“Don't Believe All of the Haters!”
Review of Restaurante Souk

Restaurante Souk
Ranked #48 of 261 Restaurants in Tarifa
Cuisines: Moroccan
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Miami Beach, Florida
“Don't Believe All of the Haters!”
Reviewed July 31, 2011

After reading several reviews on TripAdvisor.com, my family and I were weary of trying Souk, but we decided to try it anyway. We went on a Saturday night, and it was crowded, but not too crazy. The waiter was friendly but very busy, having to tend to a whole floor of tables by himself. He was pretty expedient with our drinks and starters. We ordered the Mezze mixto and the Chicken and Cous-cous. Phenomenal! We ate every bite! We also got the cous-cous chicken soup for my daughter. Delicious but slightly oily. Perfect for dipping in their yummy pita bread. We did have to ask our waiter several times for items, but each time he would return quickly as per our requests. I was honestly impressed by the restaurant, the food and staff. The thing about Tarifa restaurants (having lived here for the summer) is that wait staff is always temporary, so you may get a great waiter or a terrible one. They are very transient. Had a great experience and would highly recommend it as a place to try when in Tarifa.

• Visited July 2011

London
“Disappointing meal and service - not good value”
Reviewed June 25, 2011

We had been recommended the Souk by the owner of the guest house where we stayed and so booked it for a special meal for our last night in Tarifa.
We had a warm welcome from the owner who took us to the restaurant downstairs, explained the menu and made some suggestions. Unfortunately this was the most positive element of our evening.

We didn’t see the owner again (she was serving in the bar area upstairs) and were left in the hands of her colleague who had little or no customer service skills. The wine (described as Moroccan on the menu but was actually Tunisian) was ok. I had lamb tagine at 17 euros, my companion had the meatball tagine at slightly less. The tagines were both quite tasty and well spiced, however the lamb used was very fatty and boney. Not having had a tagine before maybe this is how it is meant to be – but at 17 euros it was the most expensive dish I had in Tarifa and was not good value.

We decided against dessert and asked for the bill. There were no more than 3 other tables occupied. After 10 minutes we tried unsuccessfully to gain the attention of the waitress who was occupied with sorting out the people at the next table who had been served the wrong food. Even though she was no further than 3 feet away she did not acknowledge us or make eye contact. She then continued lighting candles at other tables and clearly was in no rush to prepare our bill. Eventually I walked up to the bar and said that we were still waiting for the bill which she then prepared. Needless to say we did not leave a tip.

All in all a very disappointing evening and we would not recommend it nor return.

• Visited June 2011
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Other reviewers went to different restaurant!”
Reviewed April 17, 2011

Staff are very welcoming, was my son Birthday & they bought him out a lovely cake with a candle that made him feel very special. Food is tasty & generous, a lot of care goes into making it authentic & rustic.

The upstairs is a nice Moroccan style bar area with music. The restaurant downstairs feels like you have just walked in from a day in the Casbah, thoroughly recommended!

1 Thank Ayecuramba
Musician on the Road!
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“The worst Restaurante I've Ever Been To!”
Reviewed September 6, 2008

I was really looking forward to tasting some Authentic Morocan cuisine! However it turned out to be an expensive/tasteless nightmare! The guys upstairs were nice enough, yet when we got downstairs we couldn't smoke! This posed a problem as one of us is physically challenged and after having to leave the wheel chair upstairs it was impossible to for her to take a ciggarrette whilst waiting the incredibley long amount of time it took for the megre offerings to slapped onto our table. The menu was limited, the portions tiny, the food tasteless & the staff rude & unco-operative. AND not a single Morocan in the kitchen or serving! This is a typical venue for the wanna-be's, Middle Class Oiks and would-be-hippies with more cash than taste-buds and think it's cool for the waitress to scoul and ignore you! I'm no fan of "Mcfastfood" but wish I'd gone for a burger instead! To be fair the Ketchup was nice! I feel cheated I DO-NOT RECOMEND THIS GLORIFIED SNACK BAR!

1 Thank Jonny-Hellraizer