“Brilliant Family Christmas”

Macdonald Compleat Angler
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Marlow
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed January 2, 2012

This was our first family Christmas away from home in 17 years, so we put a lot of preparation into selecting the hotel. We were looking for a special Christmas break and really found it all in this hotel.
Right from the start the staff did everything to make our stay absolutely incredible; everyone was very friendly and helpful and made us feel right at home. The rooms were fantastic and had a great view over the river (rooms 4 and 5), they were very clean and extremely comfortable.
The Bowaters restaurant (where we had all our meals) was amazing; the food was incredible and the staff were brilliant. They made every meal a great experience and really made us feel looked after. My Children 15 and 12 are still talking about the restaurant and the quality of the food, which is unheard of for my two (so take it from me and them the food is very good).
The cocktails in the bar were brilliant (Long Island Iced Tea and Brandy Alexander), the service was very attentive and helpful.
We loved everything about this hotel and would just like to say on behalf of my family thank you for making our stay so enjoyable. This is a very well managed hotel with excellent staff in a great location. We will be back.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Keechies
Write a ReviewReviews (2,160)

Reviewed January 1, 2012

We stayed for xmas and were impressed with the whole experience from fruit,nuts,cookies a Christmas card and even a copy of Radio Times in our room, to fabulous food, particularly the delicious variety of breads. Breakfast cooked to order served on hot plates. A knowledgable sommelier was an unexpected bonus. We even got presents.The staff were friendly and efficient without exception despite being busy and there was much attention to detail. We really felt like welcome guests, nothing was too much trouble.
The setting is lovely and I cant wait to visit in the summer.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank cynara47
Reviewed December 20, 2011

We stayed in the hotel in the summer and the room we had in the annex I didnt think was up to scratch.As a result Iwrote to the manager about the room and how my concerns over the same were delt with. i had a pleasant letter back inviting us to stay for another night,complimentary. We almost didn't bother to go back but are so glad that we did. It was a totally different experience. Our room was on the second floor overlooking the weir. It couldnt be faulted . It was bright clean and well appointed.

We ate in Abergene and had a fantastic meal. On our last vist we ate at the Hand and Flowers, this was in my humble opinion at least as good. the attention to detail from the bread to the pudding couldnt be faulted. An excellent meal.iIhave to say the number of staff to dinners ,seemed to me to be low but you wouldn't have noticed it ,the service by the young staff was exemplary..

Breakfast the next day was again very good and the food served to you as opposed to lukewarm buffet style that some hotels adopt.

Overall a lovely night and we are so glad we went back.

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank pentrelegal
Reviewed November 25, 2011

This is basically a motel with a great view -at the price of the Dorchester in London. The staff is cold, inflexible, and unwelcoming. We arrived having booked as part of a wedding and were told we could not get into our room until 3 pm despite the bus leaving at 1 pm. We were told that "those are the rules" and then were told we could not use any room to change in either. Having flown in from Hong Kong we were less than amused. The staff seemed keen on getting away with as little work as possible and were happy to have rules to rely on so they could say "computer says no". We had reserved a table at the restaurant for lunch and had booked for 3 and a fourth asked to join. We entered the restaurant and there were 3 people working, all ignoring us again. We asked one of them if we could add one to our party and he said we had to wait to ask that when the restaurant opened in 10 minutes! We stood there waiting the 10 minutes while they all faffed about and when the restaurant "opened" he said we could add one to our party but they needed more time to arrange our table. We went for a little walk and when we went to be seated (by the same person!) he seated us at a 3 person table, we reminded him we were a party of four, to which he retorted too strongly that we had booked for 3! The lunch was fine. We continued to badger them until we were finally given a room. The room was nice but the experience made us feel like unwelcome houseguests which burned even more after paying the horrendous bill for this "pleasure".

Room Tip: Don't come here
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
GWyncoll, General Manager at Macdonald Compleat Angler, responded to this reviewResponded December 7, 2011

I am very sorry to learn of your disappointment. All of our rooms are available from 2pm, however, if your room is ready we will naturally allow you to check into the hotel. I am sorry if you felt that this was not handled well at the time. Unfortunately, I cannot identify from your comments when you stayed with us and therefore, I cannot investigate this matter further. We do normally offer a changing room, however, perhaps this was in use when you arrived. Your experience on arrival is also most unusual and I can only apologise at this stage. I am pleased that you enjoyed your meal and the room, however, I can understand your frustration with the elements reported here. Although of little consolation to the person who has written here, readers can be assured that this is not our usual standard.

Reviewed November 13, 2011

Very pleasant hotel with friendly staff. Our room - a standard double - was fairly compact but nicely decorated and very clean and comfortable with a decent size bathroom.
Good breakfast included.
Plenty of free parking which was a bonus.
We had an evening meal with friends in the Aubergine restaurant and what a fabulous experience that was. The food was superb and we could not fault the service.
We would certainly like to return.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple

This is exactly the stay that we would like each and everyone of our guests to experience. Thank you for sharing your positive comments with the world! We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed November 7, 2011

We had been to the Compleat Angler in Marlow in September which was a wonderful experience and having eating in Bowaters for dinner, the food there was absolutely fantastic. Have the Beef Wellington, it’s so, so good. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and was delighted that this little gem of a hotel with two fantastic restaurants are less than an hour away from home. The only downside was that I’d have to think of another reason to visit soon. My great friend Keeley decided that as it was my birthday she would treat me and Gorgeousman to DBB at the hotel I kept raving about.

Before I go on about the food, I absolutely have to say that every member of staff and management that we encountered were so friendly, helpful and down to earth that it made our stay extra special. The team really couldn’t do enough for us and even gave us a complimentary upgrade to a Suite which had a triple aspect river view. We had previously stayed in the Feature Room which was huge and was utterly fantastic as it had with enormous beds that were far too comfortable than they had a right to be and beautiful views.

Back to our Nov visit and to our dinner in Aubergine. Definitely one of the best meals I have eaten in years. Outstanding. Exceptional. Cooked by Chefs who love food and care about the quality of their ingredients and the taste on the plate. We opted for the 5 course tasting Menu which was a £20 supplement on the standard DBB rate and is normally £55 per person. It was worth double and believe me, it’s not very often you’ll see me say that. If you eat at Aubergine, go tasting menu. We also went for the wine package which provided a different glass of wine with each course and they were always the perfect pairing.

Now to the food: It is going to be very difficult to describe and do justice to the taste of the food but here goes. We started with the first amuse bouche of Crispy mushroom with truffle hollandaise and a feta canapé topped with caramelized fig. The dining room has an ambience of calm, warm and relaxing. The waiting staff are attentive yet not intrusive and the Sommelier certainly knows his stuff and had a wealth of interesting knowledge which he kindly shared with us.

First course: After giving us some delicious home-made bread rolls our first perfectly wine-matched course was Avocado mousse with Crab and Grapefruit jelly. The visual display was a great as it was presented on a square frosted glass dish which was decorated with tiny piles of avocado mouse, micro herbs and a generous portion of the freshest crab imaginable topped with a deep, slightly sharp grapefruit compote/jelly. It all worked brilliantly together and the wine choice was inspired.

Second course: Lobster Tortellini – this super home made pasta was generously filled with fresh lobster and sat on a bed of intensely flavoured cauliflower puree which was elegant on the plate and beautifully executed and the flavours were heavenly.

Second amuse bouche: Butternut squash soup with truffle foam. Delicious.

Third course: My favourite – seared Fois Gras. Gorgeousman refuses to eat fois gras because of how it’s made. Alas, I’m am not so virtuous and as it is already in the kitchen, my not eating it isn’t going to change the world. So, Gorgeousman opted for a Goats Cheese (a cheese I could not destest more, urghhh) and beetroot (definitely last on my list of things I’d eat if starving). However, the two of them on one the plate looked great and he raved about the flavours and how it matched with the Muscat de Beaumes de Venise wine (yes it is a pudding wine, but it worked brilliantly). My fois gras was perfectly sized, crispy and not a bit of oil anywhere. It came with, yes you’ve guessed it beetroot. I now need to say I’m a convert – it was tiny dice of beetroot which has been treat much in the same way as caramelised ginger. The texture and sweetness of the beetroot with the fois gras was perfect, perfect, perfect.

Third amuse bouche: Rasberry and sorbet – tingled on my tongue, lovely and not too sweet.

Fourth course: Aged filled of beef (paired with Merlot) – this was perfectly cooked rare and was so soft it could have been cut with a spoon. The depth of flavour in the Madeira jus was amazing and the garlic mash it came with had exactly the right amount of garlic (just a touch) and this was next to a bed of perfectly seasoned spinach. I’m using the word perfect a lot and I make no apology for this.

Dessert: Rhubarb crumble soufflé – this was genius. A lot of the time restaurant desserts can be a bit blah. Not this one; light, hot, crispy outside, light as a feather inside, packed full of rhubarb flavour and served with a silky smooth home-made vanilla ice cream and little nuggets of buttery, biscuity crumble.

This meal was a 10/10, flawless and your life will be that much happier after eating there.

Room Tip: Feature rooms in the newer block and Room 8 in the main building
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank eRecruitSmart

Thank you so much for the detailed description of your experience. You were clearly satisfied with you stay as you would like to come back for more. I am sure that those reading your meal experience in Aubergine and compliments of the team can be reassured that they will have a fantastic stay here. Our aim to provide a relaxed, friendly service without being intrusive matched with a real gourmet experience. I hope to meet you in the future.

Reviewed November 5, 2011

This is part of a chain of restaurants not as grand as it once was under the previous owners, but, well worth a visit, situated right on the banks of the Thames at Marlow. Bucks. Service very attentive and food very good. If arranging at event do check before hand every thing is at you have requested. General Manager extremely helpful. Good facilities for entertaining, parking on site (no longer valet!) ..Lovely atmosphere all considered well worth a vist.

Room Tip: Restaurant only, did not stay.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family

It is nice to receive a personal compliment! I am glad that you enjoyed the food, service and the atmosphere during your time here. You are very welcome to come again!

Gaius Wyncoll

Also consider these accommodations in or near Marlow
Crowne Plaza Marlow
Stoke Park Country Club, Spa and Hotel
The Oakley Court
The Oakley Court
#2 of 19 in Windsor

Been to Macdonald Compleat Angler? Share your experiences!