“Family holiday”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Bolton
“Family holiday”
Reviewed August 16, 2013

The hotel is on the outskirts of Fuengirola so you need to be prepared to walk a good 15minutes along the promenade before you get to a range of pubs and restaurants. The hotel is directly opposite the beach with secured access to and from the hotel. The rooms were a decent size with a lovely view of the beach and sea. The breakfasts were very good but we had concerns about the evening meal to which I spoke to the manager who was very understanding and was willing to listen to what I had to say - mainly that the food had a tendency to be luke warm and more variety was needed. It was nice for once not to have to get up at the crack of dawn to get a sunbed but be aware the ones with parasols will go first. Also children are not allowed to take inflatables in the water. The majority of residents in the hotel at this time of year are Spanish so will not suit if you are looking for lots of Brits.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (213)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Gateshead
Reviewed August 12, 2013

My husband and I visited the Beatriz Palace in February and I commented that I would not like to go back in peak season but guess what we did. Firstly I would like to say that this is not a four star hotel but a probable three. The potential for this to be a much better hotel is there but things fall apart with lack of basic input and up keep. Things are very shabby, for a start the loungers by the pool are awful dirty old blue plastic beds that have seen better days, The snack bar beside the pool needs a total overhaul both in cleanliness and up keep of the cast iron chairs which were in desperate need of a paint. There is a beautiful piano bar near the reception area but it is hardly used I suspect because of the price of the drinks 16 euros for two gin and tonics. Normal price would be ten or max twelve. Another area in which we were overcharged was actually at the snack bar two ice creams were 7 euros I later discovered at the kiosk down the road we could get them for 5 euros pity I didn't go there first. However I will say we were still impressed with the size of the rooms and the cleanliness of the hotel; food was ok but not of the same standard as in February as my husband said they are catering for the 'masses' in peak season. Another thing I found strange was the lack of managerial presence in a hotel of this size who should in essence be keeping on top of things. The majority of waiting on staff we found worked extremely hard and efficiently and are the backbone of this hotel. Would we visit again yes we would but definitely not in peak season. In August this hotel caters almost exclusively for Spanish families who are intent on having a good if rather noisy time. I think I will stick to staying out of season.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GatesheadCheekychops
Bolton
Reviewed August 10, 2013

Just returned from a stay at this hotel. Was ok but just a couple of things let it down.

Plus things are it looks good, rooms are nice and clean. In a nice spot and we had a great sea view. Beach was fine and we enjoyed it.

Negative things are the food in the evening wasn't great when it came to the mains. Not great choice and not very hot. The soups,salad, cold meats and desserts were fine it was just the mains that let it down.

There is nothing allowed in the pool with regard things for the children. No inflatables and even just playing catch with a small ball was banned. My children aren't wild and don't go flying round diving on lidos as I appreciate that can upset others but am sure a game of catch could be allowed ! Even a small boy in his inflatable small car had it withdrawn !

To be fair the manager spoke to us over a couple of these issues and appreciated the feedback.

In the summer it is mainly Spanish and not many English where there.

In summary we had a nice chilled holiday but just a couple of these things just took the edge off it.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Robwalsh
Workington, United Kingdom
Reviewed August 1, 2013

We have just returned from a 10 night stay at Beatrice Palace and can not praise it sufficiently !
The building is very impressive with huge public areas, furnished very tastefully to an extremely high standard. Our room offered everything which we could need during our stay and was kept immaculately clean by polite and friendly room maids. Towels were changed daily and the bed once. The only sound which we could hear (through our open balcony door) at night was the tranquil sound of the sea's waves as they lapped the shore - BLISS !! How anyone could suggest they heard road noise beggars belief.
We met many members of staff during our stay, each one extremely friendly and with a genuine desire to offer assistance where ever they could. Language was no barrier as each one spoke at the very least a few English words and some were fluent. Indeed they put those of us who can only speak our native tongue to shame.
Breakfasts were amazing !! All tastes were catered for, even champagne to mix with the fresh orange juice if that was your fancy. I particularly adored the little pancakes and the gorgeous sticky croisssants.
The evening meals however did not really offer something for everyone. My husband does not like fish, and there was a lot of it ! One particular evening appeared to be a "fish night" as there was no alternative. On that particular evening I had a huge piece of fresh salmon with salad whilst my husband settled for chicken nuggets and chips from the children's choice.
A downside was the pool. Not so much the pool as the children within it !! There were no signs stating, No Jumping In or No Toys, consequently we were constantly dive bombed by fearless juniors leaping in off the sides and there were also some very dear children with powerful water pistols who were very indiscriminate with their aim (even spraying people with whom they were not familiar, on the sun beds.) I must admit that had they sprayed me whilst I was on my sun lounger I would have hastily confiscated their weapons.
The evening entertainment was quite alarming and could unfortunately be heard loud and clearly from our bedroom. On one particular evening the wailing was so painful that we could not quite believe that anyone could be willingly listening to the "artist" or how on Earth she managed to find herself hired to entertain the guests in the first place. On this occaision we closed the balcony door and were very grateful for the extremely efficient air conditioning.
As lovely as the hotel was, we will not return because the walk from hotel to resort was rather too far in the extreme heat (or even in the cool of the evening) and Fuengirola it's self was not really our "cup of tea". Having said this, the hotel was far too stylish to be anywhere other than away from the midst of the resort centre.

Room Tip: Ground floor rooms had no privacy, neither had they a boundary to shield them from passers by.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Chris W
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 28, 2013

I stayed from the 10th July 2013 for 3 nights, this was my third stay and second time as a solo traveller, as with my previous visit the hotel was excellent, lovely sea facing room, great breakfast and nice pool area, thoroughly recommend the place to anyone.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank WorsleyGuy
Province of Seville, Spain
Reviewed July 28, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here in juli 2013. After checking on the Internet that there were many happy people we decided to go and book here. The hotel service is top even better then the one you will ever get in a 5 star hotel. The rooms are big and clean. Only problem is that there are 3 buildings and if they don't put you in the main building you need to go down with the elevator then walk to another building and grab the elevator again. It wasn't so busy so it wasn't a problem. The only negative thing was the bed matress it was so hard that I couldn't sleep and therefore we will not stay more in this hotel . I would recommend everyone to this hotel If the don't mind a hard bed. Everything is near walking distance you have bars restaurant shopping mall

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank Danny S
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I stayed here in June with my sister and brother-in-law and parents. We were celebrating my parents Diamond Wedding. One of the key factors in choosing this hotel was that it had steps down into the pool for my mother who cannot walk very well. Nearly all the other hotels we liked had ladders only. The only issue with the pool was that the shallow end wasn't very shallow, my mother is only 4' 9" and not a good swimmer and she couldn't walk in the shallow end. The other issue is that there are very few parasols, there were plenty of sun beds but these were mainly all in the sun until afternoon. I moved a sun bed behind a bush one day so I could get my head in the shade but stick my legs out!!!
All rooms face the sea. There have been some comments about the filled in balconies but I preferred this as I could sit on it and still see the sea and headland at Benalmadena but had no one looking up at me. The air conditioning wasn't very good and the room never felt cold.
My parents requested a kettle at reception for making tea and coffee which was complimentary, the only issue was that the milk was not replenished every day.
The whole hotel was very clean and the rooms were serviced every day. The bathroom was spacious with a fantastic shower and the towels were large unlike many hotels I have stayed in. You can also get towels for the pool and beach with a 10 euro deposit which is refunded at the end of your stay. This was great as you could change them as often as you want so never had to lie on wet towels.
The hotel is very Spanish and this was another reason I really liked it, the staff and most of the people staying were Spanish.
I enjoyed the food, very good selection for breakfast with eggs, omelettes and pancakes freshly prepared. Lots of salads at night with freshly cooked fish or meat although not much choice of hot vegetables. There was always a pasta dish and lots of different sweets. If you wanted your food hotter then there was also a microwave.
It was too far for my parents to walk into Fuengirola so we got taxis which cost 8 euros one way.
We got the local bus to Mijas one day and there are buses to other places such as Ronda and Marbella. We also got the train to Malaga, which goes every 20 minutes and was 7 euros return.
We went for lunch to a small bar near the hotel on several days which had freshly prepared food and lovely people serving.
The campsite supermarket was opposite the hotel over the walkway over the main road, it wasn't massive but had most of the basics including water.
The entertainment in the hotel was hit and miss, mainly I prefer to miss it but my family like it so that was disappointing. One night the show was inside and the bar didn't open for quite a long time so we didn't go down early again.
I think the hotel lacks a nice, atmospheric bar. The piano bar was part of reception and very impersonal, also when he was playing you felt like you couldn't talk. It needs a smaller, dedicated bar and somewhere I would feel happy on my own and this wasn't there.
Overall though I loved the hotel and would definitely go back.

Room Tip: Try to get a higher floor to avoid only seeing the pool from your room.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with family