“Great Food”

The Pheasant Inn
Sheffield
“Great Food”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

Having looked up dining places in the area I noticed this one was top on Tripadvisor then we happened to pass it one day on the way to a start of a walk. We popped in on the way back to have a drink and look at the menu resulting in us booking a meal in the bar for the following evening (as we had our dog with us).

The meal was fantastic I had smoked mackerel pate followed by the delicious venison (which was a very large portion) then to finish I had a peach pavlova which was incredibly light. All 4 of us enjoyed our meals even though one of our party is a very fussy eater.

I cannot recommended this venue enough for a relaxing but high quality dining experience with a stunning view from the beer garden!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (33)
Malton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2013

We have just spent a weekend at the Pheasant Inn for our 22nd wedding anniversary and we couldn't have found a better place to spend it.

From the start, we knew we were in for a superb stay as we received a very warm welcome as soon as we walked through the door. We didn't have to wait around and were shown straight to our room.

The room (we stayed in the four poster) was lovely and also absolutely spotless. The bed was very comfortable and even though, being 6' 3" I thought my feet may stick out of the bottom of the bed, they didn't. We had 2 nights of excellent sleep.

The food in the restaurant is absolutely out of this world. We ate dinner on both evenings, and my wife had the Sea Bass twice, as it was so nice. I had the Steak and Ale Pie the first evening and veal on the second, and both were excellent. I have never seen so much steak in a pie before in my life - it was absolutely crammed. Portion sizes are really very good too. I can also highly recommend the seps and also the olives and selection of breads (which are classed as nibbles to share, but we had as starters on the second night ). All the meals we had looked absolutely stunning when it arrived, but also tastes superb too. The portion sizes are also absolutely spot on. You wont leave the restaurant wanting more, but you wont come out feeling bloated either.

The breakfast was also fantastic, particularly the full English breakfast, and the sausages are to die for. The plates are absolutely red hot and the breakfast appears to be cooked to order as everything feels freshly cooked and is not swimming in grease or oil.

The thing that really has to be appreciated is the customer service. It was so friendly, and we were treated so warmly that it felt like we had been going there for years. Nothing was too much trouble and everyone (and I mean everyone) went out of their way to look after us. I could not fault one member of staff. Even down to the small things like every member of staff saying good morning when we came down, made a real difference.

Also, the surrounding area is beautiful. We spent a day visiting Kirkby Lonsdale, Kendall and Windemere and had a great day.

I could go on a lot more, but all in all, I cannot recommend the Pheasant in highly enough. We will definitely be going back without any hesitation and cant wait....

If you are thinking of staying in or near the lakes, stay at the pheasant, you absolutely wont be disappointed.

Room Tip: We didnt see any of the other rooms, but can highly recommend the four poster.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Preston, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Picture the scene. Broken down car, a brand new one. My wife and myself stranded with a long wait ahead. To cap it all the Chef in the Pheasant had finished the lunch shift. However, the charming and helpful staff saved the day by providing us with soup and sandwiches. All lovely and fresh. A glass of wine completed this simple but perfect meal. The soup was so good it must have been created with the help of witchcraft! We will definately return to this perfect hotel and stay over. Well done.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Ulverston, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 31, 2013

Our family spent a few days in Cumbria, looking for a good evening meal, we came across this enchanting inn.
What can i say the food catered for all ages and tastes, was cooked as fresh as possible, and was excellent, everyone loved their meals even the kids, as you know is rare.
Well recommended...

Room Tip: We did not stay at the hotel but had a preview of the rooms, all excellent.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
London
Reviewed May 30, 2013

The room was fine, though I could have done without the puce pink bed throw and pink painted wardrobe panels. I was also disappointed with fiddly, tiny sachets of shampoo. Otherwise our stay was extremely enjoyable. We had a fabulous circular walk from the hotel, assisted by a map provided by the management. But the real highlight was dinner and breakfast - food that wouldn't have been out of place in some of the finest London establishments.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Sedbergh, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 27, 2013 via mobile

My husband & I went for a meal on a Monday evening it was busy & the food was excellent , so tasty !! The service was excellent too. The new referb looks so classy. Very welcoming & friendly would definitely recommend !!

• Stayed May 2013
Pontefract
Reviewed May 10, 2013

Just returned from a nights stay at the Pheasant. Lovely comfortable room with great views over the Lune valley. Excellent evening meal and breakfast ( proper poached eggs!! ). Good selection of beers and lagers at the bar and friendly staff.
Just booked for later in the year with friends.
Brilliant.

#2 of 12 in Kirkby Lonsdale
Copper Kettle
Copper Kettle
#11 of 12 in Kirkby Lonsdale

Been to The Pheasant Inn? Share your experiences!