“A little haven!”
Review of Bastion Hotel

Bastion Hotel
Ranked #6 of 28 Hotels in Sinaia
Reviewed August 27, 2013

I just spent 3 nights in Bastion Hotel with my 6 year old son and I have to say that it was one of the best little trips we've ever taken in Romania. The location is perfect, half-way between the Peles Castle and the park, but also close to the station. After a short spell at the Train Exhibition which is right in the Royal Station, we took a taxi to the hotel which took 3 minutes and was about 2 euros.

The rooms are quite generous and pleasant. I felt the need for an extra piece of furniture in the bathroom to lay out all my stuff, but I managed very well anyway. For some reason, the Wi-Fi didn't work in my room either, but worked very well in the pretty courtyard where the restaurant tables are.

It is a 3 star hotel, but in many ways it's better that other hotels with more stars and graces. I found it very easy to operate there. It's got a sort of "open house" atmosphere about it - I felt okay about leaving my room door open so my son can come in and out, or leaving my stuff on the table in the courtyard while I had to go back to the room etc. It just felt safe, easygoing and relaxed.

Plus, it seems to be a hotel preferred by people with kids so we ended up spending a lot of time with other families and having a blast!

I have to agree with other reviewers about the restaurant. The food is very good, fresh and very tasty. The breakfast was ok, but lunch and dinner were even better! We tried other venues in Sinaia and they were very disappointing to say the least. The prices for the food are okay, not cheap but not expensive.

A word about the staff which was wonderful! They were all extremely welcoming and nice, they all tried to accommodate us and were all very friendly!

Every day we did something different. The central Park is beautiful and well kept, and there are also things to do for kids (trampolines, a long-ish flying fox, floating water balls, etc). The Peles Castle was our main target in Sinaia and from Bastion Hotel it's only a very pleasant 7 min walk up the hill.

We also took the minibus to Busteni and took the quite expensive (approx 25 euros return for me and my kid) cable car up to the Bucegi Plateau - but I feel I must write a separate review about this little trip.

All in all, we will return to Bastion Hotel - hopefully soon - as it was a really pleasant experience. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank adinac
There are newer reviews for Bastion Hotel

Reviewed August 17, 2013

For our first night in Romania we really hit the jackpot. We kept thinking something is wrong... maybe we didn't understand the price....

The restaurant at the hotel is great. We had both lunch (accompanied by a singer performing outside) and dinner - Included choices from pizza to main dishes. We also had the breakfast the next morning that is included in the hotel price. It was a very nice spread.

This sweet hotel is located in the forest along the path to the Peles Castle. You can walk to the castles right from the hotel.
Note: Make sure you return the same way. If you walk down the path where the souvenir shops are you can not get back because there is a river there! ;-) So explore the shops and then go back up to the same road.

The town is also in walking distance - though you may not want to leave the hotel!

We had a two bedroom suite with 2 bathes for the 5 of us. The rooms were very large, had TVs in each bedroom and also free fast WIFI.

One of the desk staff was incredibly helpful. He sat with me for quite awhile explaining where to hike in the mountains.

The hotel has parking.

The only minus to this hotel is that we had to climb up 3 flights of stairs (50 steps) to our room at the top. If you order early - try to get a lower floor room.

One night for 5 people, including lunch, dinner and breakfast cost us less than 600 Lei

Room Tip: Get a lower floor room so you don't have to walk up so many stairs.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
12  Thank Oran A
Reviewed July 21, 2013

Everything about this hotel, from check in to check out was fantastic.

The staff are professional and polite. My train arrived into Sinaia before Check in time, and Claudia kindly informed me that it would be another hour before a room was ready, which was still before the official check in time, but I left my bags and went to explore Peles castle. It was refreshing to turn up to a hotel before check in time and not be treated with a look of disgust. The customer service here is great.

The hotel is a 5 min walk from Peles, and at least a 15 minute walk to the town, which didnt bother me. My room was clean, spacious and smelled amazing, whatever they use to clean the room! They have your typical hotel toiletries,and a mini bar which I didnt use. Only downside to my room (401) was that the wifi signal did not reach there, should maybe add another wifi router for that part of the hotel.
I didnt have dinner in the hotel but used they're beautiful courtyard to chill out in the evening, and work on my laptop.

There was a good spread at breakfast...juice, coffee, cereal, fruit, cheese, ham, sausage, yogurt...something for everyone!

Check out was also quick and simple, where the receptionist gladly called a taxi to take me to the train station.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled solo
10  Thank Fi123
Reviewed July 21, 2013

excellent hotel, best location (in forest,at 200 m from Peles Castle), staff excellent, breakfast a la carte very good, free parking....big room, fully equipped....I will return for sure. I hope to stay again in December, this year.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
9  Thank gabivaduva74
Reviewed May 28, 2013

The hotel is lovely with well furnished/decorated rooms in a really nice style and offers excellent value for the price charged. The breakfast was very good with plenty of choice of hot and cold items. We ate lunch and dinner here and both were lovely. The hotel has an excellent location about a 15/20 minute stroll uphill to Peles Castle which is well worth the visit. Due to thunderstorms on our arrival the billiard table was an added advantage. This hotel is a must for anyone wanting to visit this area and is as good as some 4* hotels I've stayed at!

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank kandr4
Reviewed May 13, 2013

One of the best hotels i ever stayed. Rooms very nice, architect design level, very close to Peles castle, far away from noises, in the middle of the forest. Prices around 50EURO/night for double room. Breakfast very good and consistent. Free of charge but guarded parking for our car. Definitely, the best option in spending night in Sinaia. Personnel very helpful, and very nice. I would strongly recommend it. For sure i will chose the same hotel next time in Sinaia.

Room Tip: Ask for the rooms at higher floor, with view to the street which goes to Peles Castle
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
7  Thank zorex
Reviewed April 29, 2013

The Hotel Bastion is a very nice place, about as close to Peles Castle as you can get. Nice staff, nice room. My only complaint is that it was a bit hard to find - surprising, since it is so close to the landmark castle. The breakfast was a bit underwhelming, but since there weren't many other people I guess they thought that a full buffet wouldn't make sense.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo