“Rat in restaurant!”

Globales Reina Cristina
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Algeciras
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Well what can I say....My husband and I stayed in this hotel in September 2012. We were due to stay for 4 nights but checked out after 3 as I did not wish to share my meals with rats! (SEE PHOTO) 2 minutes after the photograph was taken, 3 waiters took brooms into the restaurant to try and chase out the rat as it ran up the wall and across the table! It was like a scene from faulty Towers!
I do not think it was unreasonable to request a refund for the night we did not stay but despite my written request; the hotel has yet to contact me or refund the amount, hence this feedback. The hotel is very 'tired' and even on the night we raised the alarm about the rat in the restaurant, we never even received an apology!

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DMULL2
There are newer reviews for Globales Reina Cristina

Reviewed October 27, 2012

I came here on holiday in June and it was lovely. I contacted the hotel in advance to ask if they had recived my reservation, the communication I recieved was excellent.
Friendly staff from start to finish.
The grounds of this hotel are beautiful and it has a lovely outdoor pool area (which I enjoyed everyday) however whilst I visited the indoor pool was closed but this didnt matter as it was lovely and hot outside.
The hotel had lots to offer a beautiful seating area downstairs where you can sit and just relax after your meal. It also has a bar area with indoor and outdoor seating which is perfect for the evening. On the saturday night there was entertainment which was good the guy sang classics which the older hotel residents appriciated.
My stay was half board which was ideal as it gave me the ability to venture out during the day and explore the surrounding area. I went on a few day trips to la linea and Gibraltar via bus which was lovely and very cheap.
There is a local market too which you must go to esp if you like shopping as much as I do. opposite the market is a cafe called mornin' cafe which is lovely its just off the main stip. The lady in there is lovely and I went in there lots during my stay.
Overall wonderful holiday experience, the hotel staff are all lovely esp those on reception as they gave me a local map which allowed me to go and explore and they gave me directions to local attractions i.e the local bull ring which is about a 20 minute walk away.

Only thing I would mention for future visitors this hotel has a dress code for the evening meal e.g men cannot wear shorts, women cannot wear there swimsuits etc which most people abide to however you will always get the few that let the hotel down. The hotel did become strict on this as the week went on... also get a wifi slip from reception its free and has the wifi password on it

Room Tip: Ask for a room with views of the grounds!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Zaie
Reviewed October 21, 2012

Having recently returned from our second stay at the Reina Cristina this year, may we say congratulations to all the staff, who made it a stay to remember. We celebrated our 30th wedding anniversary during our stay, what a fantastic meal we were served, a night to remember.It's great to see the hotel going from strength to strength. It's such a wonderful hotel to stay in. We will return again in December to spend Christmas and New Year here.
This stay the hotel was busier than we have seen it in years, Every nationality the world over was staying there, creating a tremendous atmosphere, it was great.
The staff as usual were charming and attentive. The Director Beatriz Sainz who has been there for two years continues to strive to make improvments. Long may she stay here. Ann & John

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank annandjohn_12
Reviewed October 9, 2012

What a lovely place! Full of character and oldie worldy charm. Lots of 'Mature' guests who have made the Hotel Reina Cristina their second home welcomed us and we soon became part of the community which we personally enjoyed, although this may not be to everyones choice. If you want a karaoke bar and music pumping..do NOT come here. This is definately a hotel to relax in and absorb traditional Spain. I am mid fifties and my wife late forties and disabled. The Hotel was very accesible for her and we both enjoyed our 8 day stay immensly. Staff were friendly and helpfull were possible. The reason i did not give 5 Stars to the Hotel Reina Cristina are as follows.
Air conditioning in the Bedroom very poor. Even in October the temp reached 28c and it felt like that in the bedroom some nights. We were promised a disabled room, but unfortunately there were none available on arrival. We did manage to cope, but the disabled room would have been great. The thing that needs to be addressed quickly is the pressure on the staff. We are all aware of the recession and that cut backs need to be made. Unfortunately the management of the Globales chain have cut the resources to the bone at the Reina Cristina. This has a knock on affect on the food, bar and service in general. Mealtimes, breakfast in particular proved to be a bit of a nightmare. Food was not replenished quickly enough. You could arrive at breakfast and although there were only a few guests, you could wait for up to 15 minutes for the eggs, bacon etc to be replenished. Same at the bar, the barman would often disapear to help in the restaurant...again wtg 10-15 mins for a drink. The staff bless them are expected to be everywhere and all are expected to multitask and take on multiple roles. This is to the detriment of the guest. Management please take note! Guests will put up with this for so long and then they will go elsewhere. Guests will help clear tables and tidy up...but only for a limited time. Please address this issue and you will continue to attract visitors and have a Hotel to be proud of. Ignore it and i am afraid the Reina Cristina will become a run of the mill 3 Star stop over.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 3, 2012

Three weeks of heaven,this hotel goes from strength to strength food good the a la carte was excellent cannot pick out one member of staff as they are all first class room was first class the only thing which was a bit of a bleep was the most ugly lift I have ever seen stuck twice but hey I could of walked up , it does not takeaway the standard ofthehotel I cannot wait for our next visit at Xmas and new year for several reasons.

Room Tip: Room 205 is very nice.
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank deulas
MATIAS M, Community Manager at Globales Reina Cristina, responded to this reviewResponded November 21, 2012

Dear Guest,

On behalf of all the staff and management of Reina Cristina Hotel we would like to thank you for your kind words dedicated to our hotel.

We love to hear that we did a really good job, this proves us that we are heading in the right direction. our main compromise is to full fill all of our guest expectations and make them feel like home.

We will take note about all the points that you are not agree and we will pass on to our staff because all the points are always checked by them in order to keep working to mantain the quality of our service.

Once again thank you for your preference, we are very happy to know that you will return to our hotel, we will be happy to welcome you back in your next holidays.

Best regards,
Matías Melo.

Reviewed September 20, 2012

We stayed here last year and loved the hotel, so came back again to celebrate a friend's birthday. Our friends have been coming back for several years. There are many guests who have been visiting the hotel for up to 30 years who clearly love it. I am sure we will be back again. The hotel is charming and staff generally helpful. The tariff for all inclusive is very reasonable. If there are enough guests the food tends to be a buffet where the food is of a good standard, albeit not as much choice as at some larger tourist hotels. When it is quiet, generally during the week, then the food tends to be in the al a carte restaurant with a choice of four starters, four mains, a veggie option and four puddings. They are happy to accommodate requests for other things such as omellette or cheese and biscuits. The food in the al a carte is very good. You experience the real Spain here, especially at the weekends when there tends to be weddings and the local elderly population come for a dance on a Saturday night. In fact you are never quite sure what is going to happen next. Algeciras is an interesting town with some great bars and the food market is worth a visit. Be prepared though hardly anyone speaks English so ordering food can be quite an experience and you are never too sure what you are going to get. Just like going on holiday abroad 40 years ago. The hotel is not perfect. The air conditioning is very poor and if the hotel is busy service can be slow. However we like many others love the hotel and will definitely return.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank g_watson980
Reviewed September 13, 2012

We booked this hotel up front to continue our journey to Morocco. There was a mistake in the booking but because it was off season, it was easily corrected.
The rooms were OK and the service up to expectations. It is just a very nice hotel and specially considering the off season price (35 Euro including an very nice breakfast).
The only downside was that the (female) personnel left their smiles at home. All of them...
Further... Don't mind coming back to the Reina...

Room Tip: Don't come for happy smile
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Algeciras
AC Hotel Algeciras
Hotel Mirador
Hotel Mirador
#9 of 12 in Algeciras
Holiday Inn Express Campo de Gibraltar - Barrios

Been to Globales Reina Cristina? Share your experiences!