Evening Meal is an Option, which unfortunately I could niot take up due to meeting friens in Kirkby Stephen - although I wish I had.
The welcome from Phil and Pat was very friendly and warm from the initial booking right through to when we bade farewell. Nothing was too much trouble. There were lovely little touches like locally-produced top quality toiletries, complimentary home baked cake and a selection of books, games and DVDs for guests.
The breakfast was extensive and used many locally sourced items like the Cumberland Sausage. A full vegetarian option was available. Pancakes were cooked to order for my son. The bread was delicious - I did not ask but presumably home or locally baked.
Several of our larger party eat here during the day and I had similar very positive comments
Phil and Pat work hard to please their Guests and deserve great success with this venture. We shall be returning!

• Visited April 2011
2 Thank mark-southside
sunderland
“amazing”
Reviewed April 7, 2011

service was tip-top, and the food i could live here its yummy and i will definatly be eating there again. all local food.
all round top place