“Brilliant Day out”

Private Tour: World of Salvador Dalí from Barcelona
Ranked #1 of 24 things to do in Figueres
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Instituted in 1974, this museum was built on the remains of the former Figueres Theater, and features a broad range of works of Salvador Dalí (1904-1989.)
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Stairs / elevator, Food available for purchase
Reviewed July 23, 2013

Even if you are not a Dali fan (I am not - husband is) this is a great museum to visit. Lots to see plenty of sitting areas and whilst busy not over crowded. We did have the advantage of a private guide - yes expensive but well worth it - who helped us round and explained lots to us but even without this it would have been great. (Guide came via Viator)

1  Thank christielea

Reviewed July 23, 2013

Dali's Teatro- Museo in Figueres is definitely worth visiting if you have the time when you are in Spain. It is easily accessed by train or bus from southern France or from Barcelona. His works include sculpture, paintings, jewellery and clothing. This can be followed up by a visit to his house in the delightful town of Cadaques, an hour's bus ride or drive away.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

We were planning on going the next morning but when we walked out for for our first look after checking into the Hotel Plaza Inn, there was no line at all. I had read it could be several hours wait so I took it for a sign. It was amazing, bizarrre, and enlightening. We didn't buy the audioguide but I feel like that was fine. You get a definite sense of mise. I didnt see a lot of bored children, either because everything was so engaging. In one room, I stuck a euro into a machine in front of a man built of circuitry and thought it didn't work. Then my boyfriend pointed out that the metal contraption on top was expanding to create a shadowed cross design on the wall behind. The room itself was draped in a heavy gray fabric. A level below, I found a machine that did the same in miniature -perhaps the practice mechanism? It wasn't too crowded; we waited about 10 minutes to get to the lens in the Mar West room but I found it fascinating from every angle. There may have a 1 person wait for some objects, but that was still fine. I also really enjoyed Joies; loved how the studies were adjacent to the actual jewels. I loved that it was looking at Dali's brain but without having explicit placards everywhere.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

If you were in town you would be a fool not to go!

I am not going to spoil the surprises, This is Dali at his best!

Reviewed July 22, 2013

I went into this place with an open mind and have to say that it is the most thought-provoking experience I have had for a long time (actually since the Moscow art galleries in April 2009). It's incredibly popular and busy - the queue meant about a 40 minute wait, but it's worth it. (If you wait until later in the day the queue dies down considerably).We followed the route plan in the simple guide and saw most exhibits. The jewels in the other part of the museum are an absolute must. What a genius to have worked with so many media in such a way... and what a master, eclectic, painter (however much he 'bigged-up' his own image). Self-indulgent or creative genius? Having been through this place I'll come down on the latter!