“Late Lunch - Very Filling”
Review of Taberna de Pepe

Taberna de Pepe
Ranked #45 of 408 Restaurants in Nerja
Cuisines: Spanish
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed May 13, 2013

I'm glad I didnt read the negative reviews about the pil pil and I confess I didn't order pil pil. We went to Pepe's based upon a local Nerja holiday website recommendation and we had an enjoyable lunch. We were the only tourists in the place. There was another couple celebrating a birthday and three guys at the bar getting hammered - all locals. It was interesting to watch.

We both ordered the chilled gaspacho soup as a starter and we each received a large serving in a large bowl. Very good, with chopped tomatoes and peppers on the side to add to your taste.

My wife had the calimari, which was a large serving with vegetables, fries and rice. The calimari was tender and well prepared. I had lamb chops, also a very large serving, also tasty. We had no room for dessert.

The bartender provided the service and was very attentive. He only spoke Spanish but was very helpful.

1  Thank Tim K

Reviewed April 18, 2013

We went here because it was recommended as a good tapas bar on a nerja holiday website. In particular the gambas pil pil was the "best in Nerja", how wrong can you be! It was really poor. Far far far too much garlic and a little burnt. So much so (I am a huge gambas pil pil lover) that I actually left some of the prawns as they were so garlicky....very disappointed :-(

Reviewed February 27, 2013

After the many good reviews I thought we would try this as it is down the street from us. What a disappointment. I had the shrimp pil pil. So bad could not eat it. No sauce as it should have with paprika, chill flakes and cayenne pepper. Only olive oil and BURNT garlic. Totally inedible. The burnt garlic was so bad and bitter etc. We also had the oxtail which was basic and nothing fantastic. We did enjoy the garlic soup with a fried egg in it. Nice atmosphere. Must have caught them on a bad day?? Cheers and happy eats.

Reviewed December 1, 2012

Rabo de Buey, fab Oxtail in Red wine sauce mmmmmmmmmmmm, the rest of the menu is fab too, all veg, everything is fresh and home-cooked. How many holiday places can say that these days????

1  Thank Christine S
Reviewed November 5, 2012

Good restaurant, food good and plentiful. Not somewhere that we would go in the summer but We prefer it as a winter restaurant.

2  Thank maddiemoo