“A birthday treat for my wife”
Review of The Hand & Flowers

The Hand & Flowers
Ranked #7 of 78 Restaurants in Marlow
Cuisines: British, Gastropub
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions, Local cuisine, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed December 2, 2012

We booked a table back on July 12th for this restaurant to celebrate my wife's birthday in early December and we were not disappointed. The table was booked later than we would have chosen at 9:30pm but we had a nice drink in a nearby pub and were shown to a cozy table right on time. As I am quite tall I had to watch my head on the beams but it is a very nice atmosphere inside with 14 tables of various shapes and sizes. This is not a pub anymore it is definitely a small restaurant so it should be judged as such. The bar area is far too small to be used like a pub. My wife had one of the speciality gins (I was disappointed that other cocktails were not on offer) while I had a pint of beer. We loved the whitebait in newspaper nibbles while we looked at the menu and the home made bread was just perfect. For starters my wife had the delicious parfait with brioche and I had the perfectly seasoned crispy pigs head. For mains my wife chose the Pork medley while I went for the slow cooked duck which won the 2010 Great British menu main course for the owner Tom Kerridge. We finished with souffle and panna cotta feeling very full but very happy. The price was around 150 including a nice bottle of wine which is what I expect from a restaurant of this standard and I can only commend the lovely staff on their service.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,736)

Reviewed November 27, 2012

After reading so many enthusiastic reviews, we felt obliged to pay a visit – and are very glad we did. This old pub on the edge of Marlow abounds with atmosphere, with its labyrinth of small rooms, wooden beams and low ceilings (mind your heads). The welcome will make you feel instantly comfortable and the service is similarly unfussy. But the food is the real reason for going and that is simply exquisite. Our starters, the salt cod scotch egg with chorizo and red pepper sauce, and the glazed smoked haddock omelette, were delicately-balanced with complementary flavours. The slow-cooked duck and lobster-baked hake were equally perfect blends of tastes. Pricey, but excellent.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

Not really. The Hand and Flowers is a 2 Michelin Pub. It has a great pub atmosphere with really excellent food. Some might say its a little dark inside and I would agree, but for others this evokes the pub feeling. Personally I like to see what's on my plate but this is a personal view and didn't detract from the experience. Not easy to get a table and we booked a while in advance but it was well worth the wait. Really enjoyed my birthday treat.

1  Thank jafergusonuk
Reviewed November 22, 2012

Came here twice when it only had one star. We had the set menu the first time with one addition from the al a carte. Really nice. Second visit we had the full al a carte and really enjoyed it. Duck and foie gras parfait tasty. Ales are local and good wine selection. Would like to go back some time soon and see if it is any better with 2 stars?

Reviewed November 21, 2012

We visited whilst it was a mere 1 star restaurant. A birthday treat for me and a great sunday roast. had a lovely bottle of red and thoroughly enjoyed my meal. It was very busy, and i'm sure now its even more so! Good luck to Tom and his team in the future.

1  Thank Rhys G