“Spectacular!”

Dali Theatre-Museum
Ranked #1 of 23 things to do in Figueres
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Instituted in 1974, this museum was built on the remains of the former Figueres Theater, and features a broad range of works of Salvador Dalí (1904-1989.)
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Food available for purchase, Stairs / elevator
Reviewed March 9, 2014

I went to the Salvador Dali museum , with no huge expectations. From the moment you see the pink castle with the golden flies as part of the outside decoration then you realize this is out of this world!!! What a museum! There is nothing in the world like it! I truly recommend it, I spent the whole day staring art work after art work... Dali is a genius

2  Thank Carolais
Write a ReviewReviews (6,084)
All reviews
in 22 reviews
"art lovers"
"on line"

Reviewed March 6, 2014

If you like Dali a real must!!!! For me it was the second time I visitted the museum and I liked it even more as I did the first time, 20 years ago.
Great

1  Thank Angelique B
Reviewed February 27, 2014

This museum was like nothing I've seen before. What interested me was that Dali conceived and designed everything in it allowing the visitor to have a glimpse into his world. I also recall reading on the maps that the museum does not and does not wish to have any logical flow, almost as if its keeping you from leaving. However the map will have a recommended route you may take, so that you do not miss anything out. I visited in January 2014 and there was no queue at ticketing, nor hardly any crowd. There were some French student groups though.

I'm not too familiar with Dali's work but this museum and the art in it blew my mind. Particularly the architecture of the place starting with the courtyard with the bizzare installation and the grand hall, we also saw some of his famous pieces in the museum too. The Palace of the Winds room and Mae West room was very interesting as with the entire layout of the museum. His quirkiness could also be seen in the museum's facade, from the statues with baguettes on their heads, to the giant eggs balanced at the top of the facade to its walls being studded with bread rolls. Dali's crypt is also found in this building in the basement.

Its definitely worth the 2 hour train ride from Barcelona and another 2 hours back. The train ride was very comfortable with toilets onboard although it was pretty pricey, at Eur64 per person for a round trip. The museum is about a 15min walk from the Figueres train station and we used Google maps to guide us there.

The only confusing part for us was changing the trains at Sants station (I boarded at Universitat station), particularly when we are non-Catalan/Spanish speaking. Even the signboards with the train timings didn't make sense to me. Here's what you should do. Once you alight at Sants, take the escalator up and exit the gantry. Right beside it is another gated gantry area which you must enter, this leads you to another train platform for the train to Figueres. We had to ask the information booth staff at both areas in order to finally understand where we should be headed. The Figueres train runs hourly.

3  Thank xxgwennnxx
Reviewed February 26, 2014

If you are an admirer of Salvador Dali, this is the place to go. The museum is just a short walk from the train station. And keep your ticket stubs after touring the main museum, because a short walk down a side street is where the Dali Jewels are displayed.

3  Thank Kevin R
See more reviews
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Got the train from Passeig de Gracia in Barcelona rather than Sants specifically to go to this amazing place. It helps to be a Dali fan, but is not necessary. The architecture of the place is intriguing and I particularly liked the geodesic dome.
The range of his abilities and skill was astounding, from painting and sketches to sculptures and jewellery. Plenty to see, overwhelming really. Some complaints from others about the chaotic layout didn't bother us at all. Just wander and experience and soak it up.

Getting there, some suggestions by others to get a cab from the train station left us in a limbo. I would recommend checking things out a little and if you are reasonably healthy I would walk up. We were there on a Sunday in February, it was quite warm but the town was asleep. No queues to get into the museum. We're pretty sure we were taken on a newbies tour of the town when it was probably a very short trip. We were mislead by another cab driver who took us to the wrong train station (the Rapid station which is on the outskirts of town). We ended up having to walk for about 30 minutes back into town to get to the correct station. A disadvantage of not speaking Spanish and being a stupid tourist. So watch out.
Other than that we had a nice time walking up the hill from the Dali museum to the Castell de Sant Ferran (about 600 or 700 metres) for an amazing view of the surrounding countryside. We didn't go through the fort, although you can for a fee, because we were running out of time.

1  Thank William B