“Christmas Time”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Redditch, United Kingdom
“Christmas Time”
Reviewed December 28, 2012

My husband and I have just returned from a fantastic Christmas break spent at this hotel which is as close as you can get to the rushing River Thames. Good location - at the end of the shopping area in Marlow where there are loads of good shops and places to eat and lovely park. Very pretty with all the Christmas lights, especially the church and the bridge which was the view from our window (River views cost more but well worth it). Hotel staff were so lovely, food was fabulous, wine was expensive but very good and the whole experience was just great. Had three nights there with our daughter and new son-in-law - we all thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

Room Tip: River views (especially with all the Christmas lights) was magical. Costs more but worth it.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
GWyncoll, General Manager at Macdonald Compleat Angler, responded to this review, February 10, 2013
Thank you for your kind comments following your stay with us over Christmas. Christmas is an enjoyable time for the team, seeing most guests arrive on Christmas Eve and depart a few days later after enjoying good food and wine. I do hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back in the near future.

Kindest regards

Gaius Wyncoll

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (356)
Marlow, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 21, 2012

Stayed one night including their Christmas Party night as guests of my brother - I love the location of this hotel & the very comfy atmosphere. We had a problem with the lock of the first room that was lovely and were then moved to a stunning room so hoorah for dodgy locks! Staff were friendly and helpful. Good to see more English staff at the front desk - no problem with our Euro friends but at a quintessentially English hotel it needs to be fronted by English staff - that's all part of the hotels charm and 'theatre'. I don't mind money being spent when its the genuine article - rather than heritage English pottery or Hunter boots now made in China for buttons but still sold at top dollar prices.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dubai
Reviewed December 9, 2012

I stayed here for a 2 night trip to the UK - I was going for a business meeting so didnt get to do much. Although I very much liked the room and the service. I think I can definitely go back there with my wife for a holiday (during good weather!). The river view I think was just okay, may be because it was all grey and wet.

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Rauf M
London
Reviewed December 9, 2012

The Compleat Angler was a lovely hotel, we stayed for just one night in November but were very impressed. We booked a room overlooking the river which was absolutely stunning. The room itself was cosy and the bathroom bright and clean. The staff were also warm, welcoming and incredibly helpful. Would definitely stay again, location is wonderful and we would like to try the restaurant.

Room Tip: Book one overlooking the river.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mitchoLondon
Southampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 4, 2012

Stayed here for a family event.
Its a nice hotel with good service, but you'd expect that for the price.
As pointed out by others, the bar is expensive.
Also as pointed out by others, the breakfast service was quite slow, and 4 out of 4 breakfast orders were incorrect. Some were sorted out, others were beyond them.
Other members of our party on separate tables had exactly the same experience.
Lunch in the restaurant was good quality, but soooo slow! 3 hours to serve lunch? Come on, lifes too short!

Room Tip: Avoid rooms with adjoining doors as they have less soundproofing!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Durley66
Reviewed December 3, 2012 via mobile

We stayed here for one night last weekend whilst visiting family & friends. I was born & grew up locally and my family have been in the area for over 500 years so I have known this hotel all of my life but I had never had the opportunity to stay before now. I don't think I'll be back.
The location is perfect, although the overflow car park had flooded and it was not possible to access on foot as the route was still underwater, so there was a wait for a parking space.
The staff were very personable, welcoming & professional.
We dined out with friends and missed breakfast as we were expected at a family function so I can't comment.
The room was £162 which was as much as my wife would let me spend (!) and I was expecting a little more within the room regarding quality of decor and heating, cooling and mini bar that was provided.
The room seemed to be an attic conversion and faced the car park and was very close to the back of the bar as we could hear a very enthusiastic bottle thrower launching bottles at the recycling bin until around 1 AM.
There was a function during our stay but peace & quiet were restored at midnight.
The quality of the room was inferior to almost every other hotel I have visited across Europe in this price range. The bathroom was equipped with a shower over bath which was almost fit for purpose. The towels could have been replaced a year or two ago and the consumables supplied were meagre in quantity.
The room had two radiators although only one was warm despite turning the thermostatic valves on both to maximum. The air conditioning was very inefficient and despite being set to maximum, the room took three or four hours to reach a temperature where we could discard our coats.
Next time we visit the area I will book a hotel and hide the bill from my wife.

• Stayed December 2012
1 Thank OM4LT
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 3, 2012

The rooms are large and attractive, with lovely spotless bathrooms. Our room was on the very top floor, which means a long and winding route up many confusing staircases, which might not be suitable for an older guest. While the check in staff were warm and helpful, our one complaint was the excruciatingly slow service in the bar. We went to the bar and were told it was table service. It then took over 30 minutes for a waiter to come over and ask what we wanted! This was despite us catching eyes of more than one waiter/waitress. When we said we no longer wanted a drink as it had taken too long, we received a short, not very sincere apology... The winelist looked overpriced as well (£7 for a small glass of wine?!). Otherwise the stay was delightful, and the Aubergine restaurant comes highly recommended

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Marlow
Danesfield House Hotel And Spa
Hurley House Hotel
Hurley House Hotel
#1 of 1 in Hurley
Macdonald Windsor Hotel

Been to Macdonald Compleat Angler? Share your experiences!