“Wonderful service from reception, but bar service not so good”
Review of Hotel Trave

Hotel Trave
Ranked #12 of 12 Hotels in Figueres
Reviewed August 30, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights with my family. The hotel is pleasant and located about 10 minutes walk from the town centre. The room was a good size and air conditioned. The hotel also had a small outdoor swimming pool which the children loved and complimentary wi-fi throughout. The receptionist was extremely helpful and even let me use the hotel's computer to print off my boarding passes for the flight home which saved a lot of time and trouble. The bar area had a pleasant outdoor seating area, unfortunately the barman we dealt with on the two nights we were there was neither friendly or helpful. The first night he was quite put out because my daughter and I wanted to play pool just before 11 pm and only agreed to give us cues because we had already put our money in the pool table and on the second night he was indignant because my family asked if he could put the TV on so we could watch the closing ceremony of the Olympics. He reluctantly agreed then after about 15 minutes we were asked to drink up as bar was closed (it was about 23.50) and we were told we had to take our drinks and go back to our room to watch the ceremony. I have never been in a bar in Spain in my life which closed so early and never been in a hotel bar anywhere in the world where I was told to drink my drink or take it back to my room at such an early hour.
Finally when I got my credit card bill for my extras, I realized all my family's drinks for both nights in the bar had been charged charged to me in my "Home" Currency (GBP) Which used an inferior conversion rate. Under credit card rules the merchant is supposed to give me a choice of paying in Euros or GB £ but this barman did not offer me the choice and so either willingly or unwittingly, ripped me off...!
To summarise, the (1 Star rated) barman lets the otherwise good experience down and needs to take a lesson in customer service from the (5 Star rated) receptionist.

Room Tip: Check if you pay for any drinks by credit card that the barman is charging in Euros and not your ...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
8  Thank Mikeo111

Reviewed August 3, 2012

This hotel is clean and the reception staff are very friendly. The pool is at the side of the reception and quite near the road, it was nice and clean though and although limited seating area at the pool there are more further on. We booked a double room but got a room with two single beds, we thought about asking for a swap but the rest of the room was fine so we just got on with it.
The bar was ok with seating outside, the guy serving seemed uninterested and a little slow to take our order.
The town is a 10 min straight walk, I wouldn't say scary but quite a quiet walk back late at night.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 17, 2012

A bit far from the town center and the Dali Museum - the only reason we were in Figueres - the hotel felt old and in bad need of a renovation. Even in 100 degrees weather, the sad pool at the front of the hotel could not tempt us. I recommend driving the short distance to the beautiful seaside town of Roses for dinner.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 17, 2012

This is a good value for the money. Rooms are spacious and make you feel like you are in Spain. The pool was clean and well maintained. The staff was friendly and spoke English well. We were given a room with two single beds, but asked to change rooms, that was no problem. The restaurant has an excellent lunch deal, three wonderful courses and includes a bottle of wine. The only draw back is that it is not as centrally located as some other hotels, but it is the closest hotel to the high speed train.

Room Tip: Don't miss the restaurant.
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Linda T
Reviewed June 9, 2012

We spent a night in Aug 2011 on our way from Barcelona. We found Hotel Trave a simple place, very suitable for spending the night but not really for spending time at the hotel or in the room (other than sleeping).

We walked around a bit, it's about 15-20 mins walk to city centre, located on a quiet street; didn't really find any restaurants in the area but did find a supermarket nearby (about 7 mins walk away).

We had drinks at the bar in the evening, slept ok and had a nice breakfast in the morning - this was what we were after too so overall it was a positive experience. One thing though: I'm not sure I would have wanted to stay here if I was alone - the place was very dark & quiet, bordering deserted and this I found somewhat strange and spooky even.

Positives:
- Finding the hotel was easy enough (we just followed the signs in the city)
- Parking area was very close, free and spacious
- Staff at check-in desk and bar were welcoming, if a little bored looking
- The place was surprisingly quiet
- Breakfast was good - nice selection of bread, fruits, eggs, coffee, tea, pastries etc.
- Free wi-fi in rooms worked well

Negatives:
- The place looked very dated and somewhat dark
- Rooms were very basic and had small flaws (ripped curtains in my room, the sink somewhat blocked but nothing too bad)
- We had some language problems - the helpful night staff at front desk and bar didn't really speak English
- Whilst the small pool was nice the water was very cold; also the pool was very deep (not really suitable for children)
- Although it was August the place looked deserted - I only saw staff members and an elderly couple staying there

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank paiiv
Reviewed May 27, 2012

We recently stayed here...initially staff were welcoming and room appeared adequate...after eating out in town we returned for a couple of drinks at the bar, bar man not at all helpfull or interested, we were only ones in the bar cafe area, also very expensive for game at pool table, which was basic eg not normal pool cues. It was not even midnight and we were asked to drink up as bar was closed. So Off to bed; to get sleepless night... the walls must have no sound proofing (paper thin), hearing every movement, noise etc etc from the adjacent room / occupant. Certainly not as anticipated.

Next night found we dicovered a really good Hostel, Hostel Barretina, just a few hundred yards from centre and was very good. Staff were excellent, friendly and very helpfull. A must if your looking for a room with en-suite and other facilities at reasonable prices

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Fissul
Reviewed August 13, 2011

We spent a night at Hotel Trave en route from Barcelona to the Dordogne. It was a comfortable and restful stop. It was a short trek to each of the train stations, to the post office and to the Salvador Dali museum. Room, restaurant, computer connection and pool were all good. Staff were very kind and helpful.

Room Tip: We had a room with four single beds in the building across the street. Had AC and extra blanktes. Cl...
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled with family