“Very Unprofessional”
Review of Hotel Emporda

Hotel Emporda
Ranked #9 of 12 Hotels in Figueres
Reviewed August 22, 2013

My husband and I recently visited the Figueres area and had a very disappointing experience with this hotel. We were visiting a Spanish friend of ours about an hour away from this hotel and he recommended this hotel to spend the evening. We called directly to the hotel mid afternoon for that evening and made reservations for two rooms which we were told were available. We paid with our credit card and told them our arrival time would be about 9 pm. Upon arrival shortly after nine, we get to the front desk and are first told our rooms are available. The front desk receptionist walks away and upon return, tells us there was an error when booking and there are no rooms available. While we are standing there another couple walks in and checks into the hotel and are given their keys. When we asked for help securing another room elsewhere, they told us we will not find rooms anywhere else as this is a busy weekend, but they can secure us a room at another hotel owned by the same family just twenty minutes away. Due to the time of evening and us being tired we decided to go to their "other" hotel which turned out to be 45 minutes away. Needless to say they were not very apologetic or understanding to the fact that they created this situation and it was a huge inconvenience to us as the other hotel was not even in the direction we were traveling. I would not recommend booking with this hotel.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed July 13, 2013

I returned to Hotel Emporda in Figueras, this easy to find hotel with an excellent restaurant and a list of excellent wines. Try some of the local wines from Marti Fabri or the producers in Capmany, just up the road. Excellent service. A very convenient stop for an overnight stay going north to France from Spain. The chef of this restaurant provided take away meals for Salvador Dali in the last years of his life.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank catoneill
Reviewed June 30, 2013

Such a fab hotel, clean, bright, comfortable (the bed was as comfy as my own!!) and everywhere a little extra touch to raise it above other 4 stars. Really well furnished and bathroom had bidet and jacuzzi bath. Linen was of a really high quality.

We did get an upgrade when we booked so whoo-hoo...!!!

Only downside was that it is on the outskirts of town (but to put this in perspective, the town is only around two miles across...). This meant a 1/2 mile walk from the square in the evening, which was actually not so bad at all, but we did have to take cabs from the train station on arrival and departure.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Effyc
Reviewed January 16, 2013

It is not common to remember a hotel by the cheese platter offered at their restaurant ... But I cannot forget the cheese feast my father, brother and I enjoyed upon our stay at the Empordá. It may have been 10 years ago, but the memory is still fresh.

About the hotel? It was conveniently situated between Madrid and North Italy which was our final destination...

The rooms were fairly priced and simply decorated. provided us with a good night's sleep and that's all we asked for!

The restaurant was that good, it kept my father purposely stopping by every time travelled from those two places! I trust the standards are the same, in which case do stop by for a bite, just make sure you leave sufficient space for the cheese at the end!!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Francesco G
Reviewed November 18, 2012

A beautiful hotel, with very helpful staff, all who appeared to have been trained in the "old fashioned" hotel style. Most effective and quite delightful. The room was recently decorated, maybe in need of a picture a Salvador Dali type would be good given it's position. The restaurant was lovely, the staff excellent and the food memorable. Even breakfast, which can be a tad boring, had lots of local specialities.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank buffysox
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Old hotel which has seen better days, everything is old but clean, the rooms on the side of the main road are very noisy, in fact 67€ is the right price , use it just for an overnight stop-over on your way to France or to Spain.
The prices of the restaurant are absolutely crazy!! avoid, menu at 61€!! why not 120€?
Few small restaurants <not far away are much better choice.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank SinedVincennes
Reviewed July 9, 2012

I wanted to like this hotel, but it was not what I expected. I booked it because it was a four star hotel and was supposed to have a luxurious bathroom with a "hydro-massage" bathtub. The battub was not well cleaned (black hairs) and the massage function was lousy (cleaned the tub myself first). We live in France and went to Figueres with our five months old baby to have a nice, pampered weekend, and I grudge when I think of how we could have spent that money on something else. The roof in our room had a huge amount of dead insects stuck to it; either small flies or large mosquitos. The beds were clean and the baby cot was OK, but otherwise the room was dusty and worn. Once the maid said she'd changed the towels and I found a towel with my make-up stain (I know my make-up stains) on it, neatly folded ... And why have a huge balcony when there's no furniture there? Are you supposed to just stand straight up and enjoy the view of the highway? Free Internet worked well, the roomservice was good and the food is nice, not too pricey. The staff was quite nice and helpful. The decor is dated and walls are cracked. There are only stairs to the entrance to the hotel, we had to carry our baby up there sitting in the trolley, glad we're not wheelchair users. It's not a bad hotel per se, but I'm annoyed when I think that I chose this hotel just because it was the one with the most stars in Figueres. There's got to be something better there. If you follow the road from the back of the hotel to the centre, it takes about fifteen minutes to walk. A bit dodgy at night, but no one attacked us. A farm or something nearby provided a pungent smell of cow feces. Some of the staff were so nice I almost feel sorry for them working there. We never ate at the restaurant, but the roomservice food was really nice. Didn't match the description on the menu, but really nice. A couple of German and English TV channels. The breakfast was good, but so expensive (13 euros per person) that we just had it once. As we had to carry a kettle anyway for the baby, it was not at all a bad solution to have instant coffee and sandwiches in bed in the morning, although I was constantly afraid that the insects in the ceiling would fall down and land on my face. A good two star hotel, I'd say, but no where near four stars.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family