“Menu del dia was excellent - and excellent value”

Merendero Jose Cruz
Ranked #294 of 427 Restaurants in Nerja
Cuisines: Spanish
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

Sometimes I think TripAdvisor is just plain wrong and this is one of those occasions. Seeing skewers of fresh sardines being barbecued along with fat brochettes of meat, and a large pan of paella on the side, it was easy to decide on the menu del dia. At €10.50 for two courses we really couldn't go wrong (so I'm bemused about poor value). Our paella starter was large enough to be a main course and overloaded with shellfish compared with our rather ordinary lunch at Ayo's two days ago. I counted 4 prawns, 3 fat mussels, 7 clams, a good few pieces of squid and chicken breast in my ample plate. A little salty and a tad too much turmeric but very good indeed (and including peas - I like peas in my paella!). The sardine skewer was equally good - cooked to perfection fish - the best I've had in two weeks. My daughter's chicken skewer was loaded with well cooked (and marinaded judging by the taste) chicken breast along with onions and peppers and accompanied by rice and jacket potato. The salad served with the sardines was not so good - sweet corn and dull carrot strips included. A fresh tomato, lettuce and olive salad would have been better. The service was fine though - efficient and as friendly as any we've experienced here. I'm frankly surprised by the low TA rating - very much undeserved I think.

Reviewed July 5, 2013 via mobile

We have been visiting Nerja for 25 years with our 2 boys and Jose remembers us every year and what we drink this year we got hugs and kisses. It's a beach restaurant so eat the fresh fish as they have a special daily. We had a snapper to feed 4 of us and it was an excellent lunch with superb service

Reviewed July 3, 2013

Great service, beautifully cooked and very fresh fish, fantastic baked potatoes with alioli and the homemade cheesecake and creme catalana were gorgeous.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

Great view of the beach, the multiligual staff are always pleasant even though they are very busy and it's a fantastic place to people watch as it is right beside the paseo along the beach front. On Sunday all the restaurants make a big deal of their paella although its served all week but its nice to be amongst the Spanish generations enjoying a leisurely lunch by the beach side. We enjoy the paella especial but the individual portions of paella are still very good and much cheaper, breakfast is also very nice. We have tried lunch in some of the other restaurants along the beach but so far this has been the best restaurant by far.

Reviewed June 14, 2013

Don't be fooled, looked clean and waiters presentable and attentive, but food when it arrived was extremely disappointing to the extent that we were worried about being poisoned.
The mussels were quite smelly, and looked old. The steak, was unrecognisable as a steak, the vegetables came out of a tin, it was such a poor meal and most of it went back! Be aware of extras that you will be charged for and beach sellers that are allowed by the restaurant staff to pester you while you eat your meal!

5  Thank shadav