“As it should be”

Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed February 23, 2014

A beach front restaurant as it should be, but so few are. The fresh sea food and the paella were excellent.

There are newer reviews for Merendero Jose Cruz

Reviewed October 8, 2013

My wife and I had an evening meal here on the beachfront. It was OK but nothing to shout about in terms of value and content. They have an ongoing barbecue, mainly, of fish but also meats. The rabbit was rather dry and the chicken dish uninspiring. Seafood soup was tasty and filling. Within a stones throw there are better eating places here.

1  Thank Rich52
Reviewed September 24, 2013

Service unfriendly, food was just average, prices way above average. Will not be back and would not recommend. Too many other great places to eat for better value.

4  Thank GMTDublin
Reviewed September 9, 2013

we ate here for lunch most days and the food was consistent , good and the staff very friendly. The paella and sardines special is worth having as you get plenty for your 10 Euro. Rustic beach front as what you would expect. The creme Catalan is excellent - you must try it ! All in all good value for money with friendly staff and good fresh fish

Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

Sometimes I think TripAdvisor is just plain wrong and this is one of those occasions. Seeing skewers of fresh sardines being barbecued along with fat brochettes of meat, and a large pan of paella on the side, it was easy to decide on the menu del dia. At €10.50 for two courses we really couldn't go wrong (so I'm bemused about poor value). Our paella starter was large enough to be a main course and overloaded with shellfish compared with our rather ordinary lunch at Ayo's two days ago. I counted 4 prawns, 3 fat mussels, 7 clams, a good few pieces of squid and chicken breast in my ample plate. A little salty and a tad too much turmeric but very good indeed (and including peas - I like peas in my paella!). The sardine skewer was equally good - cooked to perfection fish - the best I've had in two weeks. My daughter's chicken skewer was loaded with well cooked (and marinaded judging by the taste) chicken breast along with onions and peppers and accompanied by rice and jacket potato. The salad served with the sardines was not so good - sweet corn and dull carrot strips included. A fresh tomato, lettuce and olive salad would have been better. The service was fine though - efficient and as friendly as any we've experienced here. I'm frankly surprised by the low TA rating - very much undeserved I think.