“If you're about to holiday here soon or are thinking of booking a holiday here”

Bahia Principe Tenerife
Ranked #26 of 81 Hotels in Adeje
Reviewed August 26, 2013 via mobile

There are four things about this hotel that let it down. However, we holidayed in the middle of August 2013 so perhaps all things considered. Make you're own mind up by reading on

1) Sun beds is the main issue although. There just aren't enough to go around and you need to be up at about between 6:30 and 07:00 am to reserve a pool side bed, you need to stay with your bed until 8:15 otherwise your towels will be removed. Tip, set up a club with other residents whereby you can share the early starts

You can reserve a bed at around 7:30 if you're not fussed at being near the 3 pools. If you miss the beds altogether, ask at reception as they have spares stowed away within the hotel! Alternatively, hover around at 7:45 when un-expecting guests have their towels removed by the hotel

2) Location. You are nowhere near Costa Adeje unless you drive or catch the local bus. The hotel is quite literally in the middle of nowhere, on the sea front. If you want to go out and about then hire a car or catch the local bus - 2 euros each into playa de las Americas or just a little more for Los Christianos; make sure you find the Pizza restaurant called Sa Ma Sa Ma it's opposite the SOS station opposite the pillar on the beach. Also, try the beach cafe located by beach wall and ferry port

3) Beaches. If you like the beaches then this hotel is not for you unless you have transport (Tenerife in general is not great for sandy beaches). However, if you step outside the complex and locate the crazy golf area, turn right and walk along the winding road towards the sea for less than one mile and you'll come across a Spanish beach - El Puertito, made up of rock and shingle (benches too). You'll see many locals camping here; do not be distracted as its lovely. The toilet facilities are poor but there is a food and drink outlet, it's worth a walk down. If you keep walking along the sea front and heading up the hill towards the golf course you'll come to La Caleta which is a lovely beach area built up of rocks and black sand, we drove here and it's worth a trip, there's local bars and eateries

Additionally, make your way through the other adjacent hotel and exit in the far end nearest to the sea on the right hand side, here is a very small beach but make your way back up to the roadside and turn left heading towards the sea front. Keep walking for less than a mile and you'll start to enter the village of Playa Paraiso whereby you'll find another beach. There is a beautiful pool here too but you have to pay to enter it. Another nice Spanish beach is El Poris, you'll need a car to get here; head out beyond the airport and exit at the signs, wind your way down to the sea front keeping left, the bar on the sea front is excellent

4) Evening outdoor tables and chairs around the entertainment are hard to come to by unless you're out early

The food is very good and you'll need to sample yourself as we all have different tastes, its lovely to eat outdoors if you ask the maitre d. The snack bar is very basic and I'd recommend you visit the buffet bar during the day, wear shorts and T shirt but at nighttime men must wear trousers or jeans; flip flops and T shirts are fine

Alcohol Beverages are OK but you'll need to pay for branded names. You'll be served wine by the glass in all areas except the A La Carte restaurants whereby you'll get a bottle. Take care with the help yourself wine in the lobby bars as its not great, however much fresher if you order direct from the bar.

The entertainment is generally OK and the hotel entertainment staff themselves make a real effort to please you

The hotel is kept clean at all times and the staff are generally pleasant in all areas. You'll find fault if you want to

The lift for mountain Teide closes at around 16:00 and costs circa 25 euros each. There are some beautiful viewing points to take in. My recommended route to Teide is head out to Los Gigantes then on to Icod where you'll see the old tree called Drago Milenario, head out from here to Teide. You can return following the signs for Playa De Las Americas or Los Gigantes

I have read previous reviews on the closure of the 2nd pool, I can confirm this was to repair the damaged floor tiles

The best rooms are without doubt at the highest level you can get. The lower rooms are noisy especially in a morning with the sun bed rush! Avoid lift shaft and stairwell rooms

We hired a car for 3 days from the hotel itself, great value. It's only a small island so 3 days is ample

Take care of your possessions as stolen Apple equipment is ripe

The general free bars close around 23:00 to 23:30 but there is a free snack bar in the square serving wine and beer, it's not great but OK especially if you have a 5am pickup

The adjoining Adeje hotel is much busier and you can use the bar areas, snack bar and pools but not the buffet lounge. It's very nice here but very busy. However, we found sun beds easier to come by. The snack bar is OK but seating is hard to come by. The best thing here is all beverage areas are self serve which avoids long queues

Take all the residents out of this hotel and you've got yourself a great holiday. What should I expect for August, it was really busy

The Bahia Principe in Mexico Knocks this place into fits given the costs are similar, however, it's a long haul flight but worth it

I will be looking at other places before I revisit the Bahia Principe Tenerife but we met many who have holidayed here countless times

Hope this helps, feel free to ask any questions

• Stayed: August 2013
7  Thank 201,012
Nélida P, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Bahia Principe Tenerife, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

Dear Client,

Thank you for your time in writing about your recent holiday in the Bahia Principe Tenerife.

We appreciate your positive comments on the entertainment staff, the self-service bars and the main restaurant.

We would like to apologize for those aspects like the sunbed availability and the snack bar that did not suit your expectations.

We hope to welcome you once again at Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Kind regards

Reviewed August 26, 2013

We recently returned having spent 2 weeks at the Bahia Principe Tenerife and had a fantastic time. Yes we did have to get up early for a sun bed. I have never stayed in a hotel where this was not the case. The pool staff do remove unattended towels as many people were placing towels on sunbeds and then not seen for the rest of the morning. The hotel were doing the best they could. We were always able to get a sun bed at 07.30 each morning by the pool although i would not leave it any later. The staff were fantastic and nothing is to much trouble. i never walked passed a member of staff who did not smile and say good morning. The food is great even with the fussiest of children and i had two. The rooms are spotless and cleaned daily. The hotel was busy whilst we were there but again it was the height of the season so this was expected and although it was busy it did not feel overcrowded. We had a fantastic holiday with age ranges in our party from 65 to 6 and this really is a great hotel. Indeed we are already booking to go back next year.

2  Thank 20Js226
Nélida P, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Bahia Principe Tenerife, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Dear Client,

Thank you for sharing your fantastic experience in Bahia Principe Tenerife hotel.

It is great to hear that you have enjoyed our friendly staff, the spotless hotel and the great food. We will pass your comments to the different departments.

We are happy to know that you have witnessed how in the early morning the whole solarium area is covered with sunbeds and parasols. Our swimming-pool staff do their best to avoid the very early bookings before 8:00h by removing all the towels from unattended sunbeds.

Looking forward to seeing you again next year.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts for your summer holidays in Tenerife.

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Stayed from 12th to 23rd August with my Husband , 10 year old son and 6 year old daughter. We only ever stay in 4 or 5 star all inclusive resorts and do not book anywhere before I have done extensive research on Trip Advisor. So based on the amazing reviews I had high hopes.
I have high standards and I know I can be a little fussy but there were just too many things that could have been better, so I cannot recommend this Hotel and will not return for the following reasons.
We were given the impression that the Tenerife was smaller and nicer than the Costa Adeje Hotel, they are sister hotels and the Adeje is much larger with more pools more snack bars, bars with self service etc. and an adult infinity pool, this seemed to be really busy also and you had to be fit to stay there as there are lots of slopes and stairs to climb all around the resort. So I think of the two we did choose the right hotel however…..
1. You have to get up in the dark at 6.30am to reserve a sunbed and parasol and then stay with your bed or your towel will be removed ( this resulted in many slanging matches between guests which was very unpleasant )
2. The beds are all on top of each other and the area is just not big enough around the pool.
3. Only one small toddler pool and then another pool divided by a walk way, one side with a sloping shallow end ideal for non swimmers and the other side quite deep and unsuitable for youngsters so the shallow side is packed and not at all quiet!
4. The one pool/ snack bar has one member of staff that work their socks off to serve hotdogs, burgers, ice creams, slushies, spirits and beer. ( The beer tap we were told used to be self service but this could not be policed as it can in the other hotel ) The beer is served in tiny plastic cups not even a 1/4 of a pint at a time. This results in long queues!!
5. Al acarte Restaurants not worth a visit apart from the Asian and you will be lucky to get a table if you are only staying a week.
6. Cockroaches everywhere in evenings and one morning I had to show a waitress the roach climbing over the bread near the toaster ( luckily she did bin the whole basket immediately )
7. The only entertainment is in the square at the top of the other hotel and there are not enough tables and chairs, you also need to go to the bar of your hotel and pour your drink into a plastic cup and then walk to the square. We ended up not bothering and paying for drinks in the sports bar in the square as we could then get a table and drink out of a glass! And access free wifi as the hotel charge 25 euros a week !
8. The Bar/ lobby has no atmosphere, no music, feels like a waiting room and shuts at 11pm!!!!
In Summary -The staff are lovely and work really hard, Kuba and the animation team were all lovely and the hotel is very clean but the pools are too small, they have to sort the sunbed issue, the lobby bar needs to open longer, the snack/pool bar needs another member of staff one for drinks and one for food. The square set up is completely wrong and full of shops selling lazer pens that then annoy the guests and staff and felt a bit like a fairground. Very expensive ! And guests with small children need to make sure they wear swimmers as every week the pool is shut for a day due to pooh in the pool!!

1  Thank Donna-Marie B

Dear Donna – Marie,

Thank you for the feedback of your recent holidays to Bahia Principe Costa Adeje hotel.

It is nice to hear that our staff and specially the entertainment team made you feel so well in our hotel.

On the other side, we would like to apologise for those other aspects that have not totally satisfied you like the space around the swimming-pools or the service at the snack bar.

In Bahia Principe we are constantly renewing the facilities and the material, as we always want to get the best satisfaction of our guests. We would like to inform you that we have just received some new sunbeds.

Hoping you will give us one more opportunity to serve you at Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Kind regards

Reviewed August 25, 2013

Can't believe how some people seem to blame the hotel for closing the pool for 24hours after a person had soiled in the pool how would they like it if they caught something nasty and ended up in hospital who would they blame ...... Yup the hotel. Also yes it does get extremely busy at the height of the season well there are loads of pools to choose from. I know it's frustrating when the people reserve beds early but when we have visited we have seen security remove towels etc. what annoys me more is when people reserve beds and don't use them at all that day!! As for the food we have never had any complaints and if you do don't wait until you get home to do it tell the hotel when your there especially the head waiter. We have been to this hotel approximately 13 times which just goes to show how good a place it is . We have a severely disabled son and you couldn't wish for a more helpful hotel than this. We are going back on the 6th September for 2 weeks again. I know these sites are for people to air their views and we all have our opinion but please don't be put off by nit pickers ,

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank david m

Dear David,

Thank you for your review about Bahia Principe Tenerife hotel and for being such a regular guest.

It is a pleasure to know that you and your whole family still enjoy the hotel after so many visits.

We also appreciate your understanding and support when having to close the swimming-pool if there is evidence of any accident.

Looking forward to seeing you next week!

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts, your best hotel in Tenerife.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

Stayed here from 9th-23rd August with my husband and 12 year old son. I spend a LONG time each year researching our holiday and based on the reviews for BP Tenerife, we had such high hopes. I cannot tell you how disappointed we were with the reality of this hotel. In fact, we did not meet a single other guest who said they would return again and most conversation was about the crazy sunbed situation. We were in room 15201, a so called junior suite. A noted in my title, I think the overcrowding we experienced was due to it being the height of August and maybe it would be slightly better out of school holidays. Other issues are down to hotel management policy. Apologies for a very long review but it all needs to be said and I wonder if the hotel will respond as they do with other reviewers. Thomas Cook were our providers and despite the aircraft seats being a bit narrow, all flights were prompt and they were very efficient overall – we didn’t use the rep at all so can’t comment.
Let’s start with the positives:
-It’s exceptionally clean and an army of cleaners work non stop. We even saw half a dozen ladies sweeping the car park bays each morning!
-the grounds, rooms and public spaces of the hotel are very well presented and maintained. I really liked the nicely laid tables in the restaurants with proper tablecloths and napkins.
-self service soft drinks dispensers at the pool snack bar – well mixed, fizzy and ice cold.
-the animation team were one of the best we’ve seen; really friendly without being pushy, big thanks to Kuba, Monika and Noellia in particular but all of them were good.
-The room was very spacious but my son only had a sofa bed and it was very noisy when he moved in his sleep.
-Staff in general were very nice.
-Pool bar food was nice.
-Hardly any flies/wasps/mosquitos.
-most brits will appreciate the HP sauce at breakfast (!)

What needs to be improved (this will be a long list I am afraid - bear with me):
-The number one issue with this hotel is that the pool area and the swimming pools are far too small for the maximum occupancy. The only way to remedy to this is to remove some of the planted areas and create more patio space. The pools could do with being made bigger too, but presume that would be impossible to achieve with the layout of the resort.
On check in I was told that the hotel was full. As you have no beach and it is a little remote, most people spend the day at the pool and there simply isn’t enough terrace space for all of the sunbeds that are needed. Parents need to supervise small children in the pool so naturally they need sunbeds on the poolside, not miles away from it, so competition for those is fierce. If you get a bed, you will have ZERO personal space – you are crammed in like sardines so be prepared to be very friendly with your neighbours for the day, and I got countless bruises on my legs trying to get on and off the bed.
Expect to get up at 6.25am and go in the dark to sit on a sunbed to be sure of having some for the day (it doesn’t get light til about 7.30am and around the pool you could see the glow of ipads and phones in the gloom). You have to tie something around parasols as well, otherwise other guests simply take them and move them as there are not enough to go around and they are vital.
On the 3rd day of our stay, my alarm did not go off. When I got to the pool at 7.45am (hardly late) all I could find was 2 beds and no parasol which to my mind proved that the early starts were absolutely necessary. Each day for the last 3 days we were there, we saw a member of staff going around removing unaccompanied towels from beds at about 7.45am, presumably in response to complaints. During my 2 weeks I never went earlier than 6.30am but I definitely saw more people coming out earlier and so all beds were taken by much earlier. I lost count of how many people I saw wandering around at 10am carrying their towels, first looking confused, then looking irritated and frustrated that there was nowhere to sit.
The swimming pool was literally jam packed – we nick named it ‘kid soup’ – obviously due to it being mid August but the noise level was incredible – forget relaxing! On our last day the kids pool was closed for 24 hrs due to poo in the pool – either no swim nappies used or they leaked. Hugely frustrating and although the hotel are playing safe it then became even busier in the remaining pool (which was too deep for non swimmers). I have never come across this phenomenon before but staff told us it happens all the time here.

-I think the most important thing on an all inclusive is food and I especially expected good food here from the rave reviews. Last year we went to Club Magic Life in Egypt and the difference in food quality was immense – Egypt outstripped this place by a mile. The truth about the BP Tenerife.... firstly the buffet: breakfast was the best meal of the day but as with all of the meals, the food was almost cold. If you were lucky you got hot coffee. The staff take the coffee pots off tables and re-use them elsewhere. Saves waste but the coffee was lukewarm unless you were lucky and got a fresh pot. You could have eggs and omelettes cooked to order so they were hot. Sausages tasted ok so I am told, but you could tell they had low meat content and were cheap as cheap can be. The buffet itself is quite small and the menu only changes weekly so it gets repetitive and it’s pretty bland (if you like chicken or veal in peppercorn sauce or panga fish, you will enjoy it). The vegetables and the pasta were overcooked to mush. Salads were ok (hard to get wrong) and so were pizzas but soups were hit and miss. There was no show cooking in the evenings, just a meat of the day that the chef would carve (turkey, chicken, veal and lamb I think we saw in 2 weeks). Most meals were therefore cooked in the kitchen and put out to go cold under inadequate lamps in the dining room. Totally inadequate labelling of foods meant that although there were some nice things on display, you had no clue what they were. Good luck if you have any intolerances or allergies- it would be a complete lottery. I saw so many adults eating pizza and chips which demonstrates that the main offerings were uninspiring and/or bland.
Now the A la Cartes: the only one that is worth a visit is the Asian. That said though, it is the best of a bad bunch and if we had Chinese food like that at home, we’d be disappointed to have spent money on it. The Mexican was passable. The Italian and the Spanish were horrible. Of all places, how could this Spanish restaurant not have good authentic Chorizo? (They used the cheap breakfast sausages or something suspiciously similar). Plus you only get the main course served – for the starters and desserts you are basically getting the same food as in the main buffet anyway. None have air con. Once again the hotel does not cater for the volume of guests. You cannot go to the Chinese or the Mexican more than once and if you stay for a week you may not get booked in at all as they don’t offer enough covers to meet demand and they only open for a limited number of nights per week. The easy way to fix this is to open the restaurants more often to allow more guests to use a facility they have paid for.
-The pool snack bar. One person serving is not enough. The poor staff who worked the snack bar were expected to single handedly pour alcoholic drinks, cook toasties, cook burgers and fetch ice creams, slush puppies and hotdogs, and replenish the jugs of drinks and crisps/nachos/cakes/pizza/rolls that you could help yourself to on the counter. Totally unfair! Naturally there were usually queues. My husband complained to the manager that we should have a self service beer pump - the Costa Adeje have these at all pools – but he was told it was not possible as one staff member could not supervise if children helped themselves. Employ someone else to help then! We also noticed we had an inferior choice of food at the snack bar compared to the Adeje. Because you are given tiny plastic cups, of course you have to get drinks more often.
-Closing the bar at 11pm. Once the entertainment is over (as others noted you go to the Square for the shows), you cannot return to the bar for a nightcap unless you order in/make up lots of drinks. The bar closes and the self service drinks table is cleared away and the lights are turned off (charming), despite the bar and terrace area being full of people. This is a ridiculously early time to close a bar when on holiday – unless they are being considerate of all the people having to get up at the crack of dawn to get a sunbed. When we challenged this early close time at reception, we were told to go to the pay bar in the square if we wanted a full bar (as the AI bar there only includes beer through the night).
-Wi-fi – why any hotel feels the need to charge 25 euros a week for wifi in this day and age is beyond me. We could not access it in our room and it is also not available in the restaurant. It’s a total rip off and should be included in the price paid for the holiday – the same goes for the safe which is an absolute necessity but they charge you for it.
-Cockroaches - the resort need to spray the vegetation as in the evenings the terrace is full of them – kids play with them. Really unpleasant.
Our belief is that this hotel is being run on a shoestring. Management appear to be cutting costs wherever possible by using cheap ingredients and not staffing adequately. One day we returned to our room to find our 2nd key missing from the slot, therefore the air con was off. I made a call to reception and I was told keys were removed by cleaners on ‘manager’s orders’. The only reason for this must be to reduce their power usage. Sorry, but if I have paid for a hotel with air con, I will use it! The key was quickly returned to us. Our solution was to ensure we replaced the key after the room was cleaned each day.
The shame is that this is not a disastrous resort, we were certainly not slumming it and it could easily be fantastic but the items above are big enough that I would never contemplate returning in high season. We have no idea why anyone would go here time and time again when there are far better places! Happy to answer questions.

7  Thank loopy_london_coys

Dear Guest,

Thank you for giving us such a detailed feedback of your recent holidays to Bahia Principe Tenerife hotel.

We are very happy that you have enjoyed our clean and well maintained facilities, the spacious rooms and the nice staff.

We are sorry if other aspects of your stay in our hotel have not been so satisfactory. We apologise for having to close one of the swimming-pools, but we follow a very strict Health & Safety policy to avoid any kind of infections.

We would also like to inform you that we have received the second load of sunbeds and parasols that we are waiting for, so we have plenty of them available at the moment.

We hope you will excuse us for the inconveniences and visit us again in Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Best Regards,
Nélida Palacios de Luis

Reviewed August 23, 2013

Travelled with my husband and two sons aged 18 and 13. This was our first trip to this hotel and I don't think it will be our last. We had a fantastic two weeks staying from 2nd-16th August so height of the season . Our plane out was delayed so did not check in until 3am. The staff on reception were very friendly and efficient and we were given a quick list of facilities and services at the hotel. We had two junior suites next door to each other at the reception end of the hotel which was very quiet.

The food in the buffet restaurants was great with a large choice of dishes for breakfast, lunch and dinner. We had breakfast and dinner on the terrace and lunch inside. Loved having fresh coffee in chrome coffee pots at breakfast, the service was extremely good, all catering staff were very smartly dressed and did not stop, serving drinks and helping guests to their seats etc. freshly cooked pancakes and omelettes to order were fabulous for breakfast! The a la carte restaurants were great, we visited all 5 and went to the Italian twice. Asian, Mexican and Italian were our favourites but all five made a nice change.

Have to agree that the sunbed situation was the only negative. Do not usually follow the crowds and get up extra early for a sunbed when on holiday, but as the hotel is remote and pool time is the order of the day we did get up at 7.15-a few times and grabbed a couple of sunbeds and a parasol. If you got their after 7.30 you could not guarantee a bed or parasol and this was a must as the sun between 12-3.30 was very hot. Some days when we didn't want to get up early, we wandered down to the infinity pool at the costa adeje hotel next door with our towels and just swam and sat on chairs in the snack bar, so we didn't make the sunbed shortage an issue, just worked round it.

We didn't really go in for the evening entertainment so tended to have a drink and sit on the terrace either at the 'Tenerife' or at the 'Costa Adeje' while the kids went and did their own thing, but the square was always full in the evening and guests were in high spirits. My 18 year old son played football whenever the activity was on and the Bahia Prinicpe song was sang every morning at 10.30 and then music would play round the pool area which was nice. You could help yourself to nachos, crisps, olives, biscuits, rolls, hot drinks and soft drinks at the snack bar and you had to queue for toasted sandwiches/burgers hotdogs and beer etc.

The hotel was spotlessly clean, the rooms were cleaned and mini bar replenished everyday. The shower in the bathroom was great, kept it's temperature and you could set it to massage mode (a bit too powerful if you have a touch of sunburn). We used to set the air conditioning on 2 and turn on the ceiling fan at night and together they helped create a good temperature for a good night sleep without too much noise.

All in all we had a fantastic holiday. We would have stayed another week if we could have. I do not understand why some people have given bad reviews, I believe we had value for money, this holiday worked out cheaper than other hotels we have been to but this hotel was far superior to them - saving up now for a return trip next year!!!!

1  Thank pepdog
Nélida P, Director de Relaciones Públicas at Bahia Principe Tenerife, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for publishing a review about your excellent holidays in the Bahia Principe Tenerife hotel on Tripadvisor.

We are happy to hear that you and your family had a fantastic two weeks holiday be-cause of the friendly staff and the great food both in the main restaurant and the five specialty restaurants.

Looking forward to welcoming you again.

Family holidays with Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Do not pay attention to the negatives.
This is a great hotel. The staff are all very friendly and very helpful and the facilities are good with great pools.
There are many nationalities at the hotel so if you want Brits abroad go somewhere else.
The hotel food is really good and varied as again they are catering for multi nationalities and there are 6 other restaurants you can book if you fancy a change.
It's a pretty resort with everything you need in the complex and if you want to you can use the other hotels facilities... We didn't as we preferred our hotel to the larger one.

• Stayed: August 2013

Dear Client,

We would like to thank you for having chosen for the second time Bahia Principe Tenerife hotel to spend your holidays.

It is great to hear that you have enjoyed the friendly staff, the quality and variety of the food and the great pools.

Hoping to welcome you many more times.

Bahia Principe Hotels & Resorts for your summer holidays in Tenerife.

Bahia Principe Tenerife Resort

Also consider these accommodations in or near Adeje
H10 Costa Adeje Palace
#14 of 60 in Costa Adeje
Bahia Principe San Felipe
Bahia Principe San Felipe
#6 of 82 in Puerto de la Cruz

Been to Bahia Principe Tenerife? Share your experiences!