Meson de Sancho
  • Restaurant
  • Bar/Lounge
  • Beachfront
View Hotel
All reviewsboth sidesbusy roadthe main roadisolated locationgreat discoveryoutdoor poolshort drivein house restauranthotel staffnice terracepaellared winetarifa townbalconymaisonunderpassmorocco
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 31, 2012

Really enjoyed my break here last year for my birthday. Its plain and simple but has a nice charm to it, the restaurant was good (if a little erratic with opening times), the pool was nice, the rooms were clean. All round a lovely place for a quick break in the summer

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JacksonFernandes
Reviewed November 23, 2011

We had a short stay of two days at the Meson de Sancho, it was a great experience and I would not hesitate to stay again should I find myself in that area .We had a very nice room, large and clean with a balcony that overlooked a valley of lush green trees. To the front of us was a large swimming pool, unfourtunately it was to cold to swim in but we were able to sit for a while in the sun on the loungers provided. The public areas of the hotel were nicely furnished and well kept. The lobby was rustic looking, warm and welcoming, with an outdoor area with tables for enjoying a drink. The staff were pleasant and helpful. Our only complaint was with one of the restaurant staff. We went to pay our bill for breakfast with our Canadian credit card, specifically requesting to pay in Euros, when the receipt was given to us it was in C. dollars, the hotel having added a large exchange rate. We requested to have it in Euros, she said it couldn't be done but at my husbands insistance it was corrected. We found this same problem in other areas of Spain as well....it seems to be another way of making money off the backs of the tourist! Other than this one problem we had no complaints and were otherwise very happy with our stay.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank Tullahlula
Reviewed September 23, 2011

We stayed for 6 days, visiting Tarifa for September bird migration. The hotel is well situated for this, and has balcony views toward Africa, and gardens and hills near to the hotel. Bird watching from your room! despite the situation on the main road, and variably accessible parking, the hotel was quiet enough, and the rooms comfortable. The service was helpful, although their English was limited. The breakfast was limited but adequate, the menu for evening meals was reasonable but not gourmet.
The outdoor pool was cool to the point of bracing. In all though we very much enjoyed our stay, though, and felt that this was an excellent base for our stay.

Room Tip: First floor balcony roms have excellent views.
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed August 16, 2011

I knew immediately when we pulled up to the hotel that we made a mistake by booking here. The hotel sits on two sides of a very busy (and dangerous) freeway. I had booked our room through hotels.com, but the front desk said they didn't have my reservation. I showed them my confirmation, and they said they only had 1 room left for the night (room 302). We took it, and they gave us a receipt for the booking.com price of 96.23 EUR. When we went to the room (opposite side of the freeway than the main part of the hotel), we noticed that the A/C was not working, and it was hot (30 degrees C = 86 F) inside the room. We left the A/C on for a few hours, and the temp inside the room did not budge. We also noticed that the advertised high season rate posted inside the room was only 77 EUR. We complained about the A/C and the room rate. After some haggling, they eventually agreed to the 77 EUR room rate. They sent someone to look at the A/C, and at first he claimed that it was working fine, but then conceded that it was broken ("no acceptable"), but that there were no other rooms available. We decided to stay, since we had plans to take the ferry to Tangier early in the morning, and we couldn't find any other rooms available in Tarifa online. We tried opening the windows and door of the room to cool it off (since it was cooler outside than inside the room), but when we went to bed we had to close the door, and since the windows are only on one side of the room, there was no cross-ventilation. We tried to sleep, but the room was very hot (still 86F), and the road noise was loud. We called the front desk, and they sent someone who didn't speak English to help us. He also tried to tell us that the A/C was fine, but we kept trying to explain that it was broken, and we needed a fan or something. After a very frustrating episode, he eventually brought us a fan. I still could not sleep because I was too hot (I'm pregnant, and have difficulty regulating my body temp). In the morning, we checked out as soon as we could, and I noticed a cockroach scooting across the floor as I packed by bag. The room in general was fairly clean, except long dark hairs on the floor.

One other experience we had there that was odd was in the restaurant. We had a meal at the restaurant, and I am gluten and dairy intolerant. I asked the server what foods do not contain gluten or dairy, and she said she would check with the chef. When she returned, she said that they refused to say what was in the food, because they had had a bad experience with another gluten intolerant guest who apparently got sick from the food, even though they said it was ok. I ended up getting a nice piece of plain grilled fish and vegetables, which worked perfect, but was put off by the whole strangeness of their attitude - something I have never come across in all my trials of eating with food restrictions.

In general, my impression of the hotel was similar to that of a dirty, overpriced, Motel 6, with staff members who speak very limited English, and are irritated by non-Spanish speaking guests.

Room Tip: Make sure the A/C works.
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
5  Thank ELaird
Reviewed July 23, 2011

I had a very pleasant 12 night stay in June whilst I was Kitesurfing and Windsurfing in Tarifa.

My room was very well decorated, with a double bed and a large polished sandstone tiled bathroom and a balcony with views to Morocco.

The hotel is newly decorated in a modern spanish style, with lot's of little rooms, lounges and hideaways where you can go and read, drink wine/coffee and use your computer (free wifi is available throughout the hotel).

This could easily be a 4* hotel if they can sort out the soundproofing between rooms - which wasn't bad, but maybe I notice these things as I usually stay in well noise proofed 4*+ / 5* hotels when I travel. (i was alone this time so couldn't justify the cost!)

It takes about 15 mins to drive into Tarifa, and having experienced what a party town it is - from midnight onwards.. I think I made the right choice to stay somewhere quieter.

I would definitely stay again, and may well bring my boyfriend next time... Tarifa is very beautiful.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo