DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Resort & Spa Reserva del Higueron
Ranked #10 of 37 Hotels in Fuengirola
Assen, The Netherlands
“Poor food”
Reviewed February 23, 2013

Not happy with our stay, mainly because of the food. We had half board but dinner was so poor that from 7 evenings, we had dinner in the hotel only 4 times. Meat and fish has all been unfrozen. It neither looks well nor tastes well. Besides that, the food is cold very often. Worst food we ever had in a holiday hotel.
Rooms are quite alternative with the toilet practically in the room, which we did not like. The beds were o.k.. There is not enough space in the room to store clothes etc.
Personnel was friendly and service was o.k. Wellness was very good but does not belong to the hotel and has to be paid separately. Hotel guests can use the facilities of the local fitness club (ground floor), which is very good.
In the direct neighbourhood there are hardly any possibilities to take a walk or go to a restaurant so for a stay in this hotel you need a car.
We would not go back to this hotel.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (183)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Czech first
  • Finnish first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Pwllheli, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 20, 2013

Delighted with our stay, the hotel staff were excellent -always helpful and courteous! Rooms were simple with lovely balcony overlooking the gardens, dressing gowns for comfort - tv channels limited but this is not a big deal! The infinity pool and leisure facilities at the hotel were excellent and always available. I would have given the hotel a 5 had it not been for the cold food at breakfast and dinner, such a shame as this really is a delightful hotel which could be amazing with the addition of hot food!!! Loved the complimentary coffee, wine and water in foyer-a lovely touch!

2 Thank 123Leanne123
Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 18, 2013

I'll try not to repeat too many of the earlier comments but here is an update after returning today from a four night stay. The hotel has heeded comments about the chill in the public areas and reception was warm during our stay. Al Rolo restaurant has very recently closed down (not surprised when I saw the prices), so there doesn't seem to be an a la carte dining option. If you are without transport, there is nowhere to eat within easy walking distance. Some basic information literature now provided in the rooms.

The evening bar arrangements were not clearly advised - sometimes nearby to reception and once at the Infinity Pool, despite this bar supposedly closing at 6pm. This annoyed my partner greatly. Also a private party for Valentines Day was held on Saturday 16th - no warning to the existing hotel guests and no invitation to the party, despite the music going on until after 1:30am. The hotel was completely full on this night, but not with the type of clientelle I think they wanted to attract.

Don't share a room with anyone you don't know well - yes the bathing arrangements are a bit unusual. Decor is very modern, but may not wear well. Food is average and usually luke warm. Staff friendly and helpful. Beds lovely.

Wouldn't return, mainly because of location, but glad we went while the hotel is still new.

1 Thank Traveller_B33
Durham, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 12, 2013

Great hotel very modern and clean ,on the downside the infinity pool wasnt open when we arrived which we werent told at time of booking,the breakfast was very dissapointing cold food food dried out and eggs undercooked so didnt eat there again went out for breakfast. signage in hotel was poor and hotel restaurant also closed which we werent told at time of booking . staff very pleasant gym good.

1 Thank michael253
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed February 9, 2013

Beautifully designed hotel, very modern, the rooftop views from the pool were exquisite, and the views from the room were fabulous. Safe and private parking for a car (which you will need to get around the area). We loved the simplicity of the rooms. The beds were very comfortable and the sheets were crisp. Tons of water pressure in the shower, the bathtub was large and deep. The internet was not as strong as we would have liked it but was adequate. We stayed a week and our room was cleaned with fresh linens and towels every day. Mini-bar storage for personal cold food items. The staff was very nice and accommodating. During the time we stayed, one could use the beautiful health club facility and indoor pool for free. Other services were charged. While the modern design was intriguing, there are a few small things that bugged us – slippery shower floor, poor signage for location of restaurant and garage, no easy access to local restaurants. Yes, we would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ocean view
2 Thank Craig P
Taunton, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 3, 2013 via mobile

Just returned following a 3 night break the hotel was excellent throughout they only downsides that others may encounter is the hotel is on a real steep hill and people would need a car but they do provide a free shuttle up to 6pm which goes down to the beach but its still a long way to the main town. Luckily we were able and willing to walk it everyday the only other mishap was the roptop terrace/pool was closed due to Maintainence but this was not mentioned on any booking site I did email them with my grumbles they did sort this by posting me a letter for a meeting, I was really happy with the way they dealt with the slight problem the rooftop did open on the afternoon of our last day and they provided us with a bottle of cava. We would stay here again as the overall trip was superb...

• Stayed January 2013
1 Thank carpet1970
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 28, 2013

I went on my own because I needed to wind down, and it was the best idea I'd had in a long time.

The room was open plan, balcony, very clean. I read a review before I went that said it was 'a little bit Ikea' but I'd disagree. I thought it was well thought out, a little bit quirky, very bright and airy.

The staff were extremely helpful in every language. I had a small problem with the shower, but that was quickly rectified.

The food (for dinner) in the restaurant wasn't up to much, would be my only slight issue. This hotel feels like it's in the middle of nowhere (which was why I picked it) and because I was only there for a long weekend, on my own and without my own transport, I stuck to the room top bar which serves food - at a premium - and the restaurant attached to the hotel (name of which I can't remember, but I can't recommend it highly enough - staff were absolutely lovely and I needed rolling out of the place afterwards, because the food was glorious. Go late, when it's cooler, and take a table outside. Well worth every penny!)

Breakfast in the hotel was an entirely different experience to dinner, for some reason, and no issues what so ever - decent 'buffet style' food, views out on the valley: nice.

I didn't try the gym but did partake of the pool and spa, which were exceptional. I'd go back tomorrow. In fact I'd go back tomorrow just for the roof top bar and it's infinity pool... Take a look at the photos - it really does look like that and the sun beds really are round beds. If you want to do absolutely NOTHING for a few days, or just use it as a base for travelling further afield, this is about as far as you can get from the madding crowds. Highly recommended. Just go next door for dinner if you want good food and an atmosphere!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
5 Thank travelling_pixie13
Travelers also viewed these Fuengirola hotels
Hotel IPV Palace & Spa
#4 of 37 in Fuengirola
Las Rampas
Las Rampas
#6 of 37 in Fuengirola

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Resort & Spa Reserva del Higueron? Share your experiences!