“Chilled out weekend”

Macdonald Compleat Angler
Ranked #3 of 4 Hotels in Marlow
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed March 7, 2013

We have wanted to stay at this hotel for long time. Our expectations were met, although we did have a couple of problems which were rectified professionally. The bedroom was small by modern standards but as the room was situated in the original hotel block this was understandable, it also had a great view of the lock weir. The food experience was vdery good and I am sure enhanced in the summer when views of the river can be taken in whilst dining. Altogether a great weekend and would love to come back.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
GWyncoll, General Manager at Macdonald Compleat Angler, responded to this reviewResponded April 22, 2013

I am sorry to read that you encountered a couple of issues, however, pleased that these were rectified professionally. The classic rooms in the original hotel rooms are not overly spacious and we would always highly recommend our Feature rooms that are much larger and have private balconies overlooking Marlow Weir. Our produce is carefully sourced, for example, all beef and lamb is Scottish and all Chickens are free range and British. The pork and sausages are from East Anglia and Strawberries from Faversham in Kent. Great produce prepared by skilled chefs is essential and we are proud of our accolades for our food standards. Asparagus is a little late this year due to the weather, however, this will be especially nice couple with some sun on the external terrace by the river or on the hotel lawn.

I hope that we welcome you back soon.

Kind regards

There are newer reviews for Macdonald Compleat Angler

Reviewed March 5, 2013

We enjoyed a wonderful night and were extremely well looked after by James Webb - he did an outstanding job of making us feel very welcome. Our room, which overlooked the Weir, was comfortable and spotlessly clean. While we did not eat dinner at the restaurant, we did enjoy breakfast, which was perfectly cooked. You cannot beat the location and ambiance of this hotel - thank you!

2  Thank sunfilledtraveller

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to post a review of your positive stay at the hotel. James will be especially pleased by your comments and I hope that those reading can gather that a stay here is worth it! Hopefully you will return and have the time to dine in the restaurant.

Reviewed March 1, 2013

We have rarely been so well looked after and this is an excellent hotel with a welcoming and committed staff. We look forward to our planned return visit in the summer. The General Manager himself made sure that we were enjoying our stay and everyone was friendly and attentive. The location looking over the Thames and the Weir is charming and there are varied and pleasant shops a short walk away.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your positive feedback on your stay. My team are very committed to delivering excellent service and hospitality and it would seem that this was your own personal experience. I am glad that we will welcome you back again this year. As you have said, the location on the banks of the River Thames is charming and the town is just a walk across the bridge, which the hotel overlooks.

Kindest regards,

Reviewed February 22, 2013

I have recently been to a function at the compleat angler and received fantastic service from a couple of young bar men in the banqueting department. The bar men were not only friendly but also professional and knowledgeable. I believe their talent is wasted working as bar men as I feel they are capable of much more.

Overall I was very impressed with the event that I'm planning a short weekend getaway at the compleat angler.

Thanks again for the fantastic hospitality and I look forward to visiting In the near future.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Herundo A

Thank you so much for your comments. It is always a pleasure to hear that this is the best hotel that one of our guests has stayed in. This is exactly the experience that we aim to provide all of the time. I certainly look forward to welcoming you back for your event. Please do let me know when this is taking place.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We took advantage of a special offer for two nights in February which included breakfast and dinner. I understand the rooms can cost up to £200.00 per night so we expected something quite grand. The room was pleasant enough with a view overlooking a dramatic Weir that although very pretty, for some people (Not us by the way) might find it a little noisy.
As I said although this room was can be advertised at £200 per night, I felt this might be considered somewhat expensive. We went with another couple for this weekend deal who on their first night had to wait and in consequence, arrive late for dinner because no hot water at that time was available in their room. They were however compensated with a glass of wine each. They also complained about how little draw space there was and why a safe was situated so low inside a cupboard. However having said this, their room was certainly larger then ours! We found our tea and coffee hidden inside our wardrobe and to play the DVD player we had to open the fridge door first! We also had similar problems with the lack of draw space. The food was however excellent although very expensive or it would have been, had we been paying the normal going rate,
The thing that really did annoy me was being charged 3% on top of an expensive bill to use my credit card. Our room bill for the two night break including breakfast and dinner with a bottle of wine (Service charge added to the wine by the way) two standard drinks and a newspaper £436.00 + 3% credit card surcharge. It’s a nice place but in my opinion much too expensive for a weekend break

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank GoodValuePlaces
GWyncoll, General Manager at Macdonald Compleat Angler, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Thank you for you feedback following your recent stay at the hotel. I am glad that you found the room pleasant even though you were expecting something a little grander. The Classic and Executive rooms are not exceptionally large although they are well appointed and I would say that they are adequate for a short stay. As the hotel has been here for many years, the rooms do vary in shape and some may say that this adds to the character of the hotel. Unfortunately, I would have to know the specific room number to comment further.

For those wanting more space, I would recommend the Feature rooms that are much larger and also have the benefit of larger televisions, super king sized beds, separate showers, double vanity and private balconies overlooking the weir.

I am glad that you found the food was excellent. A dinner inclusive package is currently £9.00 per person less expensive that should you choose to take dinner separately so this is ultimately more cost effective.

I am bemused by your comment about the 3% credit card charge. We charge a £3 administration fee when paying by credit card. There is no charge for paying by cash, cheque or debit card and the service charge is discretionary.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

We stayed at the Compleat Angler in February 2013, and we found it over priced. We paid London prices for a small, noisy, and hot, room overlooking the car park and bins. There was mildew in the bathroom, the TV didn't properly [and the remote control was so worn out you couldn't read the button labels]...it was just a bit shabby. We wouldn't stay there again. It benefits from a great location, and the fact that there isn't any competition [unless you count the Premier Inn!]. It is a nice hotel, just not worth the money.

Room Tip: Facing the river/weir.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple

I am sorry to read of your disappointment. Our aim is to provide the highest standards and levels of service, however, it is clear that we have not met your expectations on this occasion. I do hope that you made your comments known during you stay so that we could rectify matters for you. Our maintenance programme is ongoing and I am surprised by your comments. Please accept my sincere apologies and do not hesitate to contact me should I be able to take care of a future booking for you.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

My wife and I recently stayed at The Compleat Angler to celebrate my birthday and we had a very enjoyable stay. Our room was very spacious, comfortable and well appointed, but it was on the second floor, difficult to find and there was no lift. We ate our meals in the Bowater Restaurant and the food was excellent, though the service seemed to vary depending upon the person serving you. Most were very good, but the two older gentlemen seemed to be a little condescending, and were forgetful.
The only thing which took the edge off what would otherwise have been a perfect stay was the number of supplements on both the evening and breakfast menus. When you are paying these prices you do not expect to see lots of supplements.
Finally, when you come to check-out, one worthwhile tip is to avoid peak times. As the reception is very small and in the main entrance corridor. A long queue therefore forms very quickly stretching for some distance. There is also a £3 charge added if you pay your bill using a credit card !!!

Room Tip: Rooms with the best views are those overlooking the river. The old part of the building does not ha...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Alwaysonholiday53

Thank you for your constructive comments following your recent stay at the hotel. I am pleased that you found the food was excellent, however, clearly the service was not in line with our usual standards. Without making any excuse, merely an explanation, there was a small gap between one Restaurant Manager leaving and a new one starting. Our previous manager was with us for five years and it was time to move to a fresh challenge. We do try to keep the supplements to a minimum, however, we do use them in order to keep the price as low as possible for the majority, charging extra for menu items such as extra side dishes, fillet of beef, smoked salmon and scrambled eggs and the finest Haddock or Kippers for breakfast. The credit card charge of £3 is for administration, however, we do not charge for payment by cash, cheque or debit card that does not carry the same fees.

I can understand your comment regarding check out. A queue can form on a Sunday morning in particular during 10.30 and 11.00 am which is when it is at it’s busiest. At other times, you should not experience this.

For guests requiring lift access, I would advise booking a Feature or Classic room allocated to the newer wing of the hotel. Please ask hotel reservations. The more traditional section of the hotel does not unfortunately have a lift, however, please let reservations know or reception on arrival and we will try to allocate a lower level room.

I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the future.

Gaius Wyncoll

Also consider these accommodations in or near Marlow
Crowne Plaza Marlow
#1 of 8 in Henley-on-Thames
Grovefield House
Grovefield House
#1 of 3 in Burnham

Been to Macdonald Compleat Angler? Share your experiences!