“A lovely evening (if you're prepared to let it be)”
Review of The Hand & Flowers

The Hand & Flowers
Ranked #5 of 77 Restaurants in Marlow
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
birmingham
“A lovely evening (if you're prepared to let it be)”
Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

I've been really interested to read some if the reviews heavily criticising this place and wanted to post an objective review.

Yes the place was busy (totally expected), yes there could have done with more chairs outside for a lovely night (so we stood), yes we were asked to go back into the bar area after we ate (so what? the waiting list to get in would be even longer if they didn't), yes the food wasn't "perfect" (but it was pretty close), yes, it wasn't cheap (but I didn't expect it to be) and yes there was a bit if a delay bringing us our post dinner drinks (dealt with without us having to say anything).

All the above is true, but I didn't go expecting perfection in every department. I went looking forward to a nice night, and as a result that's exactly what I had. Any slight issues that we pointed out to staff were dealt with quickly and effectively and I didn't see anyone I classed as rude.

We were lucky enough to meet Tom the night we went but that's not why I'm writing a review that is mainly positive. The reason is that I don't want people to be put off by some of reviews on here (as I might have been). If you want to be made to feel like a millionaire with staff attending to your every whim then I'd suggest this maybe isn't the place for you. If you like good food in a relaxed atmosphere where staff are knowledgable and friendly and you don't come with the mindset to criticise everything that isn't perfect, then I think most people will leave the Hand and a Flowers having had a lovely experience.

I hope to be back soon.

4 Thank Liv6

• Slovak first
Fleet, United Kingdom
“Proper Pub Food”
Reviewed June 21, 2014

This was our sixth visit to the Hand and Flowers, our first since the new renovations and extension of the bar area. The new bar gives this place the one thing that it was missing before with a beautifully sympathetic vaulted extension to relax and enjoy then fantastic atmosphere.

We reserved for a Saturday a very long time ago, around 6 months plus due to the well-deserved popularity of Mr. Kerridge! We have already reserved a meal/room for July 2015 so you really need to plan ahead.

The atmosphere inside is always perfect, you can hear Tom calling for "Service" from the kitchen and the whole concept works perfectly.

Food was just as good as ever, I had the salmon carpaccio and it was delicious, my husband had the scotch egg with chorizo, which tasted like a little part of Spain mixed in within English Classic. I chose the monkfish as I had never had the combination of fish and peanut flavour, it was wonderful with My favourite cabbage anywhere and so always choose it as a side dish.

Wine selection was great, also had a delicious, pale, very bubbly house champagne, reasonably priced around £60 I think.

Always wait for the soufflé- never ever disappoints!
Another wonderful meal, spent around £450 for two but we had a lot of extras, don't forget that the set price lunch is £15 for two courses making this incredible value, and by no means sub-standard to the Al la carte option!
Can't wait for next year and a stay on site in one of the jacuzzi rooms!

1 Thank SBerkshire
“Quite brilliant”
Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

I booked lunch for the four of us as a 60th birthday surprise for my husband.

Every part of the experience was amazing. A warm welcome even though we were an hour early. We were able to relax with a drink or two before being shown to our table.

The menu presented an agonising challenge as there were so many "must have" dishes to chose from.

I chose the parfait starter, pork main course and the soufflé for dessert. Every mouthful was delicious.

The only slight negative is that there was quite a wait for drinks when seated at the table. A minor gripe only.

Ringwood, United Kingdom
“More good than bad”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Having just read other tripadvisor reviews on the Hand and Flowers I agree with the points and observations of most of them.
The second person you encounter after the very welcoming gent on the front door is a most unwelcoming young lady who thinks it's her job to move you as quickly as possible out of her bar this obviously kills the mood a bit,but don't let her put you off because our two waitresses were really lovely with great knowledge of the menu and really exceptional understanding of the dietary requirements of one of our party.(I wonder if this is anything to do with the owner having allergies?) I didn't think much of the whitebait freebie lacked imagination.The first courses varied in quality the soft and raw asparagus is (as everyone else points out) far too salty the crispy pigs head was great as was the carpacio of salmon with great home made blinis.
Main courses were all good Rump of veal and Lancashire beef were both very good but the star was the chicken very well done loads of flavour.
The wines were also really nice I think we had an Albarino not overpriced .
Overall a good experience although I'm not convinced that it's worthy of two stars

“Value for money?”
Reviewed June 18, 2014

Is The Hand and Flowers in Marlow, value for money? No!!! It doesn't matter if you go to McDonald's or a Michelin starred restaurant, value for money is what it's all about.

I took my wife to The Hand and Flowers for our 25th Wedding Anniversary, we stayed in the Cottages Limousin room for two nights and ate dinner in the restaurant. This was a big occasion for us and was a total disappointment. The room was ridiculous, too small, no where to put anything, the shower was clear glass and located at the foot of the bed, yes the foot of the bed; super for peeping Tom.

The breakfast was poor, continental was a pain au chocolat and a croissant that were bought in. I had a full English, it was OK but served on a cold plate with toast that could not be cut with a knife.

Dinner at The Hand and Flowers. Over priced, tasteless, poor service, too dark; I could go on but i am now getting angry again.

In summary; nothing positive to say about our experience! My advice to Tom is, get off of the Tele and sort your Pub out.

Value for money, not even close.

12 Thank John S