“Can't understand how this hotel got a 4 star rating!”

Hacienda los Jinetes
Ranked #5 of 7 Hotels in Carmona
Las Alpujarras, Granada, Spain
“Can't understand how this hotel got a 4 star rating!”
Reviewed August 5, 2009

We are not tourists - we live in Spain so we are familiar with many hotels etc in Andalucia but this hotel has us baffled. The publicity photographs of the hotel are beautiful but as you approach warning bells begin to sound. The hotel is situated well outside Carmona alongside a scruffy urbanisation - almost a shanty town really. The hotel drive is along a dusty scruffy track at the end of which there is no indication to the entrance of the hotel. We eventually entered through an unmarked gate which took us around the back of the building. We then trecked along more dusty paths and over lawns until we eventually located the entrance. Inside the building has been beautifully renovated and lavishly furnished with a combination of antique and reproduction furniture, all completely in character with the tradition of the hacienda. There was only one staff emember visible, on reception, and when he had shown us our room, he returned to sit at the reception desk. Since my husband was feeling tired, I volunteered to bring in our luggage. I then carried our luggage from the parking area about 300 yards away across the dusty paths and lawn again and into the hotel. There did not appear to be a lift but the receptionist was happy to watch me struggle alone up the stairs with our baggage.
Since it was very hot we switched on the air conditioner in our room - no effect! We went downstairs to ask the receptionist about it. He came up and tested it by putting his hand in front of it and declaring it to be cold. We said no it isn't, he repeated, yes it is etc and we could see there was no point in continuing the conversation. We went for a swim to cool down instead. The pool was lovely but the covered area near the pool was semi derelict with a few old plastic loungers and chairs - bizarre! Also we noticed there were only 2 other couples there.
Too tired to drive back to Carmona, we decided to eat in the hotel, hoping to eat in the cool dining room. However at the appointed time we found a table laid in the garden outside - the only table - no one else was eating that evening. The menu was very limited and the vegetarian options we chose initially were not available. We chose alternatives which, when they arrived, were well cooked but not the standard one would expect from a 4 star hotel. The meal was also grossly over-priced.
We spent a very uncomfortable night due to the heat. During the night my husband went to the bathroom and startled a couple of cockroaches which scuttled back under the toilet.
The next morning there was no water in the bathroom at all. We signed out before breakfast and complained to the owner's daughter about the problems. She categorically denied that there were any cockroaches, that the air conditioning was inadequate and explained that workmen had accidentally cut the water main. We received no apologies whatsoever.
Our conclusion was that it was a beautiful building but managed very badly. The fact that it was virtually empty during the hig season speaks for itself. The other guests seem to have departed the night before - wish we had!

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Yegen2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Paris
Reviewed June 27, 2007

My husband and I (French couple) went there to finish our trip in Andalousie during the Semana Santa. When we arrived, we were quite disapointed, since this hacienda seems much charming on the pictures/web site, than in reality. It was absolutely empty (we were the only clients), the "gardens" and the landscape around had absolutely no interest (you feel like lost in the middle of nowhere).
Our room was big and comfortable, but a bit "old style", which had not been a problem if the hotel was pleasant to stay, but that was really not the case.
Well, the place was so disapointing that we immediately decided to leave the hotel. We tryed to discuss with the lady in order to pay only for 1 night (we had booked 2 nights).
The important thing to notice is that I did not receive any Sales rules/conditions when I booked the 2 nights by email, mentionning for example that I had to pay even in case of cancelation or else. So we could perfectly leave the hotel without paying anything...But we thought it was not honnest and decided to discuss and pay for 1 night. But the lady began to scream and told us that she had a problem with our credit card. She left the room and came back with the owner, who told us that our credit card numbers (I sent my creditcard numbers by email when booking the room) were wrong, that we were "thieves" and that he was going to call "la policia o la guardia civil". My husband and I were totally surprised by this agressive reaction, knowing that I was sure that I sent them the right credit card number by email but apparently they had lost it.
After 10 minutes, they finally found my email with my card numbers. So we told them that now we had absolutely no reason to stay and that their agressive reaction did not engaged us to pay any night. They said "ok no problem, no payment"...and we left the place without signing and approving any payment.

But 1 week after, I saw on my banking report that they had used my creditcard numbers to pay...2 nights! and it was not very cheap: 320€! ...that was totally dishonest since we did not stay any night, we were verbally agressed, and we did not receive or sign any engagement!
Hopefully I could cancel this payment with my bank.
So we recomend not to stay in this place, if you go to Carmona you'll find much more beautiful hotels to stay.

We mention that it's the only problem we had in Spain. Exept these crazy farmers, all the Spanish people we met were very nice and honest, and the trip in Andalousie during Semana Santa was really great!

• Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
3 Thank FAParis
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carmona
Alcazar de la Reina Hotel
#6 of 7 in Carmona
Hotel Oromana
Hotel Oromana
#1 of 4 in Alcala de Guadaira

Been to Hacienda los Jinetes? Share your experiences!