“A enjoyable evening by the wood burner!”
Review of The Royal Oak

The Royal Oak
Ranked #12 of 79 Restaurants in Marlow
Cuisines: British
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: From the banks of the Thames take the short trip up the winding hill to Bovingdon Green and the warm, wooden heart of award-winning The Royal Oak. Oak by name and oaken by nature - but not hard or austere: not a bit of it. Bare floorboards and ancient timbers ooze bonhomie, it feels like someone's home - it might as well be yours for the time you are there. Like old friends visiting for dinner, the welcome is easy and relaxed. It's journey's end.
Reviewed January 1, 2013

The atmosphere is very nice, low lights, low beams and a wood burning stove. Service was good, my mains was chicken with barley and wine and was very nice. Starters were shared and I had bread with balsamic vinegar and olive oil.

Afters was some sorbets followed by pepermint tea. We shared a Pinot Grigio wine which was very nice.

We have eaten here before and would certainly do so again.

Reviewed December 23, 2012

We went on a recommendation and I have to say that it was not as good as expected. The staff were lovely and friendly but as it was a Sunday the menu was rather limited. We both opted for a roast and whilst it was nice, it wasn't that stunning and we both felt there was not enough on the plate. A single slice ofeat might look pretty but left both of us feign hard done by!
However the desserts were stunning. My husband had crumble and I had the peppermint parfait and both of us were amazed at how good they were. So if you fancy a fairly ok meal with an amazing puffing, head for here!

Reviewed December 23, 2012

Food is OK but might expect a little better for the price. We have eaten there regularly (normally on a Sunday evening) but the staff seem to barely recognise us - other places are far more welcoming. If the Royal Oak wants to encourage frequent diners then they will need to improve their customer service.

1  Thank dansvotremaison_com
Reviewed December 21, 2012

I like The Royal Oak, in fact I have commented previously that I think it is one of the best pub/restaurants in Marlow ....however?

Earlier this week a bunch of friends got together and had dinner in the Royal Oak. The atmosphere is wonderful and the service very good, always a smile from the accommodating staff. In an earlier review I raved about the 'Bubble and Squeak' and only because I felt I should be a bit adventurous did I chose to try something different, two of my friends did have the Bubble & Squeak (main course) which comprise 2 cakes of bubble & squeak, 2 poached eggs and 2 large rashers of oak smoked back bacon and a hollandaise sauce (£11.95) and both seemed to struggle towards the end, it's a big plate of food.

I chose from the 'specials' a Crispy Pork Belly with a red cabbage and diced potatoes ....and it was disappointing. The pork was not overly generous and sat on top of the cabbage; the diced potatoes, of which there were maybe 10 or 12 small cubes were arranged in a circle more as a garnish than a significant ingredient of the meal. Everything was cooked well ......it was just "I won't bother with that again, I'll have the Bubble & Squeak!

Lovely pub, open fires and great beer from the local Rebellion brewery

2  Thank Alan B
Reviewed November 19, 2012

Ate here with friends for lunch on my birthday.

We all shared a selection of dishes including crispy salt'n pepper squid with romesco sauc;, bubble and squeak with oak smoked bacon & free range poached egg with hollandaise sauce; 'wobbly bottom' goat's cheese with preserved grapes, honey parsnips and chilli popcorn and smoked mackerel salad with marinated beetroot and local rosehip creme fraiche. Good innovative tasty dishes, presented temptingly.

All washed down with a bottle of Sauvignon Blanc. This gastro-pub is cosy, welcoming, dog-loving and always has a good buzzy atmosphere.

1  Thank fairylightqueen