“Lovely hotel, slightly poor location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hotel Las Villas de Antikaria

Hotel Las Villas de Antikaria
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Antequera
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel, slightly poor location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2011

We had a family room which was very large and because it was at the back of the hotel very quiet. The hotel has clearly been modernised recently but has lost non of its old charm. It is located on a busyish road to the north of Antequera which is the opposite end to the museum and monuments but everything in the town is at most 20 min walk away. Those seeking excitement should try driving through the town centre

• Stayed August 2011
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Especial08, Jefa Recepción at Hotel Las Villas de Antikaria, responded to this review, November 1, 2011
The hotel is at only 10 or 15 minutes walking to the center of Antequera.
It is a litle hotel with professional people who attend you in all the moment and give same explications above Antequera.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Stevenage, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2011

The holiday package booked gave choices of 2 hotels and we chose this one due to the fact that we were booked on escorted trips around the region and wouldn't be in the hotel much. On seeing the reviews i was concerned about the food but knew we were close to other restaurants. On arrival you find (as should be expected) this is a town hotel (rather thn a resort hotel) and is on a busy road with a garage opposite. The rooms are clean, large and well appointed. The fridge worked, the TV did too but only had local freeview (no UK or music channels) and there was wi-fi although I didn't enquire about using it.

People on our trip booked half board which offers a 3 course meal for about £10 a day extra. At that price you can't expect cordon bleu and no-one on the trip was heard to complain. Breakfast was very basic as reported here previously. Coffee, toast, cheese and ham, preserves, yoghurts, fresh bread, pastries, sugar puffs and juice. All edible but no variety. At dinner myself and my girlfriend chose to try the a la carte which I hoped would prove the reviews wrong. In my opinion the a la carte meals were excellent. I had entrecote the first night which was about as good as they get (cooked perfectly), and through the week we had sirloins,pork fillets, salmon fillets (accompanied by king prawn and a full langoustine) and found little fault with anything. As you should expect the meat was very good quality and the service perfectly acceptable and veryfriendly. The wine list was spanish only but all the wine I had there was good quality even the house red & white.Other people on the trip who had read the reviews didn't eat in the hotel until I said how good it was and told me that meals outside had been of lesser quality but at a similar price to those inside the hotel.

Unfortunately what let the hotel down for me was what i will class as quality of construction and lack of consideration concerning noise. Generally I found the walls to block no noise at all. We had issues with the first room due to the noise coming from next door but mostly from a function room below and the fact that for a solid 2 hours until 01:20 one morning the staff dragged wooden tables accross the marble floor below. And when I mean a solid two hours I mean exactly that, there was no break at all. On reporting this to a non-english speaking night porter I got absolutely no assistance at all until the morning when our Rep got us moved. In the second room all was fine until the morning when I was woken by running water sounds. The second room was designed so the beds backed onto a party wall with the bathroom of the neighbouring room on the other side. With water pipes going inside the wall, the sounds of next doors "ablutions" and showering came through the wall loud and clear and woke us up. I've been in plenty of hotels before but have never had so much sound leak through the walls.

On the whole, if there are no functions in the hotel during your stay, you get breakfast outside, you choose the a la carte menu for dinner, and you get up before the people in the adjacent room you'll have a fine stay. Otherwise you may well struggle. I'm sure others will have different opinions but I can only review on my personal experiences. I'm not a moaner either, I think this is the only time I've ever complained to a hotel reception so I wouldn't want anyone to think I'm unreasonable.

I hope this helps.

Room Tip: ask for one on the 3rd floor at the back.
  • Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank nicklewis_68

Travelers are raving about these Antequera hotels

Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 25, 2011

Stayed at this hotel with my wife and a large group on a 'Spanish Classic' city break, booked with Newmarket Holidays(England).
Our hotel room was large, clean and comfortable with all the expected 'bits' for a 3 star hotel. We had no problems sleeping but some guests complained about a lot of noise coming from one of the banquet suits - after midnight till 3.30am - a local family birthday party!
The hotel is well placed for venturing into town - which is a lot bigger than you think, with all the shops, bars, restaurants, supermarkets and old interesting buildings within a one hour walk from the hotel.
We read poor reviews about the hotel 'dining facilities' so we ate out the first 2 nights - picking restaurants in the town, from recommendations on this site. We were not disappointed - El Escribano and Meson Les Hernandez - on the 3rd night we tried the hotel restaurant, on a recommendation from another guest (we have seen all the gloom and doom about the food standards here!!) but we thought - lets try it - the waiter Antonio (the only waiter) does not speak English, so problems for most of the guests(???), fortunately, I speak Spanish, so chatted for a few minutes and asked his advice - he told me to stay away from the 'Menu del Dia' (a fixed price 15 euro, 3 course meal deal!) - he said all the best food was to be had from the 'Al a Carte' menu, more expensive though - I can tell you that we had superb food - I had the best 'Salmon Supreme' ever and my wife had 'Pork Fillet' which melted like butter! A couple of glasses of red and white recommended by Antonio then coffee - all for 40 euros with a tip.
We were so impressed that we ate again at the hotel on our last night - again Antonio suggested (as I love fish) the 'Fruits of the Sea' soup as a starter and my wife (who does not) the 'Andalucian' soup - well, my soup was absolutely gorgeous - rich creamy, cooked in wine - containing cockles, pieces of hake, prawns, squid, spring onion. My wifes soup was a rich vegetable affair - a little heavy for her liking but very tasty. We decided on the recommended 'Entrecot Steaks' for mains and a decent bottle of Rioja - the steaks were massive, beautifully cooked with a rich pepper sauce, mushrooms and garlic - Antonio came to the table (with a glint in his eye) to see if we were ok - we both gave him the 'thumbs-up'.
The bill came to 65 euros with a tip. This quality in a good Manchester restaurant will set you back over £100 at least.
So, all in all a great break with decent weather and interesting trips to Seville, Cordoba and Granada (temp here hit 33C).

Room Tip: 201, 203, 205, 207, 209 all quiet rooms
  • Stayed May 2011
2 Thank Colin19654
Dudley, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2011

The hotel is well situated, rooms were clean and apart from all night party on one night, quiet. The chef has not improved. definitely dont stay half board. The food was unpalatable and not always cooked through and at breakfast we had mouldy bread, chipped and dirty cups and glasses and on the Monday morning no cereal as "the shops are shut on Sunday!" We had to eat in the bar twice as they had private functions in the dining room.

• Stayed May 2011
1 Thank fred187065
Hampton, Minnesota
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 6, 2011

The rooms are huge for European standards! It is older, but renovated very well. CLEAN. Easy location to access the freeway. Free wi-fi is a plus!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Wales
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2010

Hotel is fine, clean , roomy and well equipped. I do hotel inspections as part of my job and perhaps I am more critical. Receptionists are not over helpful. A smile occasionally would have been good.
You get the impression with the food that this part is run by a tight accountant. Breakfast is very limited, one cereal, processed ham and cheese, bread etc., Dinner was unbelievably poor. Pork fillet was cut from a pretty inedible part of the pig and over cooked on outside and not thoroghly cooked in the inside. Fish was overcooked. Vegetables nearly every night were tinned peas, carrots and occasionally beans. The local Markets are full of glorious fresh vegetables! I see that a review in April 2009 thought the food was poor and it certainly has not improved. The chiller had a cream aerosol nozzle stuck in the icecream and it looked as if it had been there for ages. Empty ice cream containers were not washed.
Oddly, the Tapas in the bar was very good and generous portions Rioja by the glass was fine.
Antiquera is a very interesting old town and the hotel is well placed to walk around the town. The view from the castle is stupendous. The little tourist bus is well worth it, (senior citizens get a discount) and the driver was very pleasant. There is a recorded commentary. Do go and see the prehistoric Dolmen on the tourist bus,if you have a car, you can take in the other sites as well. Town is well placed for visits to Seville, Cordoba, Granada and Ronda. I loved the town but not the hotel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank JiddaWales
Milano
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2010

Nice hotel with large rooms, clean and immerse in silence. Close to Malaga.

• Stayed October 2010