“Good hospitality and care in a fine old house”

The Old Croft House
Ranked #4 of 25 Kirkby Stephen B&B and Inns
West Yorkshire, UK
“Good hospitality and care in a fine old house”
Reviewed July 31, 2012

We stayed here for a weekend break in late July - got a great double room opulently furnished. Our room looked out onf Market Street but was quiet at night with thick curtains and shutters. We had a beautiful en suite bathroom. Owners Nick and Rachel were friendly, chatty and lent us walking books for our excursions. The evening meal - which we tried two nights running - was all nicely done. The place can't be beat.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank JoelCrane

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Kendal, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 29, 2012

Judging from the other reviews here, I drew the short straw so far as rooms go, being given a narrow coffin of a bedroom decorated in shades of charcoal to black. The room would certainly suit a goth or travelling vampire, but for me arriving after a particularly soggy section of the coast to coast walk, the gloomy, hammer horror bedroom was something of a shock. The owner picked up on my dismay and apologetically explained that they'd taken over the hotel recently and hadn't redecorated. One definite bonus was an electric foot spa into which I immersed my aching feet, complete with extremely soothing bath salts also provided. The saving grace from the funeral parlour room was having a decent sized bathroom to myself, even though it was not particularly close to the bedroom, and whilst sitting on the loo one has a large porcelaine bottom to impossibly ignore on the wall opposite. The breakfast was excellent, and the tables laid so ornately I felt completely out of place in my hiking gear. Old Croft House is certainly different and at £35 it was good value.

Room Tip: Be warned the single room was decorated for Count Dracula.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank TheHikingDude
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed July 24, 2012

After a grueling 22-mile day, my friends and I were greeted by a cheerful, smiling Nick who asked us to remove our wet & muddy socks and shoes, which he took care of posthaste. This top-notch B&B is run by the most friendly, knowledgeable, chic proprietors. We couldn't say enough good things about the place itself, with its winding staircase, its uniquely and elegantly-appropriated rooms - each with its individual charm - and of course the generous owners.

My room was decorated in the fashion of a French/New Orleans-style suite, with numerous fleur de lis everywhere, but in a very stylish way. Within walking distance was a library nook, from which I borrowed a book to read before I fell asleep. My friends had a room that had an ethereal theme, and my bathroom (not ensuite) was luxuriously decorated. I felt like I was in a spa and all service was very personalized, to include the delicious breakfast and great Coast-to-Coast advice we received the next day.

The location is also fabulous, within walking distance of the pubs and chemist. If you are doing the C-to-C, make this stop a must. I promise you won't be disappointed.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank morganaus
S Cumbria
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Great welcome, good accommodation, good position for coast to coast, hosts were also walkers and aware of the walk over nine standards and gave some god advice.

Breakfast was good and everything was clean

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Peter S
Woodbridge Suffolk
Reviewed July 14, 2012

We were so pleased we opted to stay here. What a beautiful warm house and a lovely warm welcome. Nothing was too much trouble for Nick and he took care of our wet clothes and boots immediately. Our room was delightful, so pretty and the bed was really comfortable. Breakfast was very good with such a huge choice and the dining room was light, spacious and very tastefully set out. Would certainly recommend this great B and B and hope this young couple will enjoy much success which would be very well deserved.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Kerwood
Reviewed July 13, 2012

Nick and Rachel young B&B keepers who are doing an excellent job at both the business and welcoming side. nick is a fount of info about the area and the "Coast to Coast Walk" which really appreciated. The room was large and had a touch of luxury with beautiful antiques and fine bedding. The breakfast was delicious with fresh fruits, yogurt, cereal and hot made to order. I really enjoyed a fresh Kipper with my eggs and whole grain toast. We would definitely stay here again and wish Nick and Rachel the best of success.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 11, 2012

Wonderful welcome and more than happy to dry out walkers' kit which was a godsend. Unusually decorated bedroom but quite large and plenty of hot water. Breakfast was great and free wifi was a bonus.

Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends