“Not the best, not the worst”
Review of Nerja Club

Nerja Club
Ranked #13 of 37 Hotels in Nerja
Reviewed April 8, 2013

Just returned April 7th, I agree with previous appraisals - the Nerja Club is a basic 2 star hotel.
I am pleased we got it as a last minute half board cheapie, because if I had paid more I would have asked for a refund.
On arrival my partner spotted a gentlemen sat on his balcony, and pointed out our mantlepiece was bigger. He was sat on a white patio chair facing another chair opposite with his knees touching it. Never mind, a kindly looking man checked us in and was eager to get us to our room.
However, on arriving at our room 329 which had tired looking bright green basic furniture, and twin beds so hard they were not comfortable, our balcony boasted its own water feature with a constant drip from overflow of the guttering above, which meant we had a constant dripping cold splash of water if you sat in the right hand side chair. The balcony handrails paint had peeled off and was badly rusting where this had been happening for quite some time.
The room was cleaned daily, and this aspect was excellent, give those girls a bit of bonus.
Over the next few days it became apparant, do not book in if you require tranquility, peace and quite.
Dogs barking, collared doves hooting, the swimming pool pump constantly "bloop bloop, blooping", people shouting, walls paper thin I quite often heard full conversations in english and german, snoring and flatulance, flushing of loo's, doors banging, air conditioning units rattling, motorbikes and cars racing around the back of the hotel, and the "piece de resistance" the bin men arriving at 12 midnight to empty the bins and collect the recycling with flashing beacons, banging bins and the melodious sound of bottles smashing for 15 minutes.
To move on to food and drink - well, food was very basic at breakfast, eggs sunniside up floating on oil, usual queues for tea, coffee and toaster. However, massive thankyou for catering staff opening on day of departure early.
The evening meal was a disaster. The tea and coffee machine was turned off and the soup was the same every night without fail, it came in different colours, but tasted and looked exactly the same.
The salad / dinner vegetables were the same/similar every night, with a variation of fish or two different types of meats.The sweets followed the same agenda as the soup and dinner. There was very little fruit and no cheeseboard . No coffee and mints.
The drinks menu started with a small bottle of aqua minerale at 1 euro 60 cents a bottle. My partner and I ordered a whisky and lemonade each and were presented with a bill for 12 euros. The supermercado opposite the hotel sold a litre bottle of whisky for 10 euros 99 cents.
Our interactions with staff were polite and efficient, never friendly, but they understood our language and helped as best they could.
It was very hilly and off the beaten track, but taking it all very slowly we managed.
We never managed to get our complimentary 2 goes in the spa, which is why I booked the hotel in the first place. Just to mention here you are not allowed to go in without purchase of their shower caps and slippers.
Going during the easter holidays the pool was fully occupied by younger people when I wished to use it, understandable really.
All in all, as stated in the title above, not the best, ot the worst.
I would not recommend and I would not return.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Gillian W

Reviewed April 8, 2013

The hotel is a small distance from the centre of Nerja, maybe too far if you were frail or infirm, we walked into and from Nerja every day, no big deal, you would think it half way up a mountain when reading some revues. The hotel staff were very helpful and friendly, the place and facilities up to scratch although we didn't venture into the outdoor pool, given it was March .It soon became apparent that people returned here year on year as guests reaquainted themselves as each new batch of visitors arrived. We were half board and its difficult to know how they do it for the price we paid, breakfast was the usual cooked or cold meats and cheese. We really enjoyed the evening meals where food was cooked to a more Spanish style, plenty of choice and a good salad bar if that is your preference. They had a good scheme for drinks, where you found your table, a waiter sorted your drinks and you either signed for it to go on your bill or paid on the night. The deserts were a bit of a let down, with cakes, jelly and ice cream on offer so we gave them a miss. There were half price drinks in the bar each night in "happy hour". There was entertainment every night, some not bad and some very good but we would have preferred if it had been every other night. A really nice, inexpensive hotel !!

Reviewed April 8, 2013

Wasn't sure what to expect as so many mixed reviews on here. We had room 243 which had not been refurbished. It was a pretty distasteful green and had a horrible damp smell. We had arrived late at night and it was noisy as our room was very close to the entertainment. Staff were extremely kind and helpful and turned the music down, shut some double doors and offered to move us to another room in the morning. The room was spacious and kept clean it was unfortunate about the damp smell which we believe was due to a damp problem from the bathroom which possible had a leaky pipe or something as the smell continued into the wardrobe in the bedroom area which was on the adjoining wall. The beds were very comfortable and there was plenty of space to hang clothes, drawer space etc. the tv was a small old portable which had a few English channels including music channels and itv. Each room has a small balcony which is lovely to sit out onto after one of the beautiful walks in the area. We decided not to move rooms as had heard the refurbished ones could be smaller. We loved nerja and the nearby frigiliana. The town was about 20 minutes walk and was full of lovely interesting shops including leather goods, clothing, gifts etc. we also went to the Sunday boot sale, nerja caves and nerja donkey sanctuary all which were worth a visit. Lots of people have commented on the food in the hotel. This is a budget holiday and we found the choice and value for money excellent. There was always a vast array of salad, pasta and rice dishes as well as, pork, fish, chicken and beef cooked in a variety of ways each day. I had calamari, dog fish, fish paella etc It was a self service restaurant which suited us well as I tried a variety of foods that I would not choose at a restaurant. Many days I would have a spoonful of each to try ha ha. Puddings were generally brightly coloured sponges and a choices of jelly and ice creams, fresh fruit, tinned fruit, etc. There was probably about 14 things to choose each day which may be why I seemed to have put on half a stone. Waiter service for drinks in the restaurant were average prices and what you would expect to pay in UK. The entertainment was pretty good each night although we loved the area so much we tended to crash out in our room early after walking a lot. The outdoor pool was chilly at this time of year but looked good although no one actually went in. Save that for the summer I think. Plenty of loungers, good bar, lounge area with large sky tv. Would recommend to others. Good value for money.
Breakfast had a huge selection of full cooked, fruits and cereals, and continental.. Everything you could think of was there.
Downside. Would have liked tea and coffee facilities in room. Knew hadn't got so took kettle, etc with us. Apparently this is not uncommon on the continent but I do like a cuppa in my room.

Room Tip: Ask for a quiet room if don't want to be near entertainment or near restaurant. Don't be shy...
Reviewed April 7, 2013

I have read some of the other reviews on this hotel and I can only think that some people have expectations beyond their budget or have not read the description of the hotel.
I went there March into April with Thomsons. It was not very expensive and i can say that it matched my expectations. Not brilliant, but not terrible either.
I had a room overlooking the tennis club opposite. I found out that there are larger rooms available and if you want one you should ask for 205 206 305 or 306. My room was quite small and the bed was brick hard- the pillows too were awful.The room was clean and quite bright though.
The hotel is quite a bit out of the town but this is stated on their website, and there is always Google maps.t took about 20 minutes on foot to reach the old town.
The pool area was clean and thankfully free of tacky music or over enthusiastic games leaders.
The food was at best average and quite often below this standard. I would have hoped for some more spanish food or some decent orange juice at breakfast. The kia ora dispensed from the machine is awful. The food was very repetitive and uninspiring.
Drinks at the hotel are a bit dearer than local bars but are still decently priced. The service at the bar is quite poor as often there is only one very hard working barman on duty.

As said in the title you get what you pay for.I have been in far better places but have also paid a whole lot more. Nerja itself is fantastic and retains authentic spanish charm. Most bars are frequented by locals and tourists meaning that prices are pitched for the locals.

I would go back to Nerja but would look for an apartment or pay extra for a better situated hotel with better standards.

Room Tip: ask for a room above the spa centre
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelNerjaClub, Community Manager at Nerja Club, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear costumer,
Thanks for sharing your opinion, which helps us improve. We regret that you could not enjoy the food at our hotel that offers a variety of dishes to suit all tastes. We take note of your suggestions on the comfort of the beds. We hope you will give another opportunity to Nerja Club the next time you visit Nerja.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

I felt the need to give a review of this fantastic friendly hotel after reading the last
review, i think that some people just like to complain, it obviously makes them feel
superior.
My husband and i stayed here for 1 month february to march this year, we were actually
booked fo a 2 week stay, but extended it to a month, yes it is that good!!! staff work very
hard keeping the rooms and corridors clean, always greeting you with a smile.
ALL staff go out of their way to help you anyway they can, the lady receptionist was a
credit to the hotel, maybe if the previous person/persons (beckyboo85) had the
attitude of treating people as they wish to be treat themselves, they would get a lot more
out of people.

The restaurant serves excellent food, plenty of choice, well cooked, with staff that take pride
in their work.

We have stayed at all different types/classes of hotels, but I rate my views on honest, caring
attitude to guests, and this hotel is a fine example of how it should be done.

The only thing left for me to say is:- go and stay there for yourselves, you won't be disappointed.

Room Tip: we had a family room, very spacious, and quiet,sun on balcony in the afternoons
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Stocksfield
HotelNerjaClub, Community Manager at Nerja Club, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2013

Dear costumer,
Thank you for share your opinion of the Hotel Nerja Club. We like to know that you has liked our hotel. We wait to return to see you soon. You can follow our innovations in our Facebook

Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

Just come back from a week at the nerja club hotel, the hotel is quite a way out of the centre and a steep climb from the beach, not for the infirm. Thomson's brochure pictures must be airbrushed because the hotel doesn't look as nice when you get there. Check in at hotel was smooth and we were shown the way to our room on the 3rdfloor which had been refurbished as requested, room wasn't spotless as some reviews on here say, my sheet was ripped and bedding wasn't changed all week, the rip ended up huge, floors weren't swept properly and the tv table was thick with dust, view of main road was bad and really noisy you can hear everything!! requested a room move as soon as we got there but was told all the other rooms were full! In march I struggle to believe that. We booked full board,lunch was the best meal of the day set menu which you could pick up to 3 courses made to order. Breakfast was ok plenty of cereal toast and continental choices, cooked stuff was ok we stuck to the eggs. Evening meal was disappointing we only ate there twice went out the rest of the week as the restaurants menu del Dias range from 8-15 euros for 3 courses you couldn't moan the places we went to were all fantastic Los arcos hotel up the road has a gourmet tapas restaurant next to it go there for a fantastic meal best thing about this hotel is how close it is to this restaurant!!! Entertainment was geared towards the British it was tacky at best one guy was completely tone deaf, drink prices weren't too bad though. The staff were ok not overly helpful or nice unless you were a repeat guest then they couldn't do enough, the female receptionist was extremely rude and patronising and should be sacked for the way she talks to people and how I kept my temper with her is beyond me, I have never been treated so rudely by anyone in a service role and if I was the manager at this hotel I would be investing in some serious staff training in customer service! The pool was dirty every day and no one went in the whole week we were there, for what we paid for our holiday we weren't expecting the ritz but we did expect 3 star standards which this hotel wasn't. The villa flamenca is nicer and was only £40 more wish we would of stayed there instead. If I were you I would go to nerja it's a beautiful place I've been 3 times and will go back but will pay the extra and stay at a different hotel without a mini hitler female receptionist and a pool that's cleaned properly.

• Stayed: March 2013
HotelNerjaClub, Director General at Nerja Club, responded to this reviewResponded April 4, 2013

Dear costumer:

Thank you for sharing your opinion with us. We deeply regret we have not reached your expectations. We assigned as you requested a reformed room, though unfortunately we could not facilitate you one with a view to the sea or the swimming pool because all rooms was completed (even being March) because 80 % of our clients requests this type of room us.

The cleanliness in our hotel is a priority for us, and our clients testify it h their good comments. The swimming pool is cleaned of habitual form, though when it rains or is windy it is possible that it looks like that has not been cleaned. As for the service of the dinner, every day we receive congratulations for the quality and variety

In relation to our receptionist, she goes many years working with us and there has been no problem with her ever. We are sorry very much if you believed that she was attending to you badly. It was sure that it was not her intention. I would like that you consider that sometimes her work is not not easy at all.

We are lucky to have many clients who visit us every year, and from many years, they are saying us at their arrival: " This is our second home!". They are a part of our family and we are very proud of it . Nerja is a place really favoured to enjoy a holidays, we wish you continue coming to this beautiful village. We wait that you could give us a new opportunity and you visits the Hotel Nerja Club again.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

We stayed at the hotel for 1 week in March 2013, and we found the hotel to be clean and tidy, and well run. The hotel itself is a little basic in some areas, with some rooms recently refurbished. We stayed in room 321, on the 1st floor, with a good sized balcony with sea views. There were a couple of issues with our room, one being noise from the entertainments which was quite intrusive up until 23.30, when the entertainment stopped. Sleeping during this time was impossible, but to be fair we had requested a room with a balcony sea view, and I’m sure that if we requested a move, every effort would be made to accommodate us, as Hotel staff makes every effort to make sure your stay in a good one. The other issue was that the room smelt damp, though the room was cleaned every day by the attentive staff. There is a small TV in the room, with satellite channels in English French German, and Spanish, there is no fridge or kettle etc. in the room, but apparently these can be rented from reception.
The other major issue with the Hotel was its location, being a good 25 minute walk from the town centre, with the walk back being uphill all the way. The Hotel is set in a residential area, with no bars restaurants or bars in the vicinity. So if you need to be close to the action/interests then perhaps this Hotel is not for you. There is a large supermarket across the road which is open 6 days a week, so shopping is sorted.
Hotel food is what you would expect, buffet style with a good overall choice available. Freshly cooked meats, omelettes etc. are always available. If needed special requests can be made to the staffs who again try their best to make sure your stay is a good one. A varied drinks menu is available, with cost in line with bars etc., and not at all extortionate.
The hotel is of a good 3 star standard, family run, with attentive staff, who try to make your stay a good one. I probably would not stay there again, but this is solely due to the Hotel location, and not for any other reason.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
HotelNerjaClub, Community Manager at Nerja Club, responded to this reviewResponded April 1, 2013

Dear costumer,
Thank you very much for you opinion. The Nerja Club Hotel & Spa is aimed at customers looking for a quiet stay but close to the town of Nerja. As you could see, our staff gladly serves all requests. We're glad you enjoyed the meal. We hope to see you again.

Best regards.