“Hearty and tasty”
Review of Akabeko

Akabeko
Ranked #29 of 1,224 Restaurants in Fuengirola
Cuisines: Asian, Japanese, Healthy
Description: We are a small family restaurant of relaxed atmosphere, where you can try new flavors. We do not make complicated dishes, we only use simple ingredients and Japanese traditional recipes made with love at the moment. Come and enjoy a different food.
Reviewed October 19, 2018

We ate here 3 times over our 2 week holiday as it was so good. We were lucky it was so close to our appartment, but we would have definitely travelled further if we needed.

We tried a range of dishes and all of them were delicious, my all time favourite being the Akabeko Ramen which was hearty and filling and really delicious. The small plates work well as a starter and I'd recommend getting a couple/few and sharing. The food is certainly filling but not to the extreme. (full details on dishes below)

The restaurant itself appears small and unassuming from outside but there's plenty of space to seat quite a few tables inside, with additional seating outside. The decor is light and full of Japanese art. The staff are friendly but happy to leave you alone. The prices were reasonable, about €8.50 or so for the mains. I can't wait to return next year.

Chicken gyoza: really light and full of flavour, you receive 4 pieces
Chicken wings: crispy and tasty, not heavy on the sauce, you receive 8 pieces
Yakitori: sweet and savoury and great teriyaki sauce, you receive 2 skewers
Yaki Udon: fresh and filling with a healthy sprinkling of bonito flakes, a great bowl of tasty noodles, chicken and prawns
Akabeko-don: big bowl of breaded pork with a sweet and salty sauce on a bed of sticky rice
Yaki Soba: large portion of prawns, cabbage, carrot, and soba noodles coated in a lovely sauce
Tempura ramen: big bowl of exceptional ramen soup filled with udon noodles, vegetables and tempura prawns
Akabeko ramen: (again) big bowl of exeptional ramen soup filled with soba noodles, vegetables, belly pork, a boiled egg and a little fish cake. The prettiest dish and the tastiest.
Chocolate Dorayaki: lovely little pancake to end the meal, one pancake cut in 2 is enough to share after a filling bowl of ramen
Chocolate fondant: great little chocolate fondant, definitely one to share as it's quite rich

Date of visit: October 2018
2  Thank kittysteel

Reviewed June 14, 2018

Found this place by coincidence (saw it while passing by on a bus) and decided to check it out after reading the many positive reviews on Tripadvisor.

We ordered gyozas, eggplant with miso and okonomiyaki to share and then everyone got their own individual dishes. My friends ordered the yakisoba, my husband had one of the rice bowl dishes called 'Sauce Katsudon' while I had the 'Akabeko-don'.

The Akabeko-don in our opinion was definitely more like the traditional katsudon, whilst the 'Sauce Katsudon' was way too sweet. Not too sure why the swap, but if you are looking for the proper katsudon, do order the Akabeko-don.

Everything was delicious and we were happy that there were vegetarian options for our friend as well. We were too late in the year for ramen (which they only serve during the colder months) but will definitely return to check out more of the other dishes.

Service was very friendly, though the food took some time to arrive (think there was only one or two people cooking), but worth the wait. Highly recommended!

Date of visit: June 2018
Reviewed April 10, 2018 via mobile

Small family run (mixed couple?) Japanese restaurant.

The place is small, so you might want to reserve in advance.

They do everything fresh at the moment (it might be slow depending on their workload, but they make you know about possible delays beforehand) and the food is extremely good value for what you get.

Young or big men with big appetite may need one or two starters and a main course.

The service is polite.

Overall the place is well worth a visit. Rating 5 because of the good value.

Date of visit: April 2018
Reviewed February 1, 2018

I had lunch here the other day and it was really great. The Akabeko Restaurant, for me is a go to restaurant. When I'm hungry, but I don't know exactly what I want, this is where I go. It is always good. I started with Yakitori, this is pieces of chicken on skewers, and it is great. For mains I had the Ramen soup, this is a meal in itself. Plenty of noodles, pieces of pork, a poached egg, and vegetables cooked together, and served in a large bowl, fantastic, for dessert I had the Matcha Cheesecake, which is a great dessert. The Akabeko Restaurant has moved to a new location. The restaurant is now located directly behind where it used to be. That is one street behind the coast road. This is the dual carriage way, cross that street, and you will find The Akabeko up a flight of stairs, on the far side of that street. Still the same people, and still the same great food.

Date of visit: January 2018
Reviewed January 27, 2018

worst experience, the food was okay (a bit expensive compared to what you get) but the waiter/owner accused me of taking the menu card - what the f should i use a menucard to?

Date of visit: January 2018
1  Thank pluds
Akabeko115, Propietario at Akabeko, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2018

Dear Gezgin Oktay.
Thanks for giving me the opportunity to tell you ... little thief.
Are you kidding me. The other clients SAW YOU perfectly (the table next to you). You have no excuse.
We CAUGHT you :-)
But the worst was the embarrassment that the boy who was with you went through. Poor guy.
Anyway. Stay in your house ok.

Oh. And if the price seemed high? Tell me, 20,45 € for a dinner of 2 people. Better go to the Macdo.
Little Kid.

And do not use the F word. TripAd does not allow it !!!.