“very comfortable, well located guest house”

Glade End Guest House
Ranked #3 of 21 Marlow B&B and Inns
Derbyshire
“very comfortable, well located guest house”
Reviewed September 15, 2010

Stayed for one night in a twin room. Great location, within walking distance of the town centre, and off-road parking. Also very convenietly located for visting other places in the area and access to the M40, without being right beside it. The rooms are very clean and comfortably decorated with a very relaxing atmosphere. Breakfast was lovely, with both cereals and full English options. Only odd aspect was that the check-in is self-service and we didn't meet/ see anyone else until breakfast - which we found strange.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends
TonyP7, Owner at Glade End Guest House, responded to this review, November 28, 2011
Thank you! We value your opinions.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
hertfordshire
Reviewed July 15, 2009

The location was ideal for enjoying the towns many facilities and for lovely walks along the river. We did have an initial issue upon arrival concerning the beds, this was quickly and effortlessly resolved by the staff in a very pleasant and helpful manor. A perfect stay for three good friends wishing to enjoy a weekend break.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
New York, NY
Reviewed July 13, 2009

I was very pleasantly surprised by this bed & breakfast during my stay in Marlow. I prefer upscale B&B's over hotels, because the B&B's have more charm and character. This one surpassed all others that I have seen. My room was very tastefully decorated and had quality linens and interesting antiques to accent it. The building is very well maintained with all modern amenities and shows the great care of the owners. Very highly recommended for any stay in Marlow or nearby Maidenhead.

• Stayed June 2008, traveled solo
Lancashire
Reviewed July 9, 2009

Would recommend anybody to stop at Glade End. The fast check in is simple and efficient. The little touches such as a dressing gown in the room to visit the bathroom (I was in a single room with no en suite) were lovely. The bedroom was light, airy and very comfortable. Free WIFI meant I could keep in touch with the family back home. Breakfast delicious, hot, cooked to order and set me up for the day. Am staying again in two weeks with colleagues as my HQ is two minutes drive away, and have already passed details to another manager who is travelling to Marlow with his team at the end of the month.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled on business
Thank you for your compliments and for telling those at your work about Glade End!
Cas Catala, Spain
Reviewed April 9, 2009

I am not a great fan of bed & breakfasts as I frequently encounter difficult owners, very restricted breakfast times and differing quality. The Glade End was no exception and I would be reluctant to return.

I did not meet the owners at the B&B as they offer a self service check in, but trying to book a room over the phone proved extremely difficult and frustrating. The owner actually haggled with me and even questioned my budget. I got to the stage where I almost gave up but as the Premier Inn in Marlow was full I needed the room. I did manage to get a rate cheaper than the normal rate but there is no way the room was worth the asking price of £95!

I was given a double room which was very small indeed. It was adequate for one person but had my partner been with me and we had paid £110 I think I would have demanded a refund.

The room was clean and the linen was a good quality. However, there was no full length mirror and no desk to work or put anything. The TV was quite possibly the smallest LCD tv I have ever seen.

The bathroom could have been a bit cleaner. There was dirt and hair around the skirting boards and the biggest problem was lots of small black flies. At one point I counted 12 flies in the bathroom, which just made it feel a bit dirty.

One aspect that was very good was the breakfast. The cooked breakfast was excellent.

The positives were the free WIFI, excellent breakfast, comfortable bed and I did get a good nights sleep.

The negatives were the many flies in the bathroom, small room and the difficulty I had when trying to actually make the booking in the first place.

Next time I visit Marlow I will, without a doubt, make sure I get a room at the Premier Inn.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank Peter J
Thank you for your feedback and we have taken on board your suggestions.
Our web site now offers on line, confirmed, reservations. We are pleased you enjoyed the "chef prepared to order" breakfast, free Wifi internet access, free off road parking. When comparing prices, our included breakfast, included Wifi, and included parking, including bottled water in the rooms, are some of the items which are often charged as extras at many hotels. These included items, make Glade End very competitive when looking at "room only" costs. Thank you for your comments.
Zlin
Reviewed March 18, 2009

The Glade End is one of those traditional B&B´s with decent english breakfast, and very clean rooms, and flexible management. I booked my room very late so I only got very small room. Well, I only needed a bed and shower, so it did the job. The B&B is well located close to the charming town centre (5mins walk) with many traditional english pubs and good restaurants. Suitable for business trips as it has Wireless internet and is only 30mins away from Heathrow! Recomended!

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Vancouver
Reviewed January 17, 2008

Like many people staying in Marlow, we were there to attend a wedding. Rooms had been reserved some months ahead but when we arrived the room we had booked was not available. In addition the price had risen between the booking date and the date of arrival with no notice given to us. Also very little empathy was forthcoming when trying to explain this problem on departure.

The establishment claims to offer a warm personal service but we felt that it was little more than a very impersonal clustering of houses which made it more like a small hotel than a B and B. Some guests will like the system of check-in but, for us, it seemed to be oriented more to the needs of the owners than to the guests...indeed, we did not speak with either owner at all during our stay, although there was an occasional glimpse of what was rumoured to be an owner.

Our substitute room turned out to be quite satisfactory (we were in the main house) with a good-sized bathroom, spotlessly clean. Others in our party were less fortunate with their bedroom and bathroom. The main problems with the room were the traffic noise from the main road outside our window and the fact that we could have only one (short) shower before the water went cold.

Some reviewers on this site have enjoyed the breakfast on offer but, unfortunately we thought it fell far short of present standards. Twenty years ago you could get away with boring, overcooked breakfasts with poor quality food, but it isn't acceptable today and certainly not at these prices. I had fun closing my eyes and trying to decide which part of the meal I was eating and found that sausages, scrambled eggs, toast and, to a lesser extent, tomatoes (!) all tasted very much alike. How can anyone do that to a tomato?The breakfast was so good that thereafter we ate very well and had wonderful coffee at one of the excellent cafes on the town's main street.

This isn't somewhere I would choose again. But check the alternatives carefully because there's a few bad deals in the town waiting for the unwary...and for those lost souls who don't know about TripAdvisor's review pages.

Good luck.

PS. The wedding was by far the best I have ever attended so the visit was a happy one in the end!

• Liked — Bathroom, some of the staff, cafes a 700 meter walk away
  • Disliked — Cold showers, poor breakfasts, impersonal ambience, price increase
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Thank you! We value your opinions. We have free Wifi internet access in all rooms and have addressed a number of the points you made.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marlow
Crowne Plaza Hotel Marlow
Macdonald Compleat Angler
Premier Inn Marlow Hotel
Danesfield House Hotel And Spa
Cliveden House
Cliveden House
#1 of 2 in Taplow
Chequers Inn Hotel and Restaurant

Been to Glade End Guest House? Share your experiences!