“Impressive!”

Private Tour: World of Salvador Dalí from Barcelona
Ranked #1 of 21 things to do in Figueres
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Instituted in 1974, this museum was built on the remains of the former Figueres Theater, and features a broad range of works of Salvador Dalí (1904-1989.)
Useful Information: Stairs / elevator, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Hong Kong, China
71 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Impressive!”
Reviewed March 27, 2013

This museum is very different from those I have visited. Dali's art pieces, especially the jewellery pieces he designed! This Museum is worth visiting, no matter you are a fan of Dali or not:)

• Arabic first
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“unusual”
Reviewed March 23, 2013

This place is worth of visiting even if you don't appreciate modern art or Dali. You get a chance to see the world and love trough perspective of one very unique person and fing out and learn something new. Maybe open up your mind a little more...

Visited August 2012
Napa, California
40 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 25 helpful votes
“Unique”
Reviewed March 20, 2013

This Museum Houses a lot of Dali's art and also other artists. It's a very unique place! If you have the opportunity to visit, definitely check it out. It's quite a distance from Barcelona, but they have public transportation that will get you there.
The art is unique and quite interesting.

Visited April 2012
Wellington, New Zealand
70 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 20 helpful votes
“Weird but wonderful”
Reviewed March 16, 2013

We went with a Catalania Tours trip. (Our excellent guide, Geordie, was not allowed in which is standard practice).
The whole museum (With the exception of one floor that has some work by another, inferior, artist) gives a range of experiences with the work of this weird, but incredibly talented, man.
He worked in a full range of mediums - nowadays we would say a multi-media experience.
Probably the best example of this is the Mae West room.
We added to the experience by visiting the Dali jewellery exibition next door.
I reccomend it to anyone with any interest in art - and an open mind.

Wisconsin
48 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 156 helpful votes
“Packed with People But Still Worth a Visit”
Reviewed March 9, 2013

I visited the museum recently, and it was packed with people. I have also been to Dalí's house in Port Lligat. I wish people had to make reservations to enter this site in Figueres in the same way they do in Port Lligat. It is so crowded and hard to enjoy the space. I wanted to go back to revisit some paintings from the beginning of my visit, and I had to fight my way through a group tour in the corridor. They were stopped and listening to their guide, completely blocking traffic. Another thing to consider would be to only allow group tours at certain times of the day. I know this is limiting, but I'd rather pay a bit more money and actually enjoy my time there than deal with a mad rush of people. I cannot imagine what this place is like in the summer time.

Despite the crowds, I think the museum is definitely worth a visit and recommend it to all of my guests. I love how the museum is interactive and displays a great variety of Dalí's work. Be sure to check out the basket of bread painting (my favorite) and read more about Dalí's description of it in the guidebook or online. Stop to appreciate the painting "Enigmatic Elements in a Landscape" which is the most expensive painting the foundation has ever acquired. And definitely save 20 or 30 minutes to visit the jewelry collection which you will find through the entrance on the corner of the building facing Salvador Dalí. The beating heart is creepy and a delight at the same time.

I can appreciate the museum on another level because Dalí actually had a say in the design of the place himself. The building was in ruins after bombing during the Spanish Civil War when Dalí and the mayor worked together to reconstruct the place.

I recommend a visit, but just be prepared for the crowds! If you don't want to purchase a guidebook for the museum, I recommend doing a little research online about some of the paintings in the collection before you go.