“Overpriced beverages, £4.50 each and won't let you sit with a river view”

Macdonald Compleat Angler
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Marlow
GreenLeadersSilver level
London
“Overpriced beverages, £4.50 each and won't let you sit with a river view”
Reviewed September 11, 2009

Made to feel unwelcome for afternoon cup of tea because we wanted to enjoy a river view at 4pm on a Monday afternoon. Most of the tables were empty at the time. The river was our reason for going to the Complete Angler and without the view we might as well be anywhere. The teas were overpriced at £4.50 each and they had the cheek to charge a compulsory twelve and a half % service charge when we felt their high handed manor didn't deserve any tip. We quickly changed our minds about staying that night and drove home instead.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
3 Thank SueEmerson

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (346)
Scotland
Reviewed August 24, 2009

Although the hotel has an excellent location, the journey up the stairs to our Room 102 was an assault on the senses. There was a very strong smell of stagnant water and we had to hold our breath every time we negotiated this stairwell.
The first time I complained at reception I was greeted with the attitiude that, although the hotel knew about this, it was just one of these things. My second attempt at complaining brought a better response and I was asked if I would like to change rooms. However, this offer came too late in my opinion and we checked out of the hotel three days earlier than planned.
We did receive a letter from the manager and we did speak to him about our experience -the corridor smell seems to be an ongoing problem! We suggested that these rooms should not be made available to guests until problem has been resolved.
Very disappointing for a hotel of this standard.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Groveland, California
Reviewed August 17, 2009

We were so looking forward to the last night of our trip and staying at the Compleat Angler. By prepaying, we had a great price, and we also were given a river view room. Our friend was across the hall without a river view for the same price. While we love old hotels and don't mind creaky, crooked floors, our room location was a long way from the lobby, and up and down several flights of stairs. We tipped the bellman generously for delivering our suitcases, as there was no way we could have carried them up the several flights of stairs. Our room was nice, although the bellman told us that the room wouldn't get very much cooler, even with the air conditioner. Fortunately it was not too hot. When we called down for "ice", no one answered the phone. Finally I went to the bar, and eventually one of the waiters stopped to help me. Several waiters ignored me, although I was standing there with my ice bucket. After this ignoring episode, we decided to eat elsewhere and had a lovely meal in town at the Marlow Bar and Grill. We also chose not to eat breakfast there for the same "service reason", and ate at Burgers, just a short walk over the bridge. I must say that the receptionist was helpful, walking us to our room (which we would never have found without help).
I might stay there again, but my husband says "no way".

UK
Reviewed July 25, 2009

I have been to Compleat Angler about 3 times in the past starting around 2001. My previous trips were all business trips and the experience was good. I thought this time round we would stay at the Compleat Angler for our vacation based on past experience. We choose Compleat Angler over Crown Plaza also because we were promised a room overlooking the river/lock. Instead we got place in a double room (not the executive double room we had been promised) overlooking the car park and directly over a room where weddings take place and the music is so loud that you can feel the floor and bed vibrate. This goes on until 12:30am.

Well, all I can say that based on this I can not recommend this hotel anymore. A real shame as it can be made into a great experience but unfortunately it is not.

The air-conditioner barely works so you do tend to get hot.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
new jersey usa
Reviewed July 24, 2009

It is hard to know where to begin. Everyone on the staff was friendly, gracious and most polite. Each of them could not do enough for me. The room was spotless with all the amenities one could ask for. The restaurants, Bowaters and Aubergine, had the most fabulous food I ever did eat. Perhaps the portions weren't too large, but they made up in quality. The host placed the napkin on my lap. How upscale is that! I just cannot wait to go back. I forgot about the setting. Imagine having a drin and seeing every kind of boat on the Thames. Keep up the good work

• Stayed July 2009, traveled solo
Walton, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 14, 2009

Stayed here for 2 nights, the hotel staff were absolutely fantastic, what i asked for i got! the food was wonderful, we ate in Bowaters both nights, due to not booking Aubergine far enough in advance.

Lovely location on the side of the thames.

New Orleans
Reviewed July 3, 2009

The hotel website states that there is "air conditioning" when we arrived we were told that was false but there was "air coolers" which changed the 80 degree hotel room maybe three degrees cooler at best. The hotel furniture was lovely old velvet but in the summer heat very pointless. Also the furniture took up to much room making it cramped and small. For the price one pays to stay in the hotel one would expect good service but instead it was just over rated. We stayed in the hotel four four nights and only one person seemed to be working in the hotel at a time. The person who cooked us eggs in the morning helped us carry our baggage the three flights down to the car park. This hotel had so much potential from the pictures and reviews but failed to impress upon being there. The only real plus of this hotel is the location to the town of Marlow and the view of the Thames river and the church across the river. But just don't ask for ice because it might be to much of a challenge.

5 Thank NOLAtraveler63
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marlow
Danesfield House Hotel And Spa
Macdonald Windsor Hotel
Hotel du Vin
Hotel du Vin
#1 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames

Been to Macdonald Compleat Angler? Share your experiences!