“Disappointing”

Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Business meetings, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed September 15, 2014

I have to say the food was good but we were asked to leave our table and go into the bar to have our coffee and drinks !! amazing after the money we just spent.To cap it all there was nowhere to sit inside so we sat outside on the terrace in the cold . Surely having a chat at the end over coffee and drinks is part of the meal . Smacks of a restaurant trying to cram in to many sittings just for profit . Not the experience i expected after a years wait .

2  Thank fawlboy
Write a ReviewReviews (3,862)

Reviewed September 15, 2014 via mobile

Unlike many people, I was lucky enough to get a last-minute cancellation for lunch. Again like many people, I'm a great fan of Tom Kerridge and his refreshing approach to life and proper tasty solid food. The fact that he is a local lad has nothing to do with it! I too have to echo one of the other reviewers comments that booking a table here was a little bit like a trial of determination and single-mindedness. Once we were there, I have to say we were greeted very warmly and in a friendly manner, serve drinks while we waited for a table to be ready taken to put table in good time. Our order arrived in good time. We had the famous duck breast with the thrice fried duck fat chips and I have to say they're gorgeous. Everything else had very clean very clear very defined flavours. Oddly enough, these were spectacular! I especially liked the burnt honey Panna Cotta. What we got, was lovely but I did feel it was a little bit overpriced and we have indeed had better for that sort of money.

Reviewed September 14, 2014

Booked a table as we were visiting the Thames Valley and we are big fans of Tom Kerridge. The starters of Smoked Haddock Omelette and Cream of Tomato Soup were delicious, I then had the Pigeon which arrived cold and could have been compared to a sparrow (starving at that!!) Really disappointing. The staff were very nice but a little "in your face" They could step-back a little, but when I did mention my main course was cold, the response I had was " I'll pass your remarks on". I expected a little more than that after spending just over £200 for a lunch!!!

2  Thank Ruth3012
Reviewed September 14, 2014

We booked for a double anniversary/birthday celebration last year, and I have to say it was worth the wait.

The staff were lovely and were attentive without being over bearing, you have to remember that they have the difficult task of combining Michelin star service in an informal setting, which we think they achieved.

Hubby had Crispy Pig’s Head with Rhubarb, Pancetta and Crackling to start, I had the Duck Liver Parfait with Orange Chutney and Toasted Brioche and daughter had the Lovage Soup with Bramley Apple, Smoked Eel, and Ham and Cheese Tortellini

Main meals were Slow Cooked Duck Breast with Peas, Duck Fat Chips and Gravy, Fillet of Sea Bass with Roast Tomato Fondue, Peppers and Aubergine "Provençal", Thyme Salt and Essex Lamb “Bun” with Sweetbreads and Salsa Verde.

The food was presented beautifully and tasted lovely. ( I wish I had taken a photograph )

I had the Burnt Honey Panna Cotta with Old English Spiced Meringue, Blackberries and Mead Sorbet. for dessert and daughter had Vanilla creme brulee.........I actually thought at one point I had died and gone to pudding heaven, I do not think I have the vocabulary to describe how wonderful it was.

Chatting with the staff we mentioned the occasions we were celebrating and our desserts were presented with a piped chocolate greeting.

The whole experience was lovely and we had a wonderful evening and it was very good value.

Reviewed September 14, 2014

We had booked this meal a year in advance for a triple birthday celebration and were all very much looking forward to it.
On arrival staff were not particularly welcoming we took seats in the waiting bar area, a while later drinks menus arrived and eventually we got our pre dinner drinks.
We were shown to our table which was comfortable and pubby, the starters were nice but not stunning. The mains were ok but my steak was served cold, no members of staff approached after the food was served to check all was ok, so eventually I had to call someone over and my meal was taken away.
The same steak came back a while later with new chips but was barely any warmer, again nobody asked if it was now ok, I wasn't going to send it back again so unfortunately it was not eaten. My wife's meal was also lukewarm, only made tolerable by a side dish of hot potatoes.
My wife finished her wine and the glass was removed, she was not asked if she would like another drink.
We had driven a hundred miles to get there but would not hurry back.
I was not charged for my steak, however this did not make up for our disappointment.
Michelin stars are hard earned but this certainly was not a two Michelin stars experience!

2  Thank Beryl444