“a big welcome after being away for some time”
Review of Portofino - CLOSED

Portofino
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed March 4, 2013

We had not visited Portofino for a number of years as we moved from Fuengirola to Marbella a number of years ago.

Last Friday Night, we decided to drop in after collecting a friend at the airport.

We were greeted like long lost friends by Giovanni and his team of Seb and Damien.
Lots of chat during the evening as we discussed the Italian and Spanish issues of the day.

As in the past, I have always asked Giovanni for the specials of the day. He did not disappoint
- Venison with chestnuts and
- Turbot with Spinach
- Our friend had the Swordfish

Starters were: Vegetable Soup; Minestrone and French onion soup

Desserts were: Fresh strawberries, ice cream and chocolate sauce to die for.

It all came to 111 euros including a bottle of Sauvignon blanc wine
No cover charges; No sneaky extras like adding on the 10% VAT later.

Healthy portions of the highest quality

We will find an excuse to get back more often.

There are newer reviews for Portofino

Reviewed February 26, 2013

This restaurant has been the family favourite for the past 15 years. We have never had a bad meal here. Extensive menu, good food, and superb service. Lovely outside terrace in the summer - or even on a warm, sunny winter's day. Highly, highly recommendable

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We just took a quick week away in Spain & dined out every night. Without doubt, this was the classiest restaurant we dined in (twice!) and its food was well above the typical expectation you have of the Costa Del Sol - especially for a sea-front eatery! Everything was of a standard that you'd expect back in Blighty including their excellent fillet steak with superb peppercorn sauce. Their fish was equally as good & cooked to perfection (as opposed to typically overcooked trash served too often!!). Slightly more expensive than many of its competitors, but worth every penny. We went a little overboard with the wine following their recommendation (£35, I seem to recall?), but again it was superb & worth paying that little bit more for as it complimented my fillet so well.
As my partner lived out here in her younger years & being ex-restauranteurs ourselves, we talked at length to the owner who was interesting and the perfect host. I should also mention their other waiters (especially the chap with the glasses) who were also excellent.
We can do no more than completely recommend this superb restaurant & will without doubt be back when we return for May.

Reviewed December 21, 2012

Put off visiting this restaurant as I am not a huge fan of Italian food but after numerous recommendations from friends I ate here and wish I had gone sooner. I will certainly be going again. The menu was varied; the food excellent and the staff very pleasant and attentive. Its location on the sea front helps to create the wonderful ambiance this restaurant has.

1  Thank Gemini1955
Reviewed December 14, 2012

I have visited in this restaurant more than hundred times. Everytime eating filet with baked potato and red vine sauce - sounds boring but its not - (easy to compare restaurants round the world based on same food).To this date Portofino have had just perfect always. Accompanied mostly with spouse, friends and associates - they have eaten out basically everything from the menu - most of them 98% satisfied - always something to do little better. Service is friendly and professional.