“Bravo La Jabega! What a hidden little gem you are!”

Apartamentos La Jabega
Ranked #9 of 37 Hotels in Fuengirola
North West
“Bravo La Jabega! What a hidden little gem you are!”
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Let me start by saying that I say it as I see it. I don't wear holiday goggles where everything is 'fab' or 'awesome' because someone called Mario or Mumtaz dances round my dinner table telling me how beautiful my wife is. Neither do I whine about anything and everything and expect 5 star hotels for 3 star prices like many Brits do. (A REAL 5 star would cost more for one night than most people pay for the week - they just don't know it because they've never been to one)

Here we go for La Jabega and I hope it helps you decide -

1. Location.
Outstanding. 8/10. It is literally 30 metres from a very pleasant stretch of beach. There are shops and supermarkets all around the back streets and even the one on the front ten yards away from La Jabega is not too badly priced. (£4 for a bottle of white rum, £1 for a loaf etc) For the best supermarket come out the main door, turn right go to the first T junction and take a left. Walk for ten minutes and there is a huge one there where the prices and choice are fantastic. It just says SUPERMARCARDO on the front. There are a number of eateries nearby. If you have kids and want to eat cheaply imagine La Jabega being on a 'block' like in the US and on the next corner at the back is a small kebab shop called King Kebabs where for £3.50 you get a donner, chips and a can. It was tasty and I imagine kids would like it. The local taxi drivers run in and out of it all the time.
The sea front at Fuengirola is HUGE - about 4 miles long and La Jabega is set around the halfway point of it. Looking at the sea if you take a left it will take you to the more touristy areas and the right more into the Spanish town bit. Both are good for a mooch around with lots of shops and cafes.

2. Facilities.
Remember it is a block of apartments not a hotel. If you have kids and they don't like the beach they will get bored. If they like the beach they will love it. At night the main strip is alive with street entertainers, cafes, pavement traders and people just out and about until around 1am. It isn't rowdy and I didn't see any embarassing stag or hen groups thank God. (I think they are twenty miles up the coast in Benidorm). There isn't a swimming pool which was a shame but the sea here is very shallow and calm. We had a studio apartment as did our friends. It had a kettle, toaster, 2 ring hob, fridge with freezer and sink. There were lots of plates and bowls, bottle opener, tea towels, table cloths, jugs and glasses etc. On the balcont (which is big) there is a drier, table and two plastic chairs. In the room the beds are HUGE. They are 3/4 size and when you push them together it is incredible. They are also medium firm, clean and the most comfortable I have ever slept on anywhere in the world. (Our friends agreed with me). The air con is absolutely great and it's free. Leave it on and the room is plunged into the ice age which is great when you come back in from the beach. There is a wall mounted smallish flat screen TV with lots of channels but tbh I didnt really use it. (Our friends did and they found enough English TV to keep them happy). The two armchairs were clean, large and comfy. We dragged them onto the balcony. Our room was sea facing and was airy,large and bright. Our friend''s room was at the side and if I'm honest I found it a little dark for my taste. They were happy however. Some people have mentioned the furniture being dated. It's Spain. Most of their furniture is dark and heavy. They're not into IKEA like we are. The wardrobes are big with plenty of hangers and the safe in the wardrobe is useful. Both of our rooms also had a sort of sideboard piece of furniture which seemed odd at first but ended up being incredibly useful. (Our friends said the same). The bathroom is well equipped with a hairdryer. We had a wet room and our friends had a bath. Both if us had lashings of hot water. There were plenty of towels and they are changed daily. To rent an umbrella on the beach costs 9 euros but you can buy them everywhere for about a tenner.

You will be extremely surprised at how attractive the lobby is to what is essentially a budget accomodation block. It is quite resplendent with marble, smoked mirrors and statuettes everywhere. The sofas in there are comfortable and they put English newspapers about every day. There are 3 lifts and they are effective. Tiny but effective.

Every night they have live singers. Not really my cup of tea but they didnt sound too bad and were pretty popular. The bar prices are quite reasonable as well and the staff are pleasant. The entertainment at La Jabega stops at dead on 12 at night but you can stroll off and within a 100 metres you will find something happening somewhere.

What to do when you're there:
a. Bar One.
An English pub about 200 yards away in the road at the back of La Jabega. it is a no nonsense bar run by an English couple who will seel you a triple local spirit and coke for 3 euros. It gets really busy at night and is a good place to people watch. It isn't rowdy and there is no entertainment but the location and prices make sup for this.

b. Mijas
This is a reasonably large village in the mountains behind Finguerola. We had a car and it took fifteen mins to drive to. I should imagine a bus runs there pretty frequently. It is so worth going to just get a taxi. The views are phenomenal. It is real oldeEspanol. i.e Donkeys, horse and carts, leather shops, views to die for and sleepy little back streets full of moochy shops. JUST GO. We liked it so much we went twice.

c. Gibraltar.
Go to one of the trip booking shops and pay the £23 for the day trip,cave tour, and rock tour. It only takes about an hour to get there. The views from the top to Africa cannot be described here with any justice. The monkeys are hilarious if you take a bag of M and M's and the cave up there.... how come I have never heard about it???? It is a phenomenon. The shops there aren't as cheap as they would have you believe. I can get cameras in the UK cheaper. The fags are REALLY cheap (£2 for 20) but you can only take one carton per person back into Spain.

c. Visit the harbour and take a loaf of bread. It is full of grey mullet weighing about 2 pound a piece and feeding them is a buzz.

d. The flea market on a Sunday ain't up to much. It's just like the ones we get back home. Lots of cheap Tee shirts, shoes and bags etc. We wasted half a day wandering up there,

WARNING- Under NO circumstances believe all the hype on the signs outside a restaurant called Don Q Buffet. It can be found on the front as you get near the harbour. It is, without a doubt, the worse meal I have ever eaten in any restaurant in the world. It is made to look like an all-you-can-eat carvery from the outside. It's not. It's krap. When I told the owner of Bar One we had eaten in there he just started laughing and said someone had walked out of there refusing to pay the night before. I wished we had done the same.

Conclusion.
If you got La Jabega for about £600 to £700 per person including flights you are going to be VERY pleased. It is one of the few holidays I was seriously considering changing our flight dates and booking another week. And as I said earlier I am pretty picky.You will get your money's worth just for location, views and cleanliness. Feel free to contact me if you need any photos and I hope this has helped.

PS - Push for one of the many apartments on the front to get the views across the bay and beautiful sunrises/sunsets.

Room Tip: Sea front for views. Low floors if you like people watching at night. It really is entertaining!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
25 Thank sparky2000NorthWest

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
  • Finnish first
  • Polish first
Scotland
Reviewed July 15, 2012

We (me, my daughter and grandson) had a lovely holiday at La Jabega. On arrival we were allocated a 1 bedroom apartment although we had only booked a studio. The decor and furnishings in the apartment are very dated but everything was clean and the beds comfortable. The maids came in daily (except Sunday) to clean, make beds and empty bin. The towels were changed every other day (just leave them in the bath if you want clean ones). The beds were changed twice during our 2 week stay. The kitchen area was very small only 2 rings but had everything that we needed, toaster, kettle, mini oven, pots and pans. There was sufficient crockery/cutlery for 4 people including wine glasses/tumblers also tablecloth and tea towel. In the bathroom there was complimentary shampoo and shower gel and a hairdryer which was a plus. There is a deposit of 30 Euro for the remote controls for the TV and air conditioning but this is refunded in full when you return them at the end of your holiday. Entertainment is provided in the bar every evening but if you enjoy good music I'd give it a miss and try some of the other hotels. The hotel has no pool but the beach is across the road just a few yards away.

One thing I would point out and this has no connection with the hotel is that a few days after we arrived there were jellyfish in the sea and we couldn't go in the water for several days so if I returned to Fuengirola I would go to a hotel with a pool.

If you're on a budget, La Jabega is a good value for money option..

Room Tip: Request a sea view, apartments at the rear do not get any sun.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
6 Thank gr00vygran
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 12, 2012

loved the location of this hotel,had a very relaxing holiday in la jabega,was quiet though i was there in may and to be honest it wasnt busy,there is no pool which didnt bother me as the sea is right out front as soon as u walk out of the hotel you are on the beach,there is a supermarket near by and as a solo traveller was great as i was in a self catering apartment,was good value for what i paid,rooms were clean and spacious,i had a sea view on the 3rd floor and although it was free wifi i couldnt get a signal in my room,but there is internet access throughout the hotel in the lobby and eating areas,your walking distance to the bus station and train,and city center,staff were friendly.worth a return visit.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank Kaype-72
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 30, 2012

We usually stay at Ronda 4, but as it was getting refurbished and closed to the public in December 2011, we decided to plump for a different hotel. La Jabega is more centrally located between Fuengirola & Los Boliches. We didn't have a bedroom, but a studio. We had a great view from the 4th floor overlooking the beach. The room had two big sofas, which were adequate for beds, and comfy too!
The room had all amenities that you would expect. Nice hotel. Clean. No pool, but a big beach and sea a stones throw away. Plenty of places to go to of a night for restaurants.. Cosquins around the back of the hotel is a great steak place. Also, Kontiki restaurant has great food. For a friendly pub, go to Bar 1 Fuengirola, around the corner. John & Trish will look after you.
Also, The Sandpiper restaurant on the front 5 mins walk away. Lovely food!
We love coming here because its a chillout holiday, and no idiots to spoil it for you!

Room Tip: Front apartments on 4th floor have great views.
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Alan T
Cavan, Ireland
Reviewed June 28, 2012

just returned from this great apartment after a weeks stay when we arrived we were given a second floor apt unfortunatley we were looking out on to a building site so we asked to change to a sea view apt if possible reception staff were very helpful and the following day moved us up to the 7th floor with a marvellous sea view the apts are clean and tidy with all u need for self catering would certainly recommend

Room Tip: ask for a sea view
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
4 Thank stephen19689
Reviewed June 9, 2012

Had a fabulous time in room 708. Sea view and sun on the balcony every evening. First time there but have booked for next year already. Surrounding area so pleasant and safe. Highly recommended.

• Stayed May 2012
8 Thank Riverch
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 30, 2012

Just back from 9 nights in studio with side beach view . Sorry but I cannot agree with other reviews . The rooms were very dated and the arrangement of 3 ? single beds and kettle , toaster etc made things difficult to use. Although the room was clean on arrival there was very little cleaning done over the 9 days . The floor was not brushed or mopped during our stay , Towels were thin and grey , beds were not made only top sheet pulled up . The walls are very thin and therefore noisy at night . Reception staff were extremely ignorant and rude and were not interested when we complained , well they had our money by then . Entertainment was not that great , bar staff were ok but then they probably top wages up with tips.Location is the only plus point . We stayed at near by Stella Maris last year and it was far superior with modern rooms, new bathrooms lovely kitchen area and pleasant friendly staff , but they were full this time , I wonder why ?

Room Tip: even if you ask for front room you wont get one
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple