“A nice restaurant off the main shopping street”
Review of Pepe Rico

Pepe Rico
Ranked #67 of 395 Restaurants in Nerja
Cuisines: International
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
“A nice restaurant off the main shopping street”
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Pepe Rico is a quiet haven in the summer months just off one of the main pedestrian streets in Nerja. They have a delightful patio at the rear that cannot be seen from the outside. The food is international with a Spanish influence and is good. It's a very good place to relax over a nice meal away from the street hubub.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank Nigel W

“Always special”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

We have been visiting Pepe Rico for about 14 years, which speaks for itself really. The food is consistently lovely, and the menu full of things one would actually want to eat, rather than trendy dishes pandering to the latest fashion. The ajo blanco chilled soup is AMAZING. The owner, Eva, is charming and the waiter, who has been there for years, is also wonderful. My only quibble is that they could change the vegetarian menu, and make it less salty.

1 Thank Azahar11
Coleraine, United Kingdom
“Fancy food but expensive and kind of dull”
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I'm kind of in two minds about Pepe Rico. On one hand it is undoubtedly nice food, if you want something more fancy than the typical Nerja restaurant. On the other hand, it can be really expensive without a real stand-out wow factor to make the expense seem worthwhile.

A great selection of hot and cold starters, and main courses consisting of mostly fish/prawns and meat/steak. Everything is well cooked and presented.

The restaurant has a garden terrace where most of the tables are located. It is nice and quiet, and completely removed from all the hustle and bustle of the street outside. But it also removes all atmosphere from the restaurant, it's just a few tables of people eating quietly under a sprawling tree. There was one waiter but he wasn't exactly the life and soul of the party either.

This is the kind of place where maybe you would have a fancy meal for a special occasion. But bring your own atmosphere with you because otherwise it might be kind of dull and depressing.

To come back to price, if you just have a starter and a main course, and share a bottle of wine, you will struggle to have much change from €40 per person. I call that expensive.

Would I go back to Pepe Rico - probably not. But that's just me. I'm sure there will be a certain group of customers that will love this restaurant. Each to their own!

• Visited September 2012
“Fantastic Meal”
Reviewed June 11, 2012

A group of us ate here on 9th June, a real treat. We have eaten here at least twice a year for the last 6 years and I have always found the staff to be professional, helpful and attentive.
We always go for the 28 Euro set menu, four courses with a fantastic fillet steak. Chocolate mouse is one of the best I have had. Beautiful shaded Terrace, Well worth the money

• Visited June 2012
Winchester, United Kingdom
“Fantastic, as always.”
Reviewed June 11, 2012

A few previous reviews have totally surprised me! My family of 9 recently had a large meal at Pepe Ricos to celebrate my birthday. The food was cooked to absolutle perfection, as before. Every course we ate was delicious(4 courses each!) - especially the steak! It fell apart in your mouth & we all vary in how we like our steak cooked - all were exactly right. I cannot praise the restaurant enough for the quality of food OR the price! 9 people dining can be very expensive & it was far from that. The service was also superb! Our waiter was lovely and bent over backwards to help us. He even helped me with my appauling spanish! i cannot believe a bad word could be said about the place & especially not about the prices! 28euros for 4 courses each? Good luck finding somewhere else in Nerja with such great food at such a LOW price.

• Visited June 2012