“Pleasant Dinner”

Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed September 17, 2013

definitely the best place to go out for a dinner. The food was amazing and the prices are very reasonable. all of this together with very nice and professional waiters made our evening just perfect.

Reviewed April 4, 2013

We stayed at the hotel so decided to have dinner there one night.
The setting is very beautiful in a little courtyard with soft lights and the service was very attentive.
Sadly, we were not impressed but the food and it really failed to deliver the 'creative' and 'traditional' qualities that it promised. The starters were a bit more interesting though not that special: we had the papas arrugadas with a very nice tasty mojo and some very nice meaty grilled mushrooms. The mains were bland and poorly achieved. My fish was tasteless.

The wine selection was very nice and we particularly enjoyed the white wine from the house.

From talking to the staff we got the impression they cater mainly for large tour groups that visit Orotava during the day so the food is rather geared towards mass tourism.
We also found it overpriced compared to other places in the island.

Reviewed April 2, 2013

OK, but not fantastic. Popular with locals and visitors but the Hotel Victoria restaurant, though more expensive, is in a different league.

Reviewed March 7, 2013

We were staying at the hotel here so we ate here four times during the week. I'm not sure we would have discovered it otherwise. There is an unassuming doorway with a menu in, and you go through to the courtyard of an traditional La Orotava balcony house. When it's cool they don't use this courtyard and you have to walk through it to get to the warmer rooms. Having got there we found the staff very helpful and attentive. They don't speak much English so we relied on our limited Spanish and their good communication skills. The food was traditional local cuisine with several fish options. I particularly liked the watercress soup, which contained meat and potatoes, and the fish with onion sauce. My husband enjoyed the chicken and the rabbit. When I chose a soup described as chick peas and meat which turned out to be a traditional Canarian soup made with pasta (which I can't eat) they immediately exchanged it for another soup. However, the meat and fish was overcooked by British standards. I'm sure it was wise to cook things well in a hot country in the days before good refrigeration, but nowdays I prefer my meat and fish less chewy. It was all very tasty though, and the house wine was pleasant. There are plenty of places to eat in La Orotava during the day but not so many in the evening. I think this place is definitely worth a try. If the weather is cool do take a fleece though because it is not heated.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

Food is served in this very old Orotava restaurant outside in a courtyard if the weather is good or inside in two linking rooms if cooler in the evenings. The decor is traditional Spanish style. We enjoyed the guitar music playing in the background. We had a fish grill for two which was served in a simple way with wrinkled potatoes and the taste was superb. Desser was a local speciality called bienmesabe. Worth trying.It is a very casual place with rustic charm where you can enjoy relaxed and rustic dishes. The choice of wines from the local area is reasonably extensive.