“Lovely but very cold room”

Macdonald Compleat Angler
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Marlow
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 17, 2013

Stayed for one night at the Compleat Angler Hotel. Hotel is in excellent order of furnishing and decor. Service was very good. 3 course dinner was very enjoyable, but not enough for my husband even with extra potatoes. Drink was very expensive. Breakfast, buffet was small but well stocked, service good, cooked breakfast was partly cold a little disappointing.

Our room was lovely well furnished and clean, we over looked the river and beautiful church, however, the room was very cold, we put the temperture up but didn't make much difference, the room was not double glazed. Also the bed quilt was not big enough for the bed. Resulting in the worse night sleep we both have ever had in a hotel. Also, it was the first hotel I have ever stayed in where u have to ring for extra blankets surely blankets would be left in the room as standard! Also tea and coffee was provided, but u had to ring for milk, why not put some in the fridge. Simple things, common sence but make a difference.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
GWyncoll, General Manager at Macdonald Compleat Angler, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

It is always a pleasure to read favourable comments, however, I am sorry to learn that your room was cold. I believe that you stayed over a particularly cold spell, however, your stay should not have been affected in the way in which you have described. Unfortunately, I cannot identify the room that you stayed in, however, I can only hope that you mentioned this during your stay or on departure so that we could check the heating in this room as this is not a normal occurrence. We do provide milk jiggers in all rooms as part of the complimentary tea and coffee making facilities, however, we place a card in each room to state that fresh milk is available, which would deliver to your room. As we have mini-bars at this hotel, you can then keep the milk in the fridge. I do hope that you will still considering returning to stay with us again. Please do let me know when making a booking so that I can personally check your reservation.

Reviewed March 17, 2013

We have dined here and stayed here a few times now. The staff are attentive but not intrusive. The setting is absolutely beautiful. The food is superb and beautifully presented. The hotel is clean and well furnished. We most recently came here for my husband's birthday and it was as excellent as ever.

The only thing that spoils the overall ambience is the wine waiter. He is a little too pushy and a bit over zealous in his keeness to sell more wine. he once poured a glass of wine for someone in our party who was driving and made it very clear they did not want to drink!

However that aside, the Compleat Angler is a beautiful hotel and restaurant and we have enjoyed our times here every time.

Room Tip: Choose one away from the function rooms as noise may be an issue with weddings etc. It is worth payi...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends

I am pleased to hear that you have dined here on several occasions and you have enjoyed the food and the setting. I am sorry if you have felt that the wine waiter has been over zealous. He receives many positive comments, which you can read on other postings, however, I understand that this has been your experience. I do hope that you will have the pleasure of returning soon when I would encourage you to make your comments known to myself or my Operations Manager, James Webb.

Reviewed March 15, 2013

Have always known about the Compleat Angler.........arrived without a booking on a Sunday not really wanting a full blown meal as we were dining that evening and not really expecting to get in at all ...... We found a seat in the bar and ordered an array of sandwiches coffee wine nibbles just what we wanted....they were really busy in all of the restaurants but you would never have known service was impeccable, it really was. A big well done for being so organised and calm to all of the staff. Most enjoyable! They even boxed up some of the delicious homemade biscuits that appeared with every serving of coffee so we cold take them home. Thank you

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with friends

I am glad that you took the opportunity to visit. We have a cosy and welcoming bar and lounge and in the summer months, we have the benefit of terrace seating next to the river and the lawn which is open at weekends with BBQ style menu. Sunday lunch is very popular in both of our two award-winning restaurants and it is always worth pre-booking to guarantee a table. I do hope that you will return again.

Reviewed March 12, 2013

e-mail - http://www.macdonaldhotels.co.uk/our-hotels/macdonald-compleat-angler/ Telephone No - 01628 484444

First Impressions
This Hotel is part of the Macdonald group of hotels and located along-side the river Thames in the picturesque village of Marlow. It is about 10 minutes’ walk from the shops and cafés. The view from the hotel is very picturesque and sitting in the garden you look over the river at a grand church and the old river bridge. On arrival I waited a considerable time before someone attend to us and it was the porter who brought to the attention of the gossiping staff in the back office that customers were waiting. The attitude of the lady booking us in was enough to suggest we had disturbed the afternoon chat. Following the check in procedure the porter took our luggage to our room and explained the hotel facilities to us.

The Rooms, Facilities & Restaurants.
The room was spacious with a large comfy bed, a decent size flat screen TV, tea and coffee making facilities and a built in wardrobe. The windows were draped in curtains and the en-suite was modern with a shower and bath that was spacious and very clean. I did not dine in any of the restaurants on this visit, however, the food looked very appetizing in the restaurant. The bar prices were a little on the expensive side but that is the going rate in this area.

Staff & Service.
The majority of staff here were polite and friendly, however, I believe some of the staff were in the wrong job and I got the impression they thought they were doing you a favor by serving you.

Overall
I enjoyed my stay at this hotel, it is comfortable and it had ample facilities for my brief stay, it was an ideal stop-off on my trip. The Hotel’s grounds are very scenic alongside the Thames and it is also a great place to relax. The village of Marlow It has some great little cafés and restaurants and it is a great place to lose yourself.

Hotel - 7/10
Service- 6 /10
The Food- Didn’t dine here
Value for Money - 8 /10 had a deal on late rooms.

Room Tip: A room with a view of the river, stunning.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your detailed review of your stay with us. It appears that you had a very enjoyable stay and that you appreciated the location of the hotel and the town of Marlow, which is just across the bridge. It is just a shame that you did not have the opportunity to dine with us on this occasion – I hope that you do next time. I am sorry that a couple of team members let the hotel down and I can see from your arrival experience that you will have formed this impression. I do hope that this will not deter you from returning.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

We have wanted to stay at this hotel for long time. Our expectations were met, although we did have a couple of problems which were rectified professionally. The bedroom was small by modern standards but as the room was situated in the original hotel block this was understandable, it also had a great view of the lock weir. The food experience was vdery good and I am sure enhanced in the summer when views of the river can be taken in whilst dining. Altogether a great weekend and would love to come back.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

I am sorry to read that you encountered a couple of issues, however, pleased that these were rectified professionally. The classic rooms in the original hotel rooms are not overly spacious and we would always highly recommend our Feature rooms that are much larger and have private balconies overlooking Marlow Weir. Our produce is carefully sourced, for example, all beef and lamb is Scottish and all Chickens are free range and British. The pork and sausages are from East Anglia and Strawberries from Faversham in Kent. Great produce prepared by skilled chefs is essential and we are proud of our accolades for our food standards. Asparagus is a little late this year due to the weather, however, this will be especially nice couple with some sun on the external terrace by the river or on the hotel lawn.

I hope that we welcome you back soon.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

We enjoyed a wonderful night and were extremely well looked after by James Webb - he did an outstanding job of making us feel very welcome. Our room, which overlooked the Weir, was comfortable and spotlessly clean. While we did not eat dinner at the restaurant, we did enjoy breakfast, which was perfectly cooked. You cannot beat the location and ambiance of this hotel - thank you!

2  Thank sunfilledtraveller

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review of your positive stay at the hotel. James will be especially pleased by your comments and I hope that those reading can gather that a stay here is worth it! Hopefully you will return and have the time to dine in the restaurant.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

We have rarely been so well looked after and this is an excellent hotel with a welcoming and committed staff. We look forward to our planned return visit in the summer. The General Manager himself made sure that we were enjoying our stay and everyone was friendly and attentive. The location looking over the Thames and the Weir is charming and there are varied and pleasant shops a short walk away.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your positive feedback on your stay. My team are very committed to delivering excellent service and hospitality and it would seem that this was your own personal experience. I am glad that we will welcome you back again this year. As you have said, the location on the banks of the River Thames is charming and the town is just a walk across the bridge, which the hotel overlooks.

Kindest regards,

Gaius Wyncoll

Also consider these accommodations in or near Marlow
Crowne Plaza Marlow
Stoke Park Country Club, Spa and Hotel
Hotel du Vin
Hotel du Vin
#1 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames

Been to Macdonald Compleat Angler? Share your experiences!