“You get what you pay for”

Mediterraneo Apartments
Ranked #32 of 37 Hotels in Nerja
Reviewed November 16, 2010

I stayed at the Mediterraneo Apartments with my partner and another couple, we are all 20 or 21 and although we wanted a bit of nightlife as we were there as couples, were not looking for a major clubbing experience!
The apartments themselves are conviniently placed, right near the beaches, with a corner shop 1 minute walk away, and a supermarket about 10 minutes away. There are also good number of resturants around, and it's not far at all to the nearest square which is quite lively at night. There were the odd bars, our favourite being the Malibu on the way to the main square, but it wasn't the liveliest of places. It was easy though to have a good meal and a drink with very little money, it was only 20 euro for four of us to have a full english in the resturants set back from the beach, this included two beers.
Because we were on a budget we were hoping to have drinks at the apartments some nights. Although this was ok untill midnight, anytime after that we were told to be quiet after laughing or generally having too heated a conversation. This might be ok if you like an early night on holiday, but it got quite tedious for us. The staff in general to be honest were not particularly helpful and could speak very little english hence the one point for service, I don't think we actually recieved any at all!
My partner and I were lucky in that we had one of the biggest apartments in the hotel, as we could see from the fire escape map. Our friends, however, were not so lucky and to be honest, i think you would really struggle to cook a meal in the kitchen they were provided with. It would serve you well if you only intended to eat out in the evening and just wanted a fridge to store breakfast in. The cleanliness was my bggest issue. I couldn't say it was filthy but there was a general grubiness, and some of the fixtures were broken. I don't think our friends was as bad but it defnately wasn't ideal.
I also feel i need to add something about the pool, it was more of a pond and it didn't get any sunlight after about midday. Also the staff had a habit of hanging around at the tables outside which would put me off swimming there personally. It didn't prove a problem for us because we went to the beach everyday but if you were going there thinking of laying around a pool during the day it just wouldn't work.
Despite the negatives we still had a good holiday because the only thing we were concerned with was the location, which was great. It serves well as somewhere to sleep and at the prices we paid that is all that can be expected. I don't, however, feel I could reccomend it because there were so many areas that weren't up to scratch.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Esme T
There are newer reviews for Mediterraneo Apartments

Reviewed October 10, 2010

We decide to stay here for a month as we were travelling through Europe and need a base while we toured Spain. We arrived at 2.00am in the morning and was greeted by the night porter. Very sweet man. Our room was self catering. It was perfect for what we needed. The only thing I can critisize is the fact they change your towels every 3 days. And our check day was on Sunday and were had to leave our room at 10.00am and the hotel had nowhere for us to put our bags. And considering our flight was at 23.50 we were left with a big problem what to do for the remaining 12 hours before we made our way to the airport. And with 40kg of luggage, it ain't good. Nobody offered to keep our luggae in a vacant room. It was the kind people at "THE COD FATHER" restaurant just a few doors away from from the hotel that allowed us to leave our bags with them while we when for a last walk around nerja. Other than that, it was ok for the money just what traveller need

• Stayed: September 2010
1  Thank yard-abroad
Reviewed August 3, 2010

I am a big fan of Nerja. I have visited more times than I can remember and have always stayed in villas or apartments with my (now ex) wife. The old divorce has seriously hit me financially. I saved up some pennies and got myself a cheap flight to Malaga and found these apartments as they were the cheapest on offer (and I mean really cheap) on t'internet. On reading the reviews, I had a mental impression of how the place would shape up and I was not far wrong. On arrival, got upgraded to a one bed apartment without balcony. It was basic as expected but really clean. I accept the kitchen could do with a revamp, the bathroom was functional rather than stylish and furniture was basic BUT taking into account what I paid, the location, the clean sheetsand towels, loads of hot water and the helpful staff at reception, it was brilliant. We checked out in the morning but they allowed us to use their shower after a day on the beach for our late (but cheap) flight home. I am just waiting for another cheap flight promotion and I am going back later in the year for a week.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ro88ok
Reviewed April 9, 2010

We were booked in at the apartments for 7 nights but decamped to Granada and then Malaga half way through for a break.(!?)

We did enjoy experiencing Semana Santa in Nerja and were surprised how traditionally Andalucian the celebrations were, considering how many other Europeans have adopted the place as their own.The lament of the flamenco singer directed at the candlelit statue of Christ on the cross held aloft by thirty youths was particularly memorable.

The walks around the town were really enjoyable..the whole place was blooming after a the winter rain.Spring is an ideal time to see Southern Spain.The mountains were still snowcapped but the sun was warm.

Generally the apartments were a bit unloved which was a shame.I think the orange nylon bedspreads said it all really.The walls were thin, so take your earplugs!

The staff were pleasant but in short supply,hence the rather grubby feel to both the apartments and the public areas.By far the worst place is the extravagantly titled 'solarium' on the top floor.This is no more than a scruffy backyard littered with pots of paint and discarded mattresses.The swimming pool looked distinctly uninviting even to an unenthusiatic swimmer like me.

Its saving grace is its convenient position with both the beach and town centre nearby.If travelling by car be prepared to park some distance away as parking spaces are at a premium.(The apartments do have underground parking but is expensive at 12 euros per day.)

Eating out in Nerja is neither for the budding gastronome or anyone on a tight budget for that matter...a trip to the local Lidl to buy some of their excellent Iberian ham and locally grown fruit and veg was far more satisfying.Working out how to cook your ingredients with the very limited utensils at the apartments was a challenge ..but great practice if you are working for your extreme cookery badge for guides or scouts!

All in all, these apartments are ok if you book one with a front facing balcony at a quiet time of year at a bargain price .Don't expect too much ..it's a bit like camping really!!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
5  Thank LleucuLlwyd
Reviewed February 5, 2010

Nerja is built on a hillside and the hotel is at the bottom of the hill, a few minutes walk from the beach. The apartments are not for wheelchair users and others must be able to walk up 6 steps. There are two mini-marts a minute’s walk away and a number of eateries just a little further. The hotel has 3 floors and a lift. Rooms are a reasonable size but I and others found you cannot change rooms once you are in them. This despite many people only staying a day or two, so always the chance to change.

Two fairly comfortable beds, bathroom with toilet, a limited kitchen in a fairly basic room. Some rooms have a balcony and all but a few rooms look into other rooms, with studios having a view of stairs. There is air conditioning for summer. Maid service is twice a week with clean towels and sheets. You get one roll of toilet paper at the beginning of your stay, nothing more. Besides Spanish channels, room TV has CNN (most boring channel ever) and Eurosport. There is a TV room downstairs with free to air British channels but only one remote control. You take your rubbish to bins outside the apartments. Pool is about 6m by 7m and upto 2m deep and too cold to use except in mid-summer.

What I didn’t like: Walls are thin. Floors are tiled which if you have non-rubber shoes mean noisy and sometimes slippery. Door to balcony has inside catch which means it is possible to absent-mindedly lock yourself on the balcony which happened to one sleepyhead this morning. An open electric socket within a foot of the wash basin. I hope you like getting up by 8am. Sometimes, two cleaners talk to each other at full volume and will make sure you do not sleep in. Greatest annoyance was the energy saving light bulbs everywhere which made rooms and corridors look dingy and dull.

Photos used by lowcostholidays were of nearby plush Monica Hotel. Not Mediterraneo.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank kaneda
Reviewed January 2, 2010

Just come back after a 10 night stay over the xmas and new year period. Unfortunatley the weather was poor (worst rain recorded...lol) But the hotel was ok. Fridge is loud and at the bottom of the bed but you get used to it. Could do with a good clean out and a lick of paint but it was pleasant and I would return for short break. The local bars and eating places are all in a short walking distance, I can recommend the Codfather, The Basque (esp if your a Sheff Utd fan) and Maxwells. DONT go for a Mexican in the town. That was the worst part of my holiday. £50 for a meal which looked liked it had just been defrosted from the asda value range, and tasted like it. The town is a little expensive due to the Pound being as weak as it is.

The hotel was spoiled by a really annoying (Mrs Angry) woman in the next apartment who really enjoyed shouting and banging if you made the slightest noise when you came in. But really enjoyed walking round in her heels on a tile floor whilst we were sleeping and shouting on her phone. NOISE travels both ways THE WALLS ARE THIN.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank roly3376
Reviewed November 15, 2009

We have stayed here three times over the past few years, and while I agree that it's not the best hotel, it sure ain't the worst! In fairness, it is really way overdue for a major refit, as the rooms are now all looking a bit grubby and tired.
However, if you're looking for a blinding deal on somewhere cheap and close to all amenities, this has got to be first choice. We last stayed in March2009 and our 22 night stay cost a little over £300 for the entire time. The apt we had was not brilliant, and certainly no good for proper self catering as the cooking facilities are basic, to say the least, but on the upside, we saved so much money on accomodation that we were able to eat out most of the time anyway. The bedlinen and towels were clean and changed weekly, and the staff are generally very friendly and helpful. We didn't find it any noisier than many other places we've stayed at. The best thing is that it is very conveniently located for almost everything! Small supermarket less than 1 minute away, beaches about two mins walk, and centre of town about 7/8 minutes away, plus lots of bars, restaurants etc within yards of the door.
All in all, not as bad as some of these reviews make out -- and definitely a good option if you're on a tight budget. After all, you're on holiday - surely it's just somewhere to have a cup of tea and sleep at night? Almost forgot -- parking around here is quite good compared to most of the town!

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled as a couple