All reviews rooms surrounding sports facilities attractive hotel large balcony great room gym roadside earplugs
Selected filters
Reviewed May 23, 2018

We stayed in Finca Eslava in May 2018. It's an attractive hotel with superb sports facilities: pool, jacquzzi, gym, sauna etc etc. We travelled on to the next hotel, and realised that we had left money, passports, tickets - everything! - in the safe at Finca Eslava. The Manager at Finca Eslava was so very kind and helpful. He engaged a courier to transport all our valuables, and they arrived the next morning. What excellent service! Thank you.

Date of stay: May 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled with friends
Reviewed March 10, 2018 via mobile

The hotel itself was beautiful however the open layout of the rooms surrounding the courtyard meant there was constant noise. From the 10-11pm there was a lot of noisy shoes on the tile floor and doors banging across all floors of people coming and going. From approx 5am all you can hear is loud clattering of cutlery, banging of cupboards and plates, and scraping of chairs constantly.
It's a shame because the hotel is lovely and we used the spa too but would not stat again without earplugs!

Date of stay: March 2018
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joss R
Reviewed December 23, 2017

It is old with a lot of atmosphere, the room we had was spacious with a large balcony, very nice bathroom with the old door and loch charmingly letting light through....
Comfy beds buth Spanish pillows is not my favorite...
Restaurant dinner was excellent, We had steak of calf on a plank and stone platter. Sauce was perfect spicy, veggies perfect.
House wine is from the Finca and very good too.

Date of stay: December 2017
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 4, 2017

We stayed for one night for my husbands birthday and are so pleased we chose Eslava! It is beautiful inside and out and exceptionally kept - everything was immaculate and very clean. Our room was clean, comfortable and quiet, the free use of the fitness centre and spa was more than worth the price of the room - the gym is extremely well equipped and maintained, the spa facilities brilliant The food in the restaurant is delicious and portions huge - staff throughout both the hotel and spa are all very helpful.
Downsides?? Our room is in need of painting due to scuff marks on the walls, and the only mirror is the one in the bathroom, with the windows open there is traffic noise, the sauna and jacuzzi weren't working but the steam room and all the different jets around the spa pool were and totally made up for it - staff are aware and repairs are in hand, also no kind of tapas or light snacks available during the day.
We live locally and were so impressed we're joining the gym!!

Date of stay: November 2017
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed October 21, 2017

This is a lovely hotel but spoiled a little by a rather strange experience at breakfast. My husband and I came down at around 8.30am and there was a normal breakfast buffet laid out, with an egg station. After collecting some coffee and fruit, I went to the egg station and asked the guy behind it for 2 fried eggs. (I had seen people before me do this and have their eggs fried freshly in front of them.) He gabbled a lot of Spanish which I couldn't follow and banged the oil, eggs and cooking utensil onto the table. I was a bit taken aback at what seemed to be an unfriendly retort, but thought he hadn't understood, so tried again, asking him in my rather limited Spanish. The response was repeated again, even more fiercely. I rather nervously turned to my husband and he said 'I think he's telling you to do it yourself'!! I queried this with the guy via gesticulations & this turned out to be the case. So I had to lean across the buffet table (I am rather small so I could barely reach the hot plate) to pour the oil, crack the eggs and cook them....in fact they were falling off the front of the hot plate and made a real mess of it. He just watched me.... To make matters worse, while I was eating them, another gentleman came up and asked him for fried eggs and got them cooked for him!!!! I felt so embarrassed and humiliated....I have no idea why I was put through this....because I was a woman? ....because I was English and didn't speak a lot of Spanish? I could see that he was busy as there only seemed to be him to do this, replenish the buffet and clear tables....but this is an extraordinary experience to have in a 4-star hotel!!
Afterwards, I went to reception and asked to see the manager (who was not available). The guy at reception was very helpful and assured me that there would not be a repeat of the problem the following morning. There wasn't, but this time my eggs were cooked out of sight in the kitchen and came back swimming in a rather unpleasant brown oil that looked as if it had been re-used........!!!
It was a shame to have this experience as I liked the hotel. Our room was pleasant and clean and the common areas of the hotel were nicely furnished. The bar had character. It was positioned a little out of town and while a walkable distance, you couldn't easily walk it as the very busy road had no walkways at the side. However a taxi to anywhere in town seemed to be a fixed price of 7 Euros, so that seemed fair.
We very much liked Antequera, spent a full day looking at the main sites - the fort, churches and dolmens....and did Caminito Del Rey on the way there, and El Torcal on the way back.

Room tip: Ask for one which does not overlook the kitchens
Date of stay: October 2017