“Lovely Hotel”

Hotel IPV Palace & Spa
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Fuengirola
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed July 26, 2009

Arrived at Malaga quite late & just caught the last train into Fuengirola around 23:00 at a cost of €4.20 for both of us - Bargain! Another €13.00 took us to the hotel in less than 15 minutes. So from airport to hotel was around an hour, and no hassle waiting to board a coach and stopping at millions of other hotels!

On arrival check in was pain free & at first glance our room was like most hotel rooms we've stayed in, everything you need, clean & tidy. However when we opened the curtains, even after midnight, the veiws were stunning, all the rooms face the pool and as long as you're not on ground level they all have a fabulous veiw of the beach and sea. The bathroom was nice with a hairdryer as good as the one you use at home & a shower that could knock you out when on full power! No annoying temperature changes either.

Breakfast is served until 10.30 which is great. I was dieting as usual but plenty of healthy choices which I didn't choose! Lots of juices, tea or coffee brought to the table, also flasks of hot milk for wimps like me who like weak coffee. There were bacon eggs beans tomatoes etc.. omlettes made to order, pastries, pancakes, cereal, cold meats cheese, fruit, yogurts & bread (toasters near by). Staff were helpful & there were plenty of seats inside or out. A nice relaxing start to the day (If I come back here in the future I would take the half board option).

No one reserved loungers around the pool, there was no need, plenty available. There is a towel service for which you leave a deposit at reception. I wouldn't recommend the pool bar as prices were a little high to say the least! There is a supermarket across the bridge at the front of the hotel though and you can cram enough water, coke etc in the mini bar to see you through a hard day in the sun!

We had lunch in the tapas bar in the hotel which was ok, again a little pricey ( I guess you can't blame the hotel for the strengh of the £ against the € though)!

Out and about : The beach is a seconds walk from the pool! Loungers there cost €8 a day but why bother when the free ones at the hotel are so near! No roads to cross, just a gate accessed by using your key card. The gate is locked at midnight.

A good 15 minute walk would get you into town, if you're strolling along it's nearer half an hour to be honest. Plenty of bars along the way if you fancy a bit of people watching! Once in the centre there are hundreds of bars & resturaunts to choose from.

On depature check out time is 12:00 but when I asked at reception I was told that there was no charge to keep the room until 14:00 but after that a €50 charge. Been a Yorkshire lass we checked out at 14:00! Cases were kept behind reception and free use of the facilities in the spa are available if you need to shower and change.

We left as we arrived Taxi and train. The train was very busy as it was around 17:00 but not a problem as it is only around a 30 min journey.

I would go back to this hotel if I wanted a few days in the sun & I don't normally go anywhere more than once, as there are so many places to see. It was lovely here though, nice room & a good location if you're looking for a relaxing beach/pool holiday. 20 years ago (I'm 40) I would have thought it was a little far out of the centre but then again 20 years ago I would probably have got there faster.....

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jeanie68
Write a ReviewReviews (1,508)

Reviewed July 20, 2009

We stayed here in mid July, we liked the fact that all the rooms had a sea view, and were reasonably clean. We stayed half board, the food was ok but nothing to rave about. Its a big hotel so expect lots of noise in the peak of the season, I found the walls paper thin and was unable to sleep for the whole stay. Beach parties are common in summer, so expect a lot of noise till 5am!!!
The spa is the worst I've ever seen, its no more than a small indoor pool with a couple of dripping taps, the gym was pretty poor too.
Its a short strole to Fuengirola, I wouldn't bother though.
To sum up, its ok if you pay a bargain price for your stay, there are much better hotels on the Costa Del Sol, and much better places than Fuengirola.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 18, 2009

I have just returned from this hotel and can say I had a super time. It is a very Spanish orientated hotel with mostly Spanish guests. The hotel is spotlessly clean and there were always plenty of sunbeds around the pool. The breakfasts were awesome, with Bucks Fizz if you wanted it! The young lad who makes the omelettes to order could do with brushing up on his friendliness, but other than this boy all other staff we encountered were very nice.

For a €10 deposit at reception you can use the hotel pool towels and you collect them from the pool boy, changing as often as you want. On your last day you take them back to the reception upon check out and they return the €10 to you. The towels are good quality.

It is about a 30 minute walk to the main area where all the restaurants and bars are, but you do pass some along your walk, they are just not a lot of life until you get to the middle of the promenade.

If I had one critiscm is is there is no supermarket nearby, although there is a garage across the main highway at the front of the hotel, but you have to cross the bridge to get there, about a 20 minute round trip. I would have liked to have a supermarket nearer to stock up on water and soft drinks as the prices in the hotel are extortionate. €2 for a small bottle of water! One day we decided to have lunch at the hotel snack bar, we had 2 beers each and a small plate of paella and it was €60. Needless to say we skipped that after that one time! In the bar area I bought 2 gin and tonics and it was €16.50!!

I would go back to the hotel definitely, but because of the cost of eating and of time there I think a long weekend is about my limit!!

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank BettyCardiff
Reviewed June 2, 2009

This was my second trip to this hotel.I had visited with a friend in winter 2007. I returned with my partner and ten year old daughter.The standard of the hotel is great , very well kept , fab food , and superb veiw to the sea.Fab for a relaxing break.( if you don't mind weddings ) we saw 5 in one week!
Hop on the train from the airport just 2 euro each! That will bring you to the centre of Fuengirola .Then just ten euro in a taxi to the hotel .you get views of the coast along the way and avoid the full blown scary costa taxi ride!
If you just want to chill in the sun. walk the promenade or enjoy an hour in the spa . It IS ideal.
The main resort is really tacky with a few wee gems thrown in 'smile 'bar on the water front is ultra chic and worth a visit . Bar Lola in the main square is lovely too.
Resturant wise ,the italian Grappa is a stand out as it is owned by alovely italian family and the food is authentic , made and served with passion- a joy to be in.
Also boatella ? right on the seafront basic ,bustling and delicious for lunch time.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with family
1  Thank glasgowgals
Reviewed April 16, 2009

This hotel is an excellent hotel for many reasons. The Staff are very friendly, including the chefs who cook your breakfast omlettes,eggs etc fresh each morning to your order, the chefs on the evening who cook your fish (3 choices) or meat ( 3choices) fresh each evening to your order. The waiting staff, especially Karol is very helpful and will do his best to accomodate your orders. Bar Staff, Reception in fact, everyone you come into contact with at this hotel are very polite and as helpful as can be.
the food choices on offer both at breakfast and evening meal were more than enough to satisfy even the fussiest of eater. Right down to approx 8 different juices for breakfast!!
It was always fresh and replenished very quickly so nothing was ever a shortage.
The location, just on the edge of Fuengirola, is great for us as we are people who enjoy the quiet but like to wander into town if we so wish. About 20mins walk down the lovely promenade or much further, 1 hour if you fancy a walk right to the other end of the prom.
The rooms all had excellent sea views which i though was a lovely idea as you could fall to sleep to the sound of the waves, even with the door to the balcony closed. They were cleaned every day and we did have a kettle put in our room along with tea, coffee and milk for our convenience, this was delivered by reception but not at our request which we were very pleased with.
All areas of the hotel were kept in spotless condition.
All round an excellent 1 week holiday in an outstanding hotel and a bargain price of £550 for half board.
Would recommend this hotel most definately, and would not hesitate to re visit.
p.s try the Marina in the port of Fuengirola , this has amazing home cooked food and is excellent value again.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Trustedtraveller40
Reviewed April 11, 2009

We stayed at the hotel early April 2009 - It is a little away from the husstle and bustle of the bars and shops which we enjoyed, also the beach is a little quieter outside the hotel.
Hotel is great, very friendly, food fantastic and loads of it.
Only down side No tea/coffee facilities in the room and you have to pay £2.50 per cup at the bar, same as drinks with evening meal.
If I go to Fuengirola again I would deffinateley stay here.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SeahorseBirmingham
Reviewed April 3, 2009

this hotel is the best, great cleaning,great pool,great spa fantastis room if u want to go on holiday and have a wounderful break then this is the place 4 you !!!! plus great location absoutly brilliant don't lisson 2 anyone else's lesson 2 mine

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends