New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

GreenLeadersSilver level
Newport, Wales
“Beautiful location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

This is a really smart hotel, but the staff were friendly and helpful. Its old, and that is obvious and, I think, part of its charm, no straight corridors or flights of stairs but the decor is beautiful and the room, overlooking the weir was comfortable, clean and beautifully decorated.

The location is, of course, its main appeal. You can go to sleep to the roar of the weir which, even through secondary double glazing, is loud. If you need silence to sleep then you don't want a river view.

We were lucky with the weather so were able to sit outside in the evening by the river which was charming.

The real down side of this hotel is the pricing. We ate in the bar in the evening, and it was VERY expensive for what it was, basically bangers and mash! I know its a smart hotel but I do think the charges for food and drink were a little unnecessary. Luckily Marlow town is a short walk away with lots of nice restaurants, coffee shops and cafes and a supermarket if you want to get yourself a bottle of wine without the exorbitant price tag.

Room Tip: The weir is very loud, so if you don't like the sound of rushing water ( is sounds more like a j...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GWyncoll, General Manager at Macdonald Compleat Angler, responded to this review, October 13, 2013
Thank you for your review, which I was pleased to read. We want all of our guests to experience the friendliness and helpfulness of the team as much as to experience the beauty of the location, set on the banks of the river Thames, just across the bridge from the Georgian town of Marlow.

Our pricing is regularly reviewed in line with hotels of a similar standard. Our prices are similar and equally I am confident that we offer better quality. There is no doubt that there are cheaper places to eat, however, I am believe that the environment would not be the same, perhaps not a linen napkin or as expensive glasses or cutlery. Our food is also very carefully sourced – our fish is only wild, our beer and lamb is only Scottish, our pork is only from East Anglia. The same principles are applied across all aspects of our food. We believe that this is now important for our guests. I do hope that this would not deter you from returning again in the future. Clearly, one of the advantages of a stay at The Compleat Angler, is that there is plenty of choice around.

Gaius Wyncoll

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
Buckinghamshire
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

Although the location of the hotel is lovely, we were very disappointed in our recent experience of Sunday Lunch in Bowaters restaurant. Our starters of smoked salmon were small portions and arrived garnished with only a tiny piece of cress, no lemon or salad leaves. My husband found his main course of roast pork tasty but again minuscule portion. My haddock main course was overcooked and unremarkable. We shared a desert of a chocolate tart with a very hard base and pretty tasteless filling. With just two small glasses of wine, our bill of over ninety pounds seemed exorbitant given the size of the portions and the quality of the meal. All in all it is not an experience I will ant

Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Retiredcouple281
Thank you for your feedback following your recent visit to Bowaters. I am sorry to learn that you were disappointed with all aspects of your meal, which is most unusual and I do hope that you brought this to our attention at the time. I will share your feedback with my newly appointed Head Chef, who worked at the hotel two years ago and I am pleased to welcome back.

I do hope that you we will be able to welcome you back again at some point in the future and please do not hesitate to contact me directly as I would be more than happy to make the booking personally.

Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 29, 2013

We booked for a mid week break at the hotel through Telegraph Travel (seems to be linked to Secret Escapes) and therefore got a reduced rate for the room. Unfortunately that was even too much for the room we got (26) it was noisy due to the air conditioning units outside windows and staff quarters above!!!! The hotel is a little tired and although very clean and the breakfast was excellent. Waiting staff good but receptionist could not even give us details of any local walks (even though they are on the Thames Water paths). Would be wary of booking a McDonald Hotel again if this is their 4 star standard.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Fieldings123
Thank you for sharing your feedback following your recent stay at the hotel. I am sorry to hear that you were affected by noise during your recent stay. There are no staff quarters in the hotel, however, clearly there was some disturbance caused from another room. I am equally disappointed that you found the hotel tired and I am interested to understand in what areas you felt this as the hotel was fully refurbished five years ago. We are, however, finalising plans to refurbish the restaurant and bar again in the January. Although of little consolation to you at this stage, I can assure you that the new receptionist has now been trained on providing information on Thames Walks.

I do hope that your experience on this occasion will not deter you from staying with us again or another Macdonald Hotel. The hotel is in a lovely location as you have said and I am sorry that certain areas marred your stay this time.

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 27, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed 4 nights at the MacDonald Compleat Angler in Marlow, England (September 2013). When we checked in, we were upgraded to a beautiful 4 poster bed room with private bath and shower and a view of the Thames. The staff were very welcoming and always helpful, and the full English breakfasts included with the room were wonderful! We couldn't have been more pleased with the MacDonald or Marlow. Marlow is the quintessential English village with lots of amenities: shopping, restaurants, beautiful countryside and setting, Thames Path walking, and easy access to London by rail. I could live in Marlow, and we will certainly be back and will stay in the MacDonald Compleat Angler.

Room Tip: There are no lifts so be aware that the best rooms require lots of stair walking. But the staff wil...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2013

Amazing hotel & in a modern culture of poor customer service throughout most industries these days the Manager here goes above & beyond to ensure that no stone is left unturned in ensuring a great break & definite return custom ! Well Done to the Compleat Angler for restoring this travellers failth in the UK Travel industry ! See you again in October !!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank CockneyGeezer67
Hastings, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 18, 2013

Stayed here for one night only for my friends birthday. Unfortunately I didn't get to eat in the restaurant as we were eating elsewhere. But we did use the bar before we went out and afterwards. The bar staff were both friendly and efficient. I stayed in room 71 which overlooks the weir. It has lovely doors that open onto an outside seating area.(which would be perfect for pre-dinner drink in the summer) The view, even on a rainy night was stunning. And even though you can hear the weir all night it is strangely relaxing. The room itself was extremely spacious, with a big fabulous well lit bathroom. Well stocked mini-bar and good tea making facilities. The bed was more than comfortable and as for cleanliness, it was immaculate.
For a mid-week night the hotel was very busy, which I find reassuring.
I will definitely be coming back here for a longer stay, because I'd really love to try the restaurant.
Marlow is a very pretty town and I think that the hotel is in the perfect location for whatever you chose to do in and around the area. This is a great hotel in all weathers and all seasons.
The hotel reception were both courteous and friendly and I would not hesitate to recommend to friends and family.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the weir. You won't regret it.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
GWyncoll, General Manager at Macdonald Compleat Angler, responded to this review, September 22, 2013
Thank you for comments. I am so pleased to hear how you enjoyed your stay. I hope to welcome you back again soon. For the benefit of other readers, the rooms with balconies overlooking the weir are our Feature bedrooms. For our best rates, look on our own website for seasonal promotions or stay 2 nights for better rates. Fridays and Sundays are generally the least expensive of the week.

Kindest regards

Basingstoke, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 16, 2013

My room was small and both the bed side table and main dressing table were over filled with books and e.t.c. so nowhere to put my things. The bathroom was missing some caps to fixtures and the high bath and closeness of the sink meant getting out was a challenge. The food was good but service was slow at breakfast. Check in and out was slow and impersonal. £3 credit card fee is just nasty. However location is great and the views of the river lovely.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Richard B
Thank you for taking the time to raise your comments following your recent say. I do hope that you brought these to our attention when you were here. The classic and executive rooms do vary in size as they are located in the main part of the building although they are a standard size and suitable for a short stay. We do place magazines and the guest directory on the dressing table so they are visible for your arrival, however, you are more than welcome to move them into the drawers.

I am, of course, sorry to note that you felt that service and reception and at breakfast was slow. As a company, we have chosen to levy this charge to only those paying by credit cards with higher administration fees from the banks rather than making a charge across the board or adding to the room rate for all guests.

I am glad that you enjoyed the location and I do hope that we can welcome you back. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly so that I can oversee your booking personally.

Kindest regards

Gaius Wyncoll
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marlow
Danesfield House Hotel And Spa
#1 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames
Grovefield House
Grovefield House
#1 of 3 in Burnham

Been to Macdonald Compleat Angler? Share your experiences!