DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Resort & Spa Reserva del Higueron
Ranked #10 of 37 Hotels in Fuengirola
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Very unusual hotel with a very open feel. Staff were lovely and food was very nice. If you stay half board good tip is to choose from the to cook selection of fish or meat, this way you can guarantee hot food. Lots to choose from though if you chose from the hot plate selection it could have been hotter. Saying that we had a great 5 days. You need a car to stay at this hotel as it is well away from most places and the train bus does not go into the hub of the resorts around. Nice for a complete rest. Excellent facilities and the Spa is attached. You will get charged however for use of some of the facilities and it is not cheap.

Room Tip: Rooms have a modern open bathroom. Comfortable beds. We were overlooking the main road and private...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank angela t

Reviewed March 20, 2013

just returned from 6 nights at this very different and quirky hotel. the hotel itself is beautiful, very clean and comfatable. In the reception area there are sofas and bean bags to relax on. They also have FREE wine, champagne and coffee!!!! The room itself was nice although small and certainly not very private with the toilet and shower only having one sliding door between them! Beds were very comfatable. there was no entertainment on in the hotel, which was very quiet for the first few days. The hotel is about half way between fuengerola and benalmadina there is nothing at all around the hotel which is situated at the top of an extremly steep hill.... certainly not for the faint hearted!!!! The bigest dissapointment was the food, considering this was suppose to be a four/five star hotel the evening meal was always cold.... it started from 7 till 10 and every night we went at 7 the covers were still on the food and it was still cold,on more than one occasion we noticed the chef adding to the food in the tourines a big no no especially in what is classed as a good hotel. On the plus side the breakfast was ok. The biggest dissapointment was on the last weekend when hundreds of people turned up for a tennis tournament, the noise was incredable we did not sleep both nights it was awful, we should have been informed of this when we booked as it had obviously been arranged for a long time, either that or they could have put us on a higher floor not right above the function room. A big dissapointment.

Room Tip: do not opt for a low floor!!!!
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank sandi h
Reviewed March 18, 2013 via mobile

Beautiful looking hotel, clean and modern. Room was nice sized with large comfortable bed, but a non usable shower. Water went from scalding to freezing every few seconds no matter what time of day we tried it. Nice large free standing soaker tub, but the water never came out very hot and it took 20 min or more to fill. Door to hallway was not sound proof and I often woke to someone yelling in the hall in the middle of the night. Friendly staff, especially Carmen at the breakfast buffet. Large breakfast buffet with numerous choices of food and drink. Didn't eat there otherwise after reading previous reviews on the dinner meals. Probably would not return to stay here again

• Stayed: March 2013
1  Thank Meljkidd
Reviewed March 15, 2013

THB reserva del Higueron is a hotel located approximately 25 Km outside Malaga. Building in a hill with panoramic view to the sea. Luxury and modern hotel especially for summer vacations. I stayed there 3 days, two of them was rainy days so it was the better era for the place.
The stuff is very friendly everywhere in the hotel: Reception, restaurants with a plus the good English they spoke and the a helpful attitude.
Rooms are clean but are not recommended for travelers for business. There is no space to put a lap-top and write or do whatever you like and you have to find a snug berth in a small stand next to bathroom. Curious but true there are no real chairs in the room! Only a small shorty sofa and a combination of plastic seat with wooden legs. Both of them are not comfortable...
Curious enough: there is not phones at the room, so you have to take a mobile set from the reception!
Breakfast is rich and in the same place later the day there is a bar that can serve clients with snacks or some foods till 11 o;clock the night.
The hotel is not close to the city of Malaga, so you have to take a train and make a 40 minutes to ride to be in the center.

Room Tip: A shuttle bus every 20 minutes can drive the clients to the railway station or to the beach of Fueng...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed March 13, 2013

I have just returned from spending 4 nights in this wonderful hotel. I am a minimalist so this hotel suited me. If you like your old fashioned hotel with character this is not for you. I am from a hotel background myself so my expectations are high. DO pay the extra and get a suite, in my opinion there was a big difference in the standard room and junior suite. The suite has a bedroom with separate living area with sofa bed, 2 showers, 2 toilets, 2 plasma TVs. Most of their suites are duplex however I called the hotel and booked a suite on one floor (they have 4) as I have a toddler and did not want stairs. When I arrived I asked to see the Junior Class Suite which was €50 more expensive (if you are looking at photos - it has the large round sofa in the window. In my opinion the junior suites were nicer so I opted to stay where I was). The staff are all very friendly especially the tall blond lady on reception , David in the roof top bar, the restaurant staff were all lovely too.
After reading all the reviews we hired a car (absolutely a necessity - with GPS). I always use Marge from Terry’s rent a car (be careful there are two - this one is in Malaga). She may be a little more expensive but the car is waiting out side and when you arrive back at departures her son steps out and takes the car from you - so handy. We definitely needed the GPS coming in and out of Benalmadena via the small streets. There was the train which I would have availed off only for the weather was bad.
Where the hotel is based it falls under the Funengirola, the other side of the street (about 20 foot away) comes under Benalmadena. So if you are ordering a taxi for Benalmadena the hotel must call the firm in Funengirola (legally I think). We spend most of our time in Benalmadena. The Marina is beautiful, we had lunch in the Harbour Restaurant in the Marina, the food was delicious and very reasonable (they offered us a complimentary drink which was nice). Another day we ate in Jacks American Diner (upstairs in the Marina) however I found it to be quite pricey. There is an Italian next door to it that I ate in years ago and had the best lasagna ever – will try it again next time.
We went to sea world in Benalmadena and the following day travelled to the Zoo in Fuengirola. If you are going to the Zoo I wouldn’t bother with sea world as you get an opportunity to see the underwater world in the zoo (unless you are totally into sealife). I would definitely recommend the Zoo for children. We also spend some time in Malaga and Marbella (where I loved the children’s activities on the beach, bouncing castle etc).
When we were there, the weather was bad, you could hear the wind howling through the hotel but all areas were lovely and warm. Due to the time of year, the rain and the wind, one day we were in fleeces and the next day t-shirts. Thank goodness I brought a bit of everything.
I was in the Spa and would recommend it. We also used the indoor pool, it was ok but more suited to the lane swimmer than children, be careful you have to walk from the changing room down a hall to the pool (not far) but the floor gets very slippy so do wear slippers or flip flops. Because of the time of year we couldn't use the outdoor pools so that would be a bonus in the good weather.
The pool bar on the roof is out of this world and the beds the most comfortable I have been in.
Breakfast was great with a live cooking station making eggs, omelets etc to order. Great selection and something to suit everyone. I found dinner was disappointing however my partner was happy each night with his. Some of the food was only lukewarm so this is still an issue in the hotel. We always had a good lunch when we were out so dinner would only be light.
I loved the hotel but I would prefer to stay somewhere closer to the centre/ beach next time. The price of a taxi into Benalmadena (which is closer than Fuengirola) was €17 down (Fuengirola taxi that must be ordered from the hotel) and €15 home (Benalmadena taxi).
We did have one luggage bag with us and I should have remembered that the airport in Malaga on a Sunday morning is crazy. DO book speedy boarding back it is worth it. We queued for over 2 hours until our flight was announced and then they took us forward. We had to run to our gate which was closing. Too stressful for me!! Overall a lovely holiday and I was thankful I was in a beautiful hotel considering the bad weather.

Room Tip: Junior Suites and if travelling with small children ask in advance for the same floor as most have s...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Donegalnative
Reviewed March 8, 2013

Just back from a week's stay in this ultra modern - and clean - hotel. Both good and bad points, often depending on personal preferences. I found the food very good as I had a mixture of freshly cooked fish every evening, my wife found little available to her liking as she is a vegetarian. The restaurant staff were excellent though the acoustics inside were too echoey especially with kids making a noise; we'd been informed this was an adult only hotel but found that far from being the case.

The bedrooms were ultra modern but gave little privacy to anyone requiring it; the toilet and shower cubicle opening onto the bedroom shared a perspex sliding door that could only ever mask one. The beds were fine. Storage space was insufficient meaning we had to leave half of our clothes in one of the suitcases. Lots of channels on the large screen TV but only 3 with English - French News in English, Russian News in Engish and Algezera News in English - so not much use.

The Infinity Pool and bar were open but we were unlucky in being there during a 'bad weather' week. Far too windy to be up on the roof. We experienced thunder and lightening with a nightime hailstorm and, because of prebooking, had to drive through snow most of the way to Granada where we arrived to a snow blizzard (none of which was the fault of the hotel). The sports facilities and spa were excellent; unfortunately, and something never experienced elsewhere, kids were allowed into the spa unaccompanied.

A car is really a must. Whilst there is a courtesy train - such as seen at Disney - down to the seafront, the hotel is on an extremely steep incline with no amenities, absolutely no amenities, until 1km either up or down the hill. So nowhere for a stroll other than the grounds of th hotel. Car rental at Malaga airport was so cheap so do hire one.

Overall, the hotel was / is very good but not to everyone's taste. We would go back (but only in better weather). And, if you do go, do take a ride on the cable car at Benalmadena.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Roy D
Reviewed March 5, 2013

just returned from a five day stay. never one to complain everything was good except for the food. very very poor not a four star more like a two star. we got a good deal so far the price was very good but would have been very disappointed if paid any more. . at dinner i felt like i was in a canteen not a luxury hotel . but the rest of the hotel is lovely very chic. need to sort food though as lots of other guests were complaining as it was barely warm some nights.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple