“Very good but could be better...” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Chequers Inn

Chequers Inn
Reserve with OpenTable
Chequers Inn is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #19 of 74 Restaurants in Marlow
Cuisines: Steakhouse, Bar, British, Pub
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining options: Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Description: Located in the historic town of Marlow on the River Thames and surrounded by beautiful countryside, The Chequers is a stunning pub, designed to make you feel welcome from the moment you step through the door.
“Very good but could be better...”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

We booked a table for Saturday for a treat, glad we did as it was very busy when we arrived. We got the restaurant around 7.50pm, gave our name and was greeted by "you are early and we are busy so you may have a wait"....not a nice welcome! I offered to take a drink in the bar and was told "no don't bother, follow me"!. We had a nice table in the middle room by the fireplace, nice comfy chairs. Waitress said nothing, plonked the menus down and walked off. Another waitress then came to take our drinks order, she was much nicer than the waitress on arrival. We ordered a bottle of rosé (we asked for help choosing a bottle but the waitress did not have a clue), we then chose a bottle to find that they did not have any, handy! A restaurant and a bar/pub with no wine, that really annoys me!), so we chose a bottle of fizz, nice touch when the waiter came, the glasses had a strawberry on the side. He opened the bottle, brought an ice bucket and that was the last we saw of him. The menu is good, nice selection, we opted for the market price steaks, you can choose a cut and size of your choice and it is cooked the way you like it. The steak came with chips, tomatoes and half a large mushroom and it was heaven! The best cut of steak I have ever eaten. We also chose monkey gland sauce which was a first for me! For dessert we ordered the chefs selection which were smaller portions of three desserts for the menu. Our waitress was attentive overall but did not appear to like working there, she appeared to be "going through the motions" rather that going the extra mile. We chose this restaurant as one of our date nights (we have 1 a month booked in various restaurants throughout 2013) and it was very good but could be better.....oh I should add that the man cutting the meat at the counter was in a tie and shirt, no apron and no gloves....not a big problem...but...he also was the wine waiter and was seen cleaning a table at one point....not sure if health and safety would like that ! She I go back I will go midweek as in January and February you get 50% off on certain nights.

1 Thank Paul G

Marlow, United Kingdom
“The best steak in town”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013

Wow!

We have eaten here on a few occassions and drink here regulary but I recently tried the filet steak and it was AMAZING!

It's a lovely old pub with a modern feel and the decor is just right. The staff are great and helpful and friendly. There is the Whisky bar which is very snug on a winters evening then there is the main bar which has a more modern feel with lots of wood and cow skin hide chair coverings. Not the place for a veggie perhaps. The drinks are on the expensive side though.

So the meal. We ate here on Boxing day for a friends birthday and us guys had the fillet steak. You choose from the butchers counter and say how much steak you want. We selected ours, told them how we wanted it cooked and chose a sauce. I have to say that it was the best steak I have ever tasted. The flavour, texture was superb. It melted in your mouth. One of those meals that you never want to end. It's not cheap but you get what you pay for and when the food is this good, you don't mind paying that bit extra.

Well done the team at the Chequers and keep up the good work but check out your rivals bar prices.

Visited December 2012
Newbury, Berkshire
“Non-Existent Customer Service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2013

I have thought for a couple of days before writing this review as I have never written a bad review but having read some other reviews on this restaurant, there seems to be a consistent theme of poor customer service. Although I have high standards I am very forgiving. I would love to review the food but we did not get that far! I usually always book but we only decided to go to Marlow that morning. We entered the restaurant at 1300 and it was about 40% full. We asked a waitress if we could sit anywhere but were told they were fully booked. I would have no issue with that but clearly they were not and of the many options we could have been asked was if we wanted to come back when a table would be ready of have a drink at the bar. We walked across the road to Zizzi which was almost full and the customer service experience could not have been more different (see separate review).

• Visited January 2013
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
Colchester, United Kingdom
“THE BEST RESTAURANT EVER!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 2, 2013

We are regular visitors to Chequers Inn in Marlow and just had Christmas lunch there - what a day and meal to remember. Wesley, Vic, Donovan and the rest of the staff could not do enough for us on the day. The food was superb and what a great atmosphere. Thanks to all of you for making our Christmas day so special - Christian and Susie Cooper

• Visited December 2012
Marlow, United Kingdom
“Poor!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2012 via mobile

Called in for drinks tonight! One bar closed for a private party, so went to the main bar! Very busy, waited 10 minutes to be served but that was fine, chatting to my daughter! Ended up perched at end of bar, friendly staff!!!! BUT ladies loos were disgusting at 8pm! Have always been told judge a restaurants kitchen by its loos........ I will never eat here!