“Good meal, nice setting on upstairs terrace.”
Review of California - CLOSED

California
Cuisines: Italian, Mediterranean
Good for: Special occasions, Families with children, Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Italian cuisine restaurant
Reviewed August 7, 2013

Been here twice now this holiday and both times were very good. Seated upstairs on the roof terrace which was very pleasant. Excellent service both times. Lovely meals with lots of choice. Thoroughly enjoyable meals.

There are newer reviews for California

Reviewed July 3, 2013

This restaurant looked nice from the outside with a lovely terrace at the back of the restaurant. It was pretty busy when we arrived so we got a table just inside the door. The staff seemed a bit scattered due to the restaurant being busy so service was slow to start. Our meal started off well and starters were excellent. I had baked camembert, my husband had piri piri prawns and my son had chicken wings. However we were all disapointed with our mains. I had asked for medium steak but it was overdone on one side and rare on the other. The manager seemed to be the only one in control but in doing this was shouting at the waiters in front of the customers. Would not return here.

Reviewed June 25, 2013

My husband and I went to this restaurant on the evening of the San Isidro festival in May. We weren’t expecting many places to be open but in the main town there were a few to choose from, this has been recommended to us by a family member so we were pleased it was one of those open!

We were seated quickly and the waiter even shut the glass doors to the terrace for us as the wind had picked up and it was slightly breezy. We could see straight away that they were immensely busy. With the festival going on they were short staffed and you could see the only 2 waiters rushing between the 2 floors to serve everyone meals and drinks. We understood this and I’ve spent more time waiting in restaurants with full staff and few customers in the past; so when a couple complained about the wait and the wine etc we couldn’t see the problem. A German family were also complaining and being difficult, I felt sorry for the waiters who were already so rushed off their feet they didn’t need people complaining about petty things, I’d be embarrassed to complain about the things they were! I think they did an excellent job, it looked like the chef was also involved and the manageress or owner also came out to clear plates etc. But not once did they look agitated, they stayed polite and smiled. They did a spot on job and should be really proud for coping though this busy time, let alone missing out on one of their festivals! People should be grateful they stayed open for the tourists as so many others were shut for the evening.

As for the food, it was DIVINE – the prawns pil pil was amazing and the pasta I had was delish but I just couldn’t eat it all! (luckily the husband finished it off) We had bread to nibble during our wait but didn’t need it as our starters both came with bread – should have read that first but that was our own faults. When we go back we will definitely eat in here again. The food is great and the staff welcoming and friendly.

When it came to leave I mentioned how busy they were and that it must have been the festival, we thanked them for a lovely meal, got a kiss on the cheek and handshakes and then we were offered some lemoncello! A bit of patience, courtesy and politeness from customers goes a long way. Their service was good and I bet its excellent when fully staffed.

Definitely a place to try if you are in Nerja and have patience. Seriously is not that bad that you have to write a bad review while still on holiday!

Reviewed June 21, 2013 via mobile

We visited this restaurant tonight ehich on appearance looks lovely. We fancied sitting on the terrace but were advised that it was closed so was seated out the front instead. That's ok as we like to people watch.
So, we ordered our drinks and waited around 15 mins for them to arrive. Another 50mins later my spaghetti and meatballs arrives.it was ok if you like heinz spaghetti and tinned meatballs. Around 15 mins later everyone else's arrived when mine was almost cold (I like to wait and eat together). Noone came to ask if our meal was ok or if we required drinks etc. After our meal we had to go and find a waiter for our bill. €63 for a spaghetti and meatballs, a calzone, chicken curry, steak and garluc bread for 4. Also 2 beers, a coke and a wine. Average and nothing really to rave about. I probably won't visit here again as there are so many other gems to visit.

Reviewed June 20, 2013 via mobile

We ate here last night and on first impressions the restauranat and terrace appears quite nice .We were seated and ordered drinks and our food and waited ... and waited ... and waited ... the starter eventually arrived which to be fair was quite nice -prawns and filet pastry in leek sauce - then we waited ... my main arrived ... but my wife's didn't and showed no signs of being brought until we asked what was happening and it was then miraculously produced ! mains were ok - empire state burger and swordfish -we didn't hang around for dessert as it was getting late ...