“great host , great wines”
Review of Arcediano

Arcediano
Ranked #7 of 62 Restaurants in Baeza
Dining options: Late Night
Dining options: Late Night
Reviewed November 11, 2013

Ramon loves a crowd to play to and my goodness he deserves his accolades , superb selection of interesting wines ,generously allows a sip to try.
His tapas are huge , bit rustic , but a fun evening where everyone is smiling , must try !

There are newer reviews for Arcediano

Reviewed October 13, 2013

If you want a good night out where you will be probably the only tourist but feel like you fit right in, look n further than Arcediano. Ramon, the host, is a fantastic, friendly character who is very keen for you to taste the best wines of Spain. He pours you samples (fresh glasses every time) & he also gave us a lovely free glass of liqueur on ice at the end complete with figs stuffed with walnuts!
All the tapas through the night was delicious and the bill at the end of the night was €33 which included 8 glasses of vino (not counting additional complimentary 2) & free tapas for each wine order, and two additional dishes ordered. We felt it was ridiculously cheap for the fantastic quality wines (& food) we'd had -not to mention the entertainment & atmos!
Tip: get there early & grab a bar stool. We were there Sunday night by 8:45 & there were three lots of locals queuing before they opened at about 8:45pm.
¡¡Would love to go back again!! Mucho graçias Ramon!! (It was also sweet that he had a tapas menu in English which I gather was new)

Reviewed June 30, 2013

Arecediano is a small but lively bar in central Baeza. We arrived just after 9pm when the bar was still quiet but within fifteen minutes it was crowded. The few tables are provided with stools rather than chairs and there are stools at the bar otherwise, it is standing room only. There is no table service, orders are placed and collected from the bar which is presided over by the owner. A good selection of wines is available. Our bottle of red wine was accompanied by a large plate of assorted tapas mainly sitting on slices of toast and we ordered a couple more raciones, croquettes and revuelto with asparagus. The food was fine although no better or worse than elsewhere but the lively atmosphere made for an enjoyable evening.

Reviewed May 28, 2013

I adore great food which appears to be consumed by locals. My husband and I stumbled into the Arcediano by fluke. Indeed my finely tuned nose picked up the delicious scent as we were walking past in the gorgeous town of Baeza, and even though it was barely lunch time (Spanish time) and we had planned on eaing in Ubeda, I dragged my husband in. A marvelous atmosphere, Sunday lunch, place full of local families, no English but it was easy to order by just pointing to what people where eating. We ordered the lovely summer wine which came with a very generous, delicious tapa of the day and then a terrific plate of stuffed, rolled ham which had been baked, as well as a brilliant salad. Sounds tame, but was excellent. The whole experience was terrific.

Reviewed October 9, 2012

We went to Baeza during a three week trip to Spain and we were looking for good places to eat, away from the expensive "tourist traps" at the main avenue. I read very good comments about this place on trip advisor and we decided to go.

We never got completely used to the late eating experience in Spain, coming from The Netherlands we are used to eating around 6 or 7, so we headed to the restaurant around 8:45, and found it closed. I saw some light inside and heard noises so I thought we should wait until 9 and see if it opened. While we waited more people came and we all looked at each other hoping we would not have to find another place to eat on a Sunday evening. At 9 o'clock the door opened and we were the first to get inside to find a cozy and typical Spanish tabern with large wooden tables and a couple of higher tables in the corner next to the wall and a big mirror. I chose one of these high tables because I wanted to watch everything from there. The place was completely full at 9:10, so make sure you are there on time, or go after 10:30 to find a place to sit.

We read the menu that was at the table while the other groups did the same. After a couple of minutes Ramon, standing at the bar, called us all and said we had to order there and pick up our things with him. I realized the place was functioning just with him and a lady at the kitchen, so I got up and ordered a couple of beers. He came back with two tapas consisting of a nicely oiled fresh bread with ham and some pickles. Meanwhile, we picked some items from the menu and decided to take a bottle of wine because we had read he has a good and reasonably priced selection kept at the right temperature. He opened two bottles of wine to let me choose the one I prefered and gave me very good quality glasses, which I appreciated. He brought our food right away, I cannot remember what I ordered and a minute later came with a large plate with two portions of fluffy tortilla and cheeses. He sais, this is your tapa with the wine. Everything we tasted was delicious and the portions are very big. I must say this tortilla is the best I have eaten in my life!

When we managed to eat everything we decided to order a couple more of things so I went to the bar and he told me it was way too much and that he would rather just give me half and half of all the things I wanted. I appreciated his suggestion and found out he was very right when he came back with large and very well served and presented portions of cream cheese with tomato marmalade and manchego cheese with some oil. The oil he serves is excellent and the cheeses were delicious. When we finished our bottle of wine we found out we could not eat anything else, but we agreed on returning the next evening. When I aksed him for the bill and told him about our plans to return he smiled and said he is only opened from Wednesday to Sunday... and we were leaving on Wednesday morning to our next destination, so I felt sad... but now I have another reason to return to Baeza.

He gave us two complimentary glasses of Pedro Ximenez and in the end we hugged when saying goodbye. I suggested him to have his menu translated into English, and I suggest you to go if you have the chance.

2  Thank AriadnaC