“Night out here was disappointing”

The Chequers, Marlow
Ranked #23 of 76 Restaurants in Marlow
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Located in the historic town of Marlow on the River Thames and surrounded by beautiful countryside, The Chequers is a stunning pub, designed to make you feel welcome from the moment you step through the door.
Reviewed June 2, 2013

Having previously enjoyed lunch here was really looking forward to a night out but left disappointed with the experience. I ordered a fillet steak and upgraded to a 12oz.....only to be totally shocked when the bill came that it was £50! Staff had not informed of the price at the time of ordering so please beware! This is the most expensive to date restaurant we have been to as a family of three. Also the staff were uninterested. On a plus they still have a great selection of ales/wine.
There are plenty more restaurants that offer value for money in Marlow. Won't be rushing back here.

Reviewed May 7, 2013

The Chequers is a super restaurant that knows how to cook steaks just the way you like and request them. Wonderful atmosphere and good food. Always visit with with friends, usually between 8 or 10 of us and always consistent,

Reviewed April 30, 2013

A large group of us went for Sunday lunch recently. We all queued up for the carvery lunch (beef, lamb or turkey). Two thick slices of beef - cheap meat which was tasteless. Veg consisted of peas (hard), parsnips (thin, pale and floppy), roast potatoes (seemed to be deep fried) and carrots (good). The yorkshire pudding was the best part of the meal. I could smell the gravy from a distance - that horrible artificial powder mixed with boiling water - it was awful. A very disappointing lunch, most of which I left on the plate. I didn't want to make a fuss as one of our group was paying for everyone, but, needless to say I would not return. I have eaten here in the evening and the steaks were fine - avoid the carvery lunch!

Reviewed April 16, 2013

Lovely local pub. Great selection of ales and great food. Right in the heart of Marlow. Only had lunches there so looking forward to a night out there.

Reviewed April 13, 2013

We visited this restaurant in Marlow for a family get together. I haven't been for a few years so think its had a make over which has improved the appearance of the place. The service was good and a few of our party decided to go for the Sunday Carvery. The food was to a good standard but in my opinion was just good and not particularly special. Living a few miles away I wouldn't make a special effort to revisit.

Overall good food and service but not doing enough for me to make me come back.